OT: 22e Mondial de la bière

Astormynight

Apr 19, 2015
Moralité is my favorite IPA brewed in Québec. It was made in collaboration with John Kimmich, the headbrewer of The Alchemist who brews the Heady Topper.

Also love that beer!

My favorites IPA are the YAkima and the IPA by Pit Caribou however

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Up for a 2nd day.

Dieu du ciel : Or des marais 6.5% (3 tix) - Saison brewed with chicoutais (???) and bog myrtle.
Very dry beer that hides its 6.5 ABV very well. I once brewed an IPA with bog myrtle for a contest and it was delicious, a very underrated ingredient to put in beer recipes. In this saison, the bog myrtle gives you a flowery taste that makes you crave for more. It also has a little spicy kick in it. I love saisons.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
Dunham : Cask berliner weisse Iced tea 3
.5% (3 tix) - Brewed with black tea, tamarin and citra hops.

So many berliner weisses, I can't be happier. The tea is really prominent in both aroma and taste, if you hate tea it's not for you. Can't taste or feel the citra at all. Little to no carbonation due to the cask but the sourness of the beer makes up for it.

I'm not a fan of teas but I quite enjoy this beer.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
A tip for those going, bring your own glass. They usually fill it a lot more than their tasting glasses they sell.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
Loup Rouge : Saison de la tondeuse 4.6% (4 tix)
A collab brew with Les grands bois (never heard of them before). It's really dry and light, a beer you can drink several glasses of. Very subtle banana aroma and taste that is typical with any saison. What really standd out is the spiciness and crispiness of this beer.

If you're looking for a beer that is refreshing and thirst quenching, it is perfect.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
Les Trois Mousquetaires : Saison brett 7% (3 tix)
One of my favorite style, I was looking forward to try this one since I missed the releases in stores.

Man is the brett powerful in this one. Super funky and candy taste. It's delicious. It's on the sweeter side as well. Definitely worth trying if you have never tried any saison brett. For those who don't know what brett is, it's a wild yeast used to give some funk in beers over time when mixed with other yeasts. If used by it's own, it gives lots pf esters to the beer just like belgian yeasts. Esters give fruitiness. There are also different strains of Bretts who each have different qualities.

If you ever come across the Boulevard Saison Brett in stores in USA you HAVE to buy it. One of the best beer I've ever had and it's a Saison Brett.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
You're allowed to bring your own glass?

You mean glass from earlier editions or flat out any glass ?

Your very own glass.

The one I'm currently using :
5Evkn04.jpg

They fillled it about half way.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
La Fabrique : Kaliningrad 8% (4 tix) - Russian Imperial Stout
Moving away from the light beers I'm now trying this RIS from La Fabrique. The roasted malt and bitterness of this brew really takes all the place. 8% seems a bit low for a RIS but I like its balance and drinkability. Really good, nothing wrong to say about it.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
Boderdown : Triple Montfort Merlot Barrel aged 10% (4 tix)
They just gave the awards and this one won a gold medal. They gave out free samples so I jumped on one to try it. It's a Brazilian brewery so you will have to look at the Petit pub du monde to find it.

I'm surprised at how good it is really. Doesn't feel like a 10% beer at all and it's not too sweet for a belgian triple. The Merlot wine really mixes well with the beer and it gives a more complex and a bit acidic taste. Wow it's good.

VanNistelrooy

Jun 15, 2005
Habs Land
Boderdown : Triple Montfort Merlot Barrel aged 10% (4 tix)
They just gave the awards and this one won a gold medal. They gave out free samples so I jumped on one to try it. It's a Brazilian brewery so you will have to look at the Petit pub du monde to find it.

I'm surprised at how good it is really. Doesn't feel like a 10% beer at all and it's not too sweet for a belgian triple. The Merlot wine really mixes well with the beer and it gives a more complex and a bit acidic taste. Wow it's good.

Went as well this afternoon.

I tried

Loup Rouge - Saison du loup
La Fabrique - Salamagone
Dunham - Chevalier du funk
Benelux - Melrose
Dieu du Ciel - Solstice d'été
Oshlag - Assemblage tardif #1
Dogfish Head - Indian Brown Ale
New Belgium - Trippel

Nothing stood out really, maybe apart the Solstice which I already tried. Assemblage tardif was probably the one I would recommend the most to try, which is a 50/50 mix of a trippel and a stout. Surprising

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
Micro du Lac St-Jean : Zec Nemiscau 7.2% (3 tix) - Hopless beer
You don't find many beers around brewed without any hops. Distinct caramel taste and aroma just like a light Scotch ale. What comes next tho is a very powerful pine taste, just like an Anned'ale if you've ever had one.

It's special, not that I really enjoy it but it's a nice experience.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
Went as well this afternoon.

I tried

Loup Rouge - Saison du loup
La Fabrique - Salamagone
Dunham - Chevalier du funk
Benelux - Melrose
Dieu du Ciel - Solstice d'été
Oshlag - Assemblage tardif #1
Dogfish Head - Indian Brown Ale
New Belgium - Trippel

Nothing stood out really, maybe apart the Solstice which I already tried. Assemblage tardif was probably the one I would recommend the most to try, which is a 50/50 mix of a trippel and a stout. Surprising

Not even the Chevalier du funk? I found it so damn good.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
Benelux : Short-shorts 4% (3 tix) - Sour session IPA
If you weren't aware, session beers are the new fad. Session IPAs aren't the most hoppy bombs out there, they are comparable to Pale ales. This one is no expection. On the nose I can smell sulfur which is an off flavor and not desired. The taste is much better tho and the sourness given by the wild yeast really steals the show. It's not much bitter.

Not the best beer around but I still enjoy it. Could definitely use some improvement.

Astormynight

Apr 19, 2015
La Fabrique : Kaliningrad 8% (4 tix) - Russian Imperial Stout
Moving away from the light beers I'm now trying this RIS from La Fabrique. The roasted malt and bitterness of this brew really takes all the place. 8% seems a bit low for a RIS but I like its balance and drinkability. Really good, nothing wrong to say about it.

It's one of my favorite from la Fab... :)

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
Dunham : Petite mort 11% (5 tix) - Imperial stout fermented in Armagnac, Cognac and Brandy barrels.
That's a lot of barrels... The alcohol is very strong on the nose, this will be a sipper for sure.

Surprisingly balanced, wow. Man has Eloi ever put Dunham back in the right direction it's incredible. They used to be so bad before he took over as the headbrewer.

I can see why this beer has won a gold medal in this years Mondial. Very complex yet balanced. If you love very tasty and dark beers this one is for you.

Don't start your day with this one tho.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Dunham : Petite mort 11% (5 tix) - Imperial stout fermented in Armagnac, Cognac and Brandy barrels.
That's a lot of barrels... The alcohol is very strong on the nose, this will be a sipper for sure.

Surprisingly balanced, wow. Man has Eloi ever put Dunham back in the right direction it's incredible. They used to be so bad before he took over as the headbrewer.

I can see why this beer has won a gold medal in this years Mondial. Very complex yet balanced. If you love very tasty and dark beers this one is for you.

Don't start your day with this one tho.

Drank that one two weeks ago. Yep. Not one to start the day, and not exactly a lawnmowing beer.

The worst is, I had a Deze Monnik is Dronken right afterwards, which was probably even heavier, and certainly sweeter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad