Post-Game Talk: #25: FLYERS 4 at Penguins 2, Saturday, Dec. 1, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Eat that, Crosby!

Eat that, Malkin!

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

Funny-Boy-Fake-Muscle-Gif.gif

Flashspec

Jan 7, 2009
Toronto, ON
WOOOOOOO!

DtYT6ksVsAA53gQ

This demonstrates how the Flyers are still stuck in the 70s. Just constantly overstating the importance of someone dropping the gloves etc. Sure, that may have sparked the team a bit, but if Stolarz doesn't make the saves, or if the goalscorers don't score the goals, they don't win. They should get the accolades (mostly Stolarz I'd say - he's still fighting it a bit and looks way too small in net for big guy). I like Simmonds, but he didn't do too much this game. If they really value toughness, they sure didn't show it when Kessel ran Stolarz (whether intentionally or not). At that point, someone should be stepping in there. Same goes for Malkin. This is where I think the Bruins do it right. They display TEAM toughness, rather than a having a guy scrap here and there.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
A win? Holy smokes. Forgot about these.

Provorov: Thrilled to see the old band back together on the top pair. Baby steps.
  • First goal is tough. Provorov with an aggressive pinch that he normally can handle, but got tied up with a Penguin which took him out of the play.
  • Nice play on the 3-1 and then pounced quickly and decisively on a loose puck near the defensive blue line, skated it into the offensive zone
Ghost: Broke up a staggered 2-1 by shading the Penguin crashing to the net then blocked then anticipated the shot and tipped it away. Skate the puck out during the ensuing flurry around Stolarz who again made some nice saves. But is this reason he hasn't been so....Ghostish as he normally is?
KFeNnPk.png

AMac giveth, Amac taketh away
  • That play he made on the first goal was fine as hell.
  • Then he struggled to win a foot race to a puck he had a 15 foot head start on and subsequently threw the puck into our own slot. Shocking, I know. Stolarz to the rescue
  • Had an easy skate out when he gathered the puck 10 feet inside our zone. Instead of skating into the weak side space he had, he skated straight ahead allowing Malkin to pressure him. Coughed it up prior to gaining the red line
Gudas: omg that shift where he wiped Crosby twice.

Hagg: good game tonight- only had one brutal turnover that led to great scoring chance by Crosby. Baby steps.

Konecny: on a f***ing mission. Breakaway goal, semi breakaway, couple nice steals (one on Crosby), drew 2 penalties.

Sanheim: another day at the office
  • That play to break up Crosby's slam dunk is a perfect example of his instincts imo. He's so smart with and without the puck, hardly makes a blatantly wrong play, pinches effectively, and picks the right times to carry the puck. As long as this part of his game continues to develop he's going to be a beast
  • There was a play where he had to deal with a one touch centering pass in the NZ to a breaking Hornqvist. Sanheim was a little off balance after trying to knock down the pass, then Hornqvist picked it up with speed looking to blow by him for the semi breakaway depending on if Gudas could help effectively or not. Sanheim stayed right with him, forced him wide, then stuck with him as he turned and skated back to open ice towards the blue line. Ended up forcing him out of the zone for the offside. Our little boy is growing up. Get this kid to the AHL.
  • Led a rush leading to a tic tac toe quick strike scoring chance after a nice reception of a bad pass by Weise.

Stolarz: 1st star honors. Simply was a beast tonight.

That second Pittsburgh goal is some shit that pisses me off. Weise can't handle a pass from Ghost, suddenly Sheahan is whizzing by him since Ghost's momentum is taking him forward into the NZ. I'd like to see what he saw and if there was a better outlet option for him. Speaking of Weise, love seeing him out there matched against the Malkin line with a one goal lead with 4 minutes left then with 2 minutes left then with 30 seconds left. Hextall is ridiculous. Do you believe he's STILL forcing Hyucksting's hand even after being fired?

Luckily we got to go 3 games without seeing this PP. Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. Of note, 0/3 on the PP. Shocking, I know. What really is shocking is we're looking at a 4th game with no PPGA. Dare I say there's flashes of aggression? Maybe we could work on that. Just a thought. Laughton individually has been a beast on the PK this year. Always looking offense first too, tonight no different with that sweet pass to our best forward, Dale Weise.

Another thought: Malkin is a :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:er, and may I add so are Penguins fans. Exhibit A: the 75 people booing Giroux "whenever he touches the puck", which was like 5 times in the 1st period. Please. Posers.

oKo4TkW.gif

Last edited:

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
. Stolarz almost seemed to be on his way out before our Mr. Glass goalies did Mr. Glass things.
Thank god they did. Nothing about either player's career to this point made me think Lyon had a better shot than Stolarz. \

Hexy needed to go. A lot of his bestpersonnell decisions were simply mistakes brought about by injury

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Stolie is awesome, Malkin and Hornqvist are big time assholes with little brains to use.

If the plan is to keep Hak and Lappy while trading away someone after getting a new GM, they can f*** off.

Rewatching the game now, the Jake-G connection to tie it at 2:2 was beautiful, the shift by Gudas with multiple hits on 87 was great too. Laughton with an amazing pass to Weise on that shorthanded goal

Last edited:

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Provorov: Thrilled to see the old band back together on the top pair. Baby steps.
  • First goal is tough. Provorov with an aggressive pinch that he normally can handle, but got tied up with a Penguin which took him out of the play.
  • Nice play on the 3-1 and then pounced quickly and decisively on a loose puck near the defensive blue line, skated it into the offensive zone
Ghost: Broke up a staggered 2-1 by shading the Penguin crashing to the net then blocked then anticipated the shot and tipped it away. Skate the puck out during the ensuing flurry around Stolarz who again made some nice saves. But is this reason he hasn't been so....Ghostish as he normally is?
Even though Provy played against Crosby, his corsi% 21.88(by far lowest on the team) is brutal! Only 7 shot attempts when he was on the ice 5v5 (22:15 minutes). Ghost had bad numbers too. They are responsible for both goals against. I'm not too excited about the game.

Reactions: marcsson68

flyersfromquebec

Jul 22, 2012
We looked like **** and got a lucky win. Can we all stop pretending that Hak has been freed. He is still a garbage coach thats going to cost us many chances

Aside of Sanheim (Macdonald 20 min), the usage and minutes are almost perfect in this game. I loved the effort they showed and no usual shell at the end with the right players on the ice. The 3 period were constant. 0/1 the PK. I dont wanna judge base on only 1 game, its maybe a coincidence but it's a great start for better coaching.

You can deny it all you want, but if we play CONSTANTLY like this the rest of the season...with this kind of usage and team effort. It will means Hakstol was being control by Hex weither you like it or not.

It's just 1 game, but like I said before the game, its 1 game Hak have to show how HE coach post-Hextall. Now let see if its sustainable.

Doodootheclown

Oct 24, 2011
DelCo
Stolie is the truth. He is the savior of the nets. When Elliot comes back, waive Neuvy. He's not in the teams long term plans no matter who the GM is, at least Stolarz would get a chance to prove he belongs as a back up in the NHL.

Reactions: JXC and raydavies29

Breeze 44

Jan 20, 2007
South Jersey
Even though Provy played against Crosby, his corsi% 21.88(by far lowest on the team) is brutal! Only 7 shot attempts when he was on the ice 5v5 (22:15 minutes). Ghost had bad numbers too. They are responsible for both goals against. I'm not too excited about the game.

Ghost and Provy should not be paired together, they have been on the ice for 4 of the last 5 goals the Flyers have given up. they don't play well together.

raydavies29

Nov 23, 2018
nice win boys .. guess we have hakstol a little longer.. i wonder if it was hextal who was holding hakstol back .. telling him how to coach
EverlastingSparseChupacabra-small.gif

Reactions: JXC

Travat

Feb 24, 2018
Really proud of the effort tonight. Any day we beat the Penguins is a good day. Haskshell dump and chase scared the crap out of me late in the 3rd period.
They dump but don't chase, that's the problem, their play with a lead late is very similar to their penalty kill, passive not aggressive!

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Aside of Sanheim (Macdonald 20 min), the usage and minutes are almost perfect in this game. I loved the effort they showed and no usual shell at the end with the right players on the ice. The 3 period were constant. 0/1 the PK. I dont wanna judge base on only 1 game, its maybe a coincidence but it's a great start for better coaching.

You can deny it all you want, but if we play CONSTANTLY like this the rest of the season...with this kind of usage and team effort. It will means Hakstol was being control by Hex weither you like it or not.

It's just 1 game, but like I said before the game, its 1 game Hak have to show how HE coach post-Hextall. Now let see if its sustainable.

that's the kind of mindset that's just going put the franchise in the toilet, the coach is reason why people arent going to the games, no matter how many games they win, the coach has to go, his fault or not, fans are already tuned out on the product, they are not coming back unless it's a clean slate, otherwise you might just sell the franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad