OT: 22e Mondial de la bière

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
When : From June 10th to June 14th
Where : Palais des congrès of Montreal
Price : 1$ per ticket (1 to 8 tickets per beers but can go higher)
Beers : http://festivalmondialbiere.qc.ca/pdf/mondialbiere-liste-bieres-cidres-2015.pdf

It's the time of year again!

I just looked at the list and there seems to be a shortage of international beers in comparison to the previous years. Very few American, Brazilian, Italian and Belgian beers.

Here are the beers I'm looking forward to try (bear in my I've already tried a lot of the stuff out there) :

USA
New Belgium : Yuzu Berliner Weisse

I discovered the Berliner Weisse style last year at the American Craft Beer Festival in Boston and it blew my mind. It's a sour beer usually at very low ABV, but this one sits at 8%. It's the perfect beer to enjoy under a warm summer day. New Belgium usually have some solid stuff so I will jump on this one very early.

Québec
Benelux : Berlinoise berliner weisse
Benelux : Fumata Bianca Gratzer Bier
Trois Mousquetaire : Saison Brett

The Gratzer style is a very interesting one that almost went instinct but got brought back recently. It's just like drinking bacon. The Succursale booth had one last year (or the one before?) and it was good.

There seems to be a lot of interesting beers, but not much I know of yet. I'll report back from what I've tried. I usually go early at around noon. I'll probably hang around the Dunham booth a lot, they usually never disappoint.

My suggestion list :

So these are the beers I tried over the years and loved.

USA
Dogfish head : 90 minute IPA
Sierra Nevada : Narwhal Imperial Stout

Québec
Trou du diable : La Buteuse (wish they had the brassin special)
Trou du diable : L'Ours
Dieu du ciel : Péché mortel
Dieu du ciel : Moralité (my favorite IPA from Québec and is a recipe made in collaboration with John Kimmich, the brewmaster behind the Heady Topper)
Dieu du ciel : Solstice d'été aux framboises
Kruhnen : King Cogne (buddies of mine made the recipe, really good)
Jukebox : Distortion
Trois Mousquetaires : Oud Bruin (Just do it, the style is rare in Québec and it's delicious)
Trois Mousquetaire : Porter Baltique
Dunham : Berliner Melon Weisse
Dunham : Saison du pinnacle

Stuff to avoid :
Brasseurs RJ
McAuslan
Grimoire
Dos Equis
Krombacher
Grolsch
Newcastle
Rickard's
Mad Jack
Creemore springs
Alexander Keith's

Brassuers RJ and McAuslan aren't the worst of the bunch, but they really are the least interesting products in the micro scene. you can get any of the RJ stuff at any depaneur for cheap, it's not worth coming here and spend tickets on samples. In the case of McAuslan, their brand really hit the bottom in the past few years with their fermentation problems. Most, if not all, of their beers now taste like melt butter.

I'll never tell people enough not to buy any Grimoire beers. Nasty stuff and really gives a bad rep to all the serious microbreweries.

Even tho they're brewed and distributed by Labatt, I didn't put Goose Island in the list simply because the products are still good. They used to be an independant brewery before being bought by AB-Inbev (Budweiser) but it doesn't seem like the quality of the beers has suffered. I tried the Goose Island IPA at a Habs/Devils game last winter in New Jersey and while it didn't blow my mind I enjoyed it. Much better than the crap we get served here at the Bell Center.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I was waiting for you to create this thread :laugh:

I find the vendor list really disappointing this year. It's becoming a "Quebec beer fest", and no longer a "Mondial". I think like 85% of the breweries are from QC. The USA list is tinier than ever, there's like not even 10 vendors! As you said, fewer international brewers than ever before too.

Nothing against Quebec brewers but I like the Mondial to try different stuff all over, not stuff I can get from a trip to the store.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
You are absolutely right and it sucks. I also remember a decade ago the tickets for the international beers were around 3-4-5 but I've seen some at 12 recently. That's 12$ for a 2 or 4 oz sample.

At least, the quality of beers made in Québec is better than ever. But I feel I keep saying year after year that the list of international beers is smaller than the previous year. I don't like the trend.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Went last year for the first time. Spent too long outside where all the big corporate products were. Wasted tickets before checking out the best micro brews inside.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
When : From June 10th to June 14th
Where : Palais des congrès of Montreal
Price : 1$ per ticket (1 to 8 tickets per beers but can go higher)
Beers : http://festivalmondialbiere.qc.ca/pdf/mondialbiere-liste-bieres-cidres-2015.pdf

It's the time of year again!

I just looked at the list and there seems to be a shortage of international beers in comparison to the previous years. Very few American, Brazilian, Italian and Belgian beers.

Here are the beers I'm looking forward to try (bear in my I've already tried a lot of the stuff out there) :

USA
New Belgium : Yuzu Berliner Weisse

I discovered the Berliner Weisse style last year at the American Craft Beer Festival in Boston and it blew my mind. It's a sour beer usually at very low ABV, but this one sits at 8%. It's the perfect beer to enjoy under a warm summer day. New Belgium usually have some solid stuff so I will jump on this one very early.

Québec
Benelux : Berlinoise berliner weisse
Benelux : Fumata Bianca Gratzer Bier
Trois Mousquetaire : Saison Brett

The Gratzer style is a very interesting one that almost went instinct but got brought back recently. It's just like drinking bacon. The Succursale booth had one last year (or the one before?) and it was good.

There seems to be a lot of interesting beers, but not much I know of yet. I'll report back from what I've tried. I usually go early at around noon. I'll probably hang around the Dunham booth a lot, they usually never disappoint.

My suggestion list :

So these are the beers I tried over the years and loved.

USA
Dogfish head : 90 minute IPA
Sierra Nevada : Narwhal Imperial Stout

Québec
Trou du diable : La Buteuse (wish they had the brassin special)
Trou du diable : L'Ours
Dieu du ciel : Péché mortel
Dieu du ciel : Moralité (my favorite IPA from Québec and is a recipe made in collaboration with John Kimmich, the brewmaster behind the Heady Topper)
Dieu du ciel : Solstice d'été aux framboises
Kruhnen : King Cogne (buddies of mine made the recipe, really good)
Jukebox : Distortion
Trois Mousquetaires : Oud Bruin (Just do it, the style is rare in Québec and it's delicious)
Trois Mousquetaire : Porter Baltique
Dunham : Berliner Melon Weisse
Dunham : Saison du pinnacle

Stuff to avoid :
Brasseurs RJ
McAuslan
Grimoire
Dos Equis
Krombacher
Grolsch
Newcastle
Rickard's
Mad Jack
Creemore springs
Alexander Keith's

Brassuers RJ and McAuslan aren't the worst of the bunch, but they really are the least interesting products in the micro scene. you can get any of the RJ stuff at any depaneur for cheap, it's not worth coming here and spend tickets on samples. In the case of McAuslan, their brand really hit the bottom in the past few years with their fermentation problems. Most, if not all, of their beers now taste like melt butter.

I'll never tell people enough not to buy any Grimoire beers. Nasty stuff and really gives a bad rep to all the serious microbreweries.

Even tho they're brewed and distributed by Labatt, I didn't put Goose Island in the list simply because the products are still good. They used to be an independant brewery before being bought by AB-Inbev (Budweiser) but it doesn't seem like the quality of the beers has suffered. I tried the Goose Island IPA at a Habs/Devils game last winter in New Jersey and while it didn't blow my mind I enjoyed it. Much better than the crap we get served here at the Bell Center.

Your McAuslan assessment is wayyyyy off. Every one of their beers is brewed to perfection IMO. Maybe you have been drinking to much of the Apricot beer but their IPA and double IPA's are fantastic and their Oatmeal Stout and Pale Ale are right up there.

Balderis

Nov 22, 2009
Montreal
You better pay 60$ and go to Boston for extreme beer fest. All beers included. I went this March.
Americans don't want to come here cause they can't sell in Quebec.
Trou du Diable and Dieu du Ciel are great local breweries. Ommegang and
Dogfish Head are well known american breweries. That's it.
There is a beer festival in Vermont in July I think-highly recommended

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I can get a better selection of beers at my local grocery store. :sarcasm:

It's been getting worse to the point I won't be going this year. :(

Astormynight

Apr 19, 2015
Il will strongly suggest to taste everything from Dunham.. they are one of the rising stars among Quebec's microbrewery. I heard Frampton is also interesting.

Everything from Pit Caribou is interesting. Since one of my friend owns the microbrewery La Fabrique... I will also suggest that you try the Salamagone, the Kalinigrad and the Gros Char.

Brasseurs du monde has a lot of quality product.

Obivously, you should try Dieu du Ciel

A note on Archiblad, althought they are brewing decent products, they are not very originals. I like the Ciboire, however.

Last edited:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
On a related note, anyone ever go to Depanneur Peluso?

http://depanneurpeluso.com/

Haven't went but I should. Seems like they have a solid selection.

It's a great place. Looks like your typical depanneur from the outside. Regular stuff and beers up front. But you just need to get in and get in the back. Great stuff. If you like craft beers, you'll find something to your taste.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
You better pay 60$ and go to Boston for extreme beer fest. All beers included. I went this March.
Americans don't want to come here cause they can't sell in Quebec.
Trou du Diable and Dieu du Ciel are great local breweries. Ommegang and
Dogfish Head are well known american breweries. That's it.
There is a beer festival in Vermont in July I think-highly recommended

Went to the ACBF last year and was mind blown. Incredible beer selection and organisation. The only knock off is it only lasts 3 (or 4?) hours per session. But it made the Mondial look like kindergarten next to it.

As for the Burlington festival, I won't be going this year. Was disappointed last year when the best beers were the ones from Québec. And the lanes for Alchemist and Hill Farmstead are always too long.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
Il will strongly suggest to taste everything from Dunham.. they are one of the rising stars among Quebec's microbrewery. I heard Frampton is also interesting.

Everything from Pit Caribou is interesting. Since one of my friend owns the microbrewery La Fabrique... I will also suggest that you try the Salamagone, the Kalinigrad and the Gros Char.

Brasseurs du monde has a lot of quality product.

Obivously, you should try Dieu du Ciel

A note on Archiblad, althought they are brewing decent products, they are not very originals. I like the Ciboire, however.

The rising of Dunham for me was unexpected. During their first years there were absolutely no beers of theirs I enjoyed. But then they brought in Eloi as their new brewmaster (he was with Cheval blanc before) and since then they've been on top.

Are the La Fabrique the ones from Matane? I've been there a few years ago when they just started and absoltely loved the place. Great food and great beers.

Astormynight

Apr 19, 2015
The rising of Dunham for me was unexpected. During their first years there were absolutely no beers of theirs I enjoyed. But then they brought in Eloi as their new brewmaster (he was with Cheval blanc before) and since then they've been on top.

Are the La Fabrique the ones from Matane? I've been there a few years ago when they just started and absoltely loved the place. Great food and great beers.

Yep the one from Matane :)

Yeah and I remember Dunham, few years ago, they were not exceptionnals.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
Your McAuslan assessment is wayyyyy off. Every one of their beers is brewed to perfection IMO. Maybe you have been drinking to much of the Apricot beer but their IPA and double IPA's are fantastic and their Oatmeal Stout and Pale Ale are right up there.

This problem is well documented and originates from the Ringwood yeast they use. While fermenting, it creates diacetyl that is supposed to fade with time but since they cold crash their beer too soon it stays. Diacetyl gives a butter off flavor to the beer.

I myself have noticed it very easily in at least 2 beers of theirs I've had, which were the Apricot and the IPA.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
This problem is well documented and originates from the Ringwood yeast they use. While fermenting, it creates diacetyl that is supposed to fade with time but since they cold crash their beer too soon it stays. Diacetyl gives a butter off flavor to the beer.

I myself have noticed it very easily in at least 2 beers of theirs I've had, which were the Apricot and the IPA.

Huh interesting..

I found no problem with their beers.

It is a personal preference though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad