Post-Game Talk: #25: FLYERS 4 at Penguins 2, Saturday, Dec. 1, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I remember all those teams John Scott, Bob Probert and Craig Berube captained
i.jpeg

WestrnPhlyr

Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
Jul 17, 2015
NW Inland Empire
I remember all those teams John Scott, Bob Probert and Craig Berube captained
Sandy Macarthy and Donald Brashear as well :naughty:

Rule #1 of the Internet : Never read Facebook comments.
Oh c'mon Reb... it's fun.... in a "I'm glad I'm not that stupid and reactionary" sort of way. :laugh::laugh::naughty:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah, the fighting thing has become nostalgia.
A good hit is just as effective firing a team up, a big goal even more.

Which is why "toughness" is misunderstood by fossils, Gudas is more effective this year b/c he's just as tough but not as stupid as he was.

Raffl has always been tough, but in the right way, it's not just hitting people, it's where you hit them, hit people on the forecheck and you discourage them from retrieving pucks in the corner, hit people at the blue line and they become wary about entering your D-zone.

In today's NHL "strategic toughness" is the key, the speed to get to the play, the grit to deliver a hit, the brains to know when to do so and how to avoid picking up cheap penalties.

Reactions: DaphneLion

joez86

Jan 20, 2006
Saying Simmonds' fight might have gave them a spark? Fine.

Saying Simmonds' fight is largely responsible for them winning? Idiotic.

Saying Simmonds' fight caused Konecny's breakaway goal (our broadcast team actually said this)? ****ing braindead garbage.
Does Claude Giroux somehow not have an idea of the pulse of the team, or did he give Simmonds the helmet to impress Holmgren and his ilk?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Does Claude Giroux somehow not have an idea of the pulse of the team, or did he give Simmonds the helmet to impress Holmgren and his ilk?
There's a difference between the players liking what Simmonds did and it actually being why they won. :laugh:

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Fighting should be brought back in full time. Best hockey ever played was when fighting was at it's highest.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Fighting should be brought back in full time. Best hockey ever played was when fighting was at it's highest.

That has zilch to do with the fighting and everything to do with a talent rush fueled by a combination of the post-WWII baby boom and the maturation of youth hockey development at a time when the sport was far more accessible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad