OT: 22e Mondial de la bière

ashtraygirl

Nov 22, 2008
Montreal
I am currently enjoying Brasserie Dunham's double IPA (7%, 3 coupons for 4oz.). Not bad at all - the bitterness isn't overwhelming and good bang for your buck. Plus, it was really cold!

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Checking in from Saturday morning, everything I wanted to try is gone. I always tell myself this is the year I don't wait until Saturday to go and I always screw myself. Oh well getting drunk on good beers anyway. Report to follow.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Checking in from Saturday morning, everything I wanted to try is gone. I always tell myself this is the year I don't wait until Saturday to go and I always screw myself. Oh well getting drunk on good beers anyway. Report to follow.

What were the beers you wanted but are gone?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Same thing for me, man. Theres a lot gone.

Have you asked any bearded guy if they were Emm Rr Bee R one pee :laugh:

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
^ I've never had a Beau's beer that I didn't like (although I just went on their website and saw they've had wayyy more than I've ever tasted so my experience may not be an indicator of their overall quality). But yeah everything I've had from them has been good.

There was a deal on Groupon in February where you could get on a bus from Jean-Talon to Vankleek Hill, visit the brewery, sample beers, and get a 10 bucks gift certificate (or was it $8?)... all for $10! (or was it 8?)

Buses every Sat and Sun in Feb, and they would brew a new beer for every weekend, too!

I didn't get to go :)cry:), but I do stop by every time I make an aller-retour to Ottawa. Never picked up - or even sampled - a beer I didn't like. Stout, saison, porter, smoked, gruit, wheat, malt liquor... Name it, they brewed it. Good.

Definitely worth the 1-hour trip.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
Has any of you guys tried the "Granville Island Brewery" products?

Saw them at a dep near my place but I wasn't sure if it was any good...

Astormynight

Apr 19, 2015

It's a step above Molson, Labatt, Coors... but I will say it's a step below Belle Gueule, Boréale and four or five steps below MacAuslan.. but it's only my opinion

They are mostly tasteless beer but that does not taste water like Black label, Molson Dry etc... but they, always in my opnion, do not have any special flavor that makes them interesting. Grolch has more style, and I'll say Grolch is one of the most boring beer ever ;)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Pretty meh. I don't see a point in purchasing any of them. Except if, for whatever reason, I want to drink an hyper tame unidimensionally floral IPA. In that case, the IPA is... okay.

Of course, why would I want to drink such a thing is also a valid question.

It's not bad, just very pointless.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It's a step above Molson, Labatt, Coors... but I will say it's a step below Belle Gueule, Boréale and four or five steps below MacAuslan.. but it's only my opinion

At this point, I'm not even sure Granville Island is a step below non-Oatmeal Stout MacAuslans.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal

They are mostly tasteless beer but that does not taste water like Black label, Molson Dry etc... but they, always in my opnion, do not have any special flavor that makes them interesting. Grolch has more style, and I'll say Grolch is one of the most boring beer ever ;)

Pretty meh. I don't see a point in purchasing any of them. Except if, for whatever reason, I want to drink an hyper tame unidimensionally floral IPA. In that case, the IPA is... okay.

Of course, why would I want to drink such a thing is also a valid question.

It's not bad, just very pointless.

Alright, thanks. I'll try something else then :laugh:

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
What were the beers you wanted but are gone?

From my list:

Brasserie Dunham - Chevalier du Funk
Brasserie Dunham - Petite Mort
Brasserie Dunham - Berliner Melon Weisse
Dieu du Ciel - Genese
Dieu du Ciel - Exorciste aux Murs
Dieu du Ciel - Or des Marais
Trois Mousquetaires - Oud Bruin
Bodebrown - Triple Montfort Merlot
Schneider Weisse - Mathilda Soleil
Trou de Diable - L'Ours
Hopfenstark - Berlin Alexanderplatz (* the guy said they might have more later in the day but I forgot to go back)
Brasserie Generale - Blanche aux Cerises
Brasseurs du Monde - L'Occulte
Brasseurs du Monde - Pale Ale Framboise

What I did try:

Freigeist - Abraxxxas Apple Lichtenhainer: First beer I tried almost at random at the Petite Pub du Monde when I saw the Bodebrown was sold out. I liked a lot - a smoked blonde beer brewed with apples. It's strong at first but settles down nicely and is very drinkable.

Dieu du Ciel - Solstice d'Ete: A must every year since I don't always get it in stores, just a great tart raspberry beer that shouldn't really work but it's great.

Loup Rouge - Saison du Loup: Surprisingly tart at first but goes down smooth, a little bit more bitter than I would have liked but still quite good.

Hopfenstark - Boson de Higgs: I had this once before at Isle de Garde and I wasn't sure if I was served the right beer (it was great but didn't seem to match the description on the menu) so I got it again here to check and it was definitely the same one. A nice citrusy and smokey beer, not a ton of flavor but a good summer beer that I could drink a lot of.

Benelux - Fumata Bianca Gratzer: I really like smokey beers so I was eager to try this one, smells smokey as hell but has a really full taste. It's surprisingly sweet. The more I drank it the more I felt that it went down almost like a juice and I wished there was more carbonation. A weird one for sure but I liked it.

Dieu du Ciel - Moralite: I know everyone likes this one and I'm sure I've had it before, just not a huge fan of IPAs but it's fine.

Freigeist - Abraxxxas Pear Lichtenhainer: Circled back to the Petite Pub and tried the pear version, I liked the apple one better but this was still very good.

Brouwerij Huyghe - Strawberry Fruli: I've had Delirium Tremens from Huyghe and wanted to try this but the reviews are right, it's way more like a wine cooler or those old Tornados than a real beer, to me. Solstice d'Ete still manages the beery taste, stuff like this and Mort Subite is a little too fruit juicey for me. Good to try at least once. My friend had the Mangozo Mango and it was way better.

Trois Mousquetaires - Saison Brett: I didn't know anything about beers brewed with brett until I read this thread so I wanted to try it out, the smell was amazing but I was not too keen on the taste, I think it was a little strong. A friend got the Weizenbock and I really hated that.

Brasserie Dunham - Saison de Fleurs: Picked this one at random, it had a really interesting smell, not too herb-y and kind of flowery indeed. The taste wasn't much to write home about but light and drinkable enough.

Brasseurs du Monde - Blanche du Mur: A sour smokey blonde beer that was very nice, a little bitter. A friend had the Infusee which had a fruity smell and a flowery taste that might have been overwhelming for a whole glass but as a sample it was nice and actually complimented the Blanche du Mur really well.

St. Bock: Arcadia - A citrus IPA that was very hoppy and very bitter, I wasn't a big fan.

Beau's: Haters Gonna Hate - Very similar to the Arcadia actually although I don't think it was an IPA. It was citrusy and bitter and again, wasn't crazy about it.

Brutopia: Ble au Cerises - Just wanted something smoother to wash the bitter taste from the last 2 out of my mouth and it was OK. It smelled better than it tasted which was kinda bland but if I was drinking it at the bar I'm sure it would have done the job.

I didn't even bother trying anything outside (I only had a couple on my list from the Petit Pub Ameriques but nothing I was dying to have). We went out around 2 for lunch and it was jam packed and sweltering so we just decided to head back in after eating and finish the afternoon inside. The crowds inside were not bad at all for most of the day, only around 4 I started to find the wait for beers a little long. It's too bad a lot of the good brews sold out even before Saturday morning but I guess I'll just have to make a point to get there earlier.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I had Haters Gonna Hate (last october though, for VH's Octoberfest, so the recipe might have been different).

They were describing it as a EisKolsch -- a Kolsch that's frozen and of which ice is taken off, giving the beer stronger alcohol content and sweeter taste. But it was hopped quite a bit on top of that.

I was curious as well, and it wasn't good, at all. Bordering undrinkable. I ended up giving it back to the lady who served it and ordered something else.
___
There's is a serious lack of Boson de Higgs on the shelves.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Tried a few beers, none of them really jumped out to me, except one Russian imperial stout that I can't even bother remembering the name !!!! Kills me, everytime. It was one of the thickest beer I've had and it had really really strong nose, almost whiskeyish, but it was the softest to the taste. Loved it.

I generally don't drink Stouts, but I went all in on this one, tasted most available.

I even have a picture of said beer on my instagram... Totally forgot to note the name. Killing me.

Edit: It was from the transbroue stand.

Re-edit: It appears it's the Frampton russian imperial stout. Reviews on the net aren't very favorable :laugh: Maybe I was too far ahead when I tasted it, I'll try it again when I can.

Last edited:

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Tried a few beers, none of them really jumped out to me, except one Russian imperial stout that I can't even bother remembering the name !!!! Kills me, everytime. It was one of the thickest beer I've had and it had really really strong nose, almost whiskeyish, but it was the softest to the taste. Loved it.

I generally don't drink Stouts, but I went all in on this one, tasted most available.

I even have a picture of said beer on my instagram... Totally forgot to note the name. Killing me.

Malédiction or Double Malédiction at St-Bock?

EDIT : Nevermind.

If it's from Transbroue I suspect it's either Pit Caribou, Lac St-Jean or Oshlag.

I don't remember Lac St-Jean bringing any stouts tho so it might very well be the Pit Caribou Tennessee #13.

Last edited:

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
This problem is well documented and originates from the Ringwood yeast they use. While fermenting, it creates diacetyl that is supposed to fade with time but since they cold crash their beer too soon it stays. Diacetyl gives a butter off flavor to the beer.

I myself have noticed it very easily in at least 2 beers of theirs I've had, which were the Apricot and the IPA.

I've only recently started to explore the Quebec microbrewery scene so I thought I'd bump this thread to keep benefiting from all of you guys' knowledge :) I went to the Bièrologue yesterday and bought some stuff from micros I remember you guys said were good. I got the saison Rustique and American pale ale from Dunham and also bought the Double Malédiction from St-Bock (I love the Malédiction so I'm looking forward to try that one).

I wanted to read your explanation again about McAuslan as I had a Ste-Ambroise IPA in a bar this week and I really didn't like it. Good to know why, thanks for that.

I keep seeing "simple malt" products from Brasseurs illimités everywhere nowadays. Are these any good?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad