3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
it's most of it, and they rarely change their behavior. keep repeating IMO.
It's certainly part of it, they routinely lose puck battles in all 3 zones, get knocked off the puck with ease and move at a slower speed than other teams. But there are other problems that I rarely ever see him talk about. So while I get your point it would be nice to see him touch on some other things.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Yes it was sweet that Bread scored a goal but I voted for Georgie 3 times as he no question put on the the best goaltending performance by Ranger goalie definitely this season and maybe even last year as well as I don't recall him or Hank doing what Georgie did tonight.

He was simply stupendous and tho it can be argued we didn't deserve to win I say f*** it seeing we've lost plenty of games over the past year and a half where we lost games we dominated. So we'll take the two points and move on.

Ya know if we aren't careful we just might end up being on that playoff bubble team after all which would be pretty dang awesome and surprising at the same time.

Reactions: The S5 and egelband

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
This is certainly true but I would rather get 2 points and be outplayed than the other way around. I don't know why we are so bad in the D zone. Is it personnel or coaching?
I don't think there's a scenario in which this roster is excellent defensively. The system itself is nothing complicated. The main issue is that they play the passive version of it, i.e. defenders don't attack forwards until they're already in the zone, and they don't attack the points enough. They're playing as safe as possible, which has the exact opposite intended effect. I've seen them play it aggressively in spurts, and that is when the team has looked its best, i.e. when defenders are standing up attacking forwards at the blue line or even at the red line, and attacking the points aggressively. They basically turtle for full games. Why? I don't know. Maybe they think the roster is too young to play aggressively, or maybe Quinn himself feels too inexperienced to play them aggressively. They're playing not to lose.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I mean at some point when you basically overturn the entire roster during the last 3-4 years and there are still fundatmental problems, it’s probably an organizational issue

I refuse to believe that it’s solely the player faults because they’re just not executing

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
the system they seem to default to as a group isn't good for a variety of reasons, but we've also seen them do the forbidden arts of neutral zone pressure and standing up at the blueline before in isolated games. so they CAN do it, they just dont.

but defense when you're playing zone comes down to disruption and taking away time and space, which can best be achieved through high effort and hitting them.

so, pace and physicality.
And I CAN from time to time shoot a basketball into a hoop. That doesn't mean I don't suck at it or that I'm just choosing not to the times I don't.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I mean at some point when you basically overturn the entire roster during the last 3-4 years and there are still fundatmental problems, it’s probably an organizational issue

I refuse to believe that it’s solely the player faults because they’re just not executing
Nah, it's that we just don't try.

Reactions: Oscar Lindberg

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Keep playing Ryan Strome like Hes a top line center over Mika and you’re going to get pinned a lot. He played 3 mins more than Mika almost 10 mins more than Chytil. We need to have centers that drive the play getting the vast majority of mins. This Strome love affair because he produced next to Panarin is hurting us a lot. Really is. The

Reactions: jas and CasusBelli

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Shot_rates.PNG

Hockey just isn't fun and the Rangers aren't an NHL team.

Every year from 15-16 on is exactly the same.

As bad as that is and as poorly as they have played today and as much as I like analytics, it's stuff like "the Rangers aren't an NHL team" when they have a somewhat respectable record that gives advanced stats a bad name.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
At least KK’s conditioning looked better; he didn’t look gassed halfway into his shifts, and he was moving his legs, even if he didn’t create chances or score goals. I want to see him more engaged. He looks like a perimeter player waiting for something to happen.

Reactions: egelband

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
At least KK’s conditioning looked better; he didn’t look gassed halfway into his shifts, and he was moving his legs, even if he didn’t create chances or score goals. I want to see him more engaged. He looks like a perimeter player waiting for something to happen.

He did make a key play on the first goal with a few seconds to go in the 1st period.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The Panarin line got buried all night. And they played 20 plus mins. You cannot keep running Strome out there because he gets gifted points playing with bread. They were the worst 3 players according to the charts and it shouldn’t surprise anyone. Been banging this drum for weeks. And now with Mika back there’s zero excuse to have Strome as your defacto top line guy.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
No. He forechecked and prevented Columbus player from gaining possession, got the puck to Mika, who made a great pass to Lemieux to score with 8 seconds left in period.
He neither scored nor had the primary assist. Great to see him on the scoreboard ... but I expect more engagement from a top-notch talent and high draft pick (even if it doesn’t translate to goals in the first season or two).

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
The Panarin line got buried all night. And they played 20 plus mins. You cannot keep running Strome out there because he gets gifted points playing with bread. They were the worst 3 players according to the charts and it shouldn’t surprise anyone. Been banging this drum for weeks. And now with Mika back there’s zero excuse to have Strome as your defacto top line guy.
Says a lot about Artemi’s conditioning though. He’s a beast. Something about guys who train under Torts ...

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Boy, reading this thread without reading between the lines & you'd think we got blown out 8-1. To be fair, I didn't see the game.

This is HFNYR after all where everything gets blown out of proportion. Their defensive zone coverage was abysmal and they were outshot by a wide margin and outplayed. The officiating was dreadful and didn't do them any favors. Georgiev and Trouba were great. Thats about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad