Post-Game Talk: #27 - 12/5/19 | RANGERS @ blue jackets

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Only get to see the highlights but that release trouba had on his goal was impressive.
My opinion only, but on the 1st goal skjei can’t defend passes with his skates. He should have been trying to knock Atkinson off balance with his hands.

Reactions: zephyr and egelband

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Nieves is so terrible, how he is still playing? The one thing he had going for him was his speed as a bigger guy last season, he looks extremely slow this year.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
dis defense do

tire-fire21.0.jpg

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
We did not deserve to win this game. We were badly outplayed except for a nice stretch in the 2nd period where we capitalized on our chances, and scored on the PP.

This team is not supposed to be a cup contender, and they are probably going to be outplayed most nights. What I like is the ability to scrape a win out of a bad situation. Too many times this season, we have just rolled over when being outplayed. Thats why our losses are so crooked. This time, they didn't pack it in. They held on and stole 2 pts from a division rival.

If we steal enough games to sneak into the playoffs, and get trounced, is that such a bad thing? Seems like a great learning experience for our young players that there is another gear that they need to aspire to. Its one thing to tell players that the level of play in the postseason is a cut above, and its another to experience it first hand.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I don’t see any reason boo is here over Fogarty right now with the way the two have played this season. Fogarty a righty shot kills penalties the leader in the room in Hartford I mean if we need a guy to fill in it should have been him.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Build two top lines and play them significant minutes and you should cut down on the time defending. We need our best two centers playing the most mins.

Reactions: cheech70

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
CLB gains the zone 3 on 3 criss corssing. Inevitably, the Dmen fall back way too hard instead of maintianing their gap. CLB players skate to the faceoff dot and rip it. Ranger's Dman is basically stationary the whole play waiting for the CLB player to reach them. The shot of course gets through and Georgi makes yet another save that never should have occurred.

This happens way too often. It is not a system issue. It is often the Dmen missing their roles, being too passive and hesitant, and not recognizing who's the threat, and who is covered.

Pace and physicality is not exactly how I'd define it, but it's pretty close. If they focused on that they'd inevitably pressure more when it's appropriate.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
You guys ever think that instead of all these silly takes, that the Rangers are just a team one year removed from the worst performance [sans loser points] in the franchise history, and if they didn't sign Panarin, we would be worse this year than last year?

Yo Lindy Ruff ain't developing Staal y'all!!!

Reactions: cheech70

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Georgiev had two saves of the year type saves and the jackets hit like 4 posts.

That was just a horrendous showing.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
How in hell is Tampa 13-13? That playoff loss last year must've really rattled their psyches

They were completely shellshocked. Sometimes a franchise doesn't recover from that. They were up 3-0 early off the bat in Game 1, all going to plan, and for an all-time team (regular season, anyway) to crash and burn so hard and so suddenly for seemingly no reason... I could see a coach shakeup in the near future.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I think playing Mika on the top line with Panarin is up there for one of the absolute worst coaching decisions possible for this team.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
They were completely shellshocked. Sometimes a franchise doesn't recover from that. They were up 3-0 early off the bat in Game 1, all going to plan, and for an all-time team (regular season, anyway) to crash and burn so hard and so suddenly for seemingly no reason... I could see a coach shakeup in the near future.

Are you guys aware human beings age and get slower ?

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Didn't catch the game live and only glanced two periods in replay, but thought that Fast-Buch-Chytil was a pretty good line. The two PP units look normal again.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I don't think there's a scenario in which this roster is excellent defensively. The system itself is nothing complicated. The main issue is that they play the passive version of it, i.e. defenders don't attack forwards until they're already in the zone, and they don't attack the points enough. They're playing as safe as possible, which has the exact opposite intended effect. I've seen them play it aggressively in spurts, and that is when the team has looked its best, i.e. when defenders are standing up attacking forwards at the blue line or even at the red line, and attacking the points aggressively. They basically turtle for full games. Why? I don't know. Maybe they think the roster is too young to play aggressively, or maybe Quinn himself feels too inexperienced to play them aggressively. They're playing not to lose.

It isn't Quinn telling them to play less aggressively. It's the situation and the players themselves that dictate that. If we turn the puck over at their blueline and don't have bodies back, the dmen aren't going to stand up at the blueline and risk the other team getting around them. They can't always play aggressively on defense, just like they can't always carry the puck into the offensive zone. Sometimes you have to dump and chase rather than risk turning it over because the other team is standing up at their blueline.

Just because a team wants to play a certain way doesn't mean the other team is just going to let them do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad