OT: 22e Mondial de la bière

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I've only recently started to explore the Quebec microbrewery scene so I thought I'd bump this thread to keep benefiting from all of you guys' knowledge :) I went to the Bièrologue yesterday and bought some stuff from micros I remember you guys said were good. I got the saison Rustique and American pale ale from Dunham and also bought the Double Malédiction from St-Bock (I love the Malédiction so I'm looking forward to try that one).

I wanted to read your explanation again about McAuslan as I had a Ste-Ambroise IPA in a bar this week and I really didn't like it. Good to know why, thanks for that.

I keep seeing "simple malt" products from Brasseurs illimités everywhere nowadays. Are these any good?

The first iteration of the St-Ambroise IPA was actually very good. Anglo-American IPA, very drinkable. But they changed it a bit after the 1st year and it's now a piss-poor American-ish IPA. also, when they got brought by RJ, or around that moment, all their beers, except the Stout and MAYBE their Scotch Ale, began to have diacetyl problems, who typically occurs when the Yeast isn't given enough time to clean up its mess. In other words, they don't let it ferment long enough before bottling. The result is a butter-to-bitterscotch aroma/taste and a oily mouthfeel.

Simple Malt? Mostly good. I think their non DH IPA's are very stuck in 2009, but they're nonetheless well-made. All their bottled stuff is good-to-great, even if they tend to be heavy beers that are not sessionnable at all... For what they are, the Golding and the Altbier are very good.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
The first iteration of the St-Ambroise IPA was actually very good. Anglo-American IPA, very drinkable. But they changed it a bit after the 1st year and it's now a piss-poor American-ish IPA. also, when they got brought by RJ, or around that moment, all their beers, except the Stout and MAYBE their Scotch Ale, began to have diacetyl problems, who typically occurs when the Yeast isn't given enough time to clean up its mess. In other words, they don't let it ferment long enough before bottling. The result is a butter-to-bitterscotch aroma/taste and a oily mouthfeel.

Simple Malt? Mostly good. I think their non DH IPA's are very stuck in 2009, but they're nonetheless well-made. All their bottled stuff is good-to-great, even if they tend to be heavy beers that are not sessionnable at all... For what they are, the Golding and the Altbier are very good.

Thanks. What is a non DH IPA? :)

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Brasseurs Illimités are alright. I used to think they were going for the same market as RJ and Alchémiste, but they've been experimenting a lot with their brews and it's good to see.

Their "O" beer from the alphabetical series was one of the best I've had last year and they since started to brew it casually under the DH IPA name.

It's worth trying.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
Brasseurs Illimités are alright. I used to think they were going for the same market as RJ and Alchémiste, but they've been experimenting a lot with their brews and it's good to see.

Their "O" beer from the alphabetical series was one of the best I've had last year and they since started to brew it casually under the DH IPA name.

It's worth trying.

Thanks, I'll try to look for it.

Now, if I try to get into the "Saisons" beers. What should I try?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad