Post-Game Talk: #22| FLYERS at Red Wings| Wed., Nov. 26, 2014

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Voiced concern, instead of actually, you know, taking action to deal with it?

As follows? In-game benching and healthy scratches can be construed similarly but the former and latter are also separate entities.

"I was pleased with a lot of guys, and there were guys I’m still not pleased with," said Berube, who played R.J. Umberger (point-less in 14 straight) just 10:07 and Vinny Lecavalier just 11:10.

Asked if he was close to benching some players, Berube said, "Certain guys are going to have to play better or that’s going to happen."
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...ll_to_Red_Wings__5-2.html#8HC0Cj9A18Oib2Kj.99

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
But really this team is beyond frustrating to watch. Other than top line there is just no intensity and competitiveness in the bottom 6, I didn't watch game because I had other plans, but from highlights I saw, line 2 played well. Just so many players on this team r sooooooo slow, it's like they r skating in quicksand. Every team is blowing past some defenseman and 18+40. Ugh it's been a rough few days.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
As follows? In-game benching and healthy scratches can be construed similarly but the former and latter are also separate entities.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...ll_to_Red_Wings__5-2.html#8HC0Cj9A18Oib2Kj.99

Bench someone like Vinny for Akeson, to get it through his head on how he's playing. Hell, if VV was healthy, I'd say do the same for Umberger and put VV up there.

But I mean, only saying something to players only does so much.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
So half the team wants to play for him and the other half doesn't and most likely dislikes him....hmm where have I seen this before. :shakehead

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Watch the Flames play with that good old hard work and crash and bang style then watch Philly and the no work and no intensity style and wonder why fans are sick of this ****. G and Voracek aren't 21 either and who knows what the young D will look like. 1 of them might get traded for a huge package to get us going in the right direction hopefully.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Watch the Flames play with that good old hard work and crash and bang style then watch Philly and the no work and no intensity style and wonder why fans are sick of this ****.
Maybe allowing a team to tank out works in LA where sports are a secondary thing to the beach but in Philly that doesn't work. This team had the talent to make the POs last season. Dumping Hartnell and losing a 39 year old defenseman didn't turn this roster into a wasteland. I get it that there have been injuries. However that doesn't account for the disjointed play that is going on out on the ice. Its time for Hextall to earn his bones and do what needs to be done to put out a product that deserves the price of admission. Right now that isn't happening.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe allowing a team to tank out works in LA where sports are a secondary thing to the beach but in Philly that doesn't work. This team had the talent to make the POs last season. Dumping Hartnell and losing a 39 year old defenseman didn't turn this roster into a wasteland. I get it that there have been injuries. However that doesn't account for the disjointed play that is going on out on the ice. Its time for Hextall to earn his bones and do what needs to be done to put out a product that deserves the price of admission. Right now that isn't happening.

It was a wasteland last year, the division was just awful, and Timonen is really ****ing good whether people want to admit that or not.

As far as "tanking" aka being an awful team in this town, it didn't seem to deter Phillies fans coming out of the woodwork between 2006-2012.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I've been saying this since preseason, this team isn't going anywhere, and Hextall knew it, Holmgren left a mess and hopefully Snider finally realized Al Davis didn't win games his last decade and will allow Hextall to clean the stables. Trading Hartnell for a 4th to get rid of his out years and McGinn for a 3rd said it all, reduce your depth going into the season is no way to compete, and Timonen going down made things worse.

Yes, they're mixing and matching lines, and will do so all year, this is about finding the combination of core players that you'll keep together the next few years. They were hoping to get enough production out of Umberger and Vinnie to move them, now, they're going to have to find a way to dump them, and they don't even have draft picks to throw in (thanks Holmgren).

I think young lines with above average speed will look a lot better when they have some mobile defensemen who can lead the rush and jump in, Streit is a good shooter but an average skater at this point, really, only MDZ has any serious mobility and offensive skills, Coburn can skate and hit but isn't much in the offensive zone. The others . . .

Next year the shakeout begins, I think they want Hagg and Alt to play together at Lehigh this year, then bring them up as a pairing, Morin will get a shot to make the team in camp, MDZ, all of a sudden there isn't a lot of room for veteran defensemen. So a fire sale near the trade deadline is probable.

If you go Raffl - Couts - Read as your defensive line, then you need a LW for Laughton - Simmonds and another for PEB - Rinaldo on the 4th line. Maybe they go with Akeson and see who might beat him out from Lehigh, maybe they pick up a 3rd/4th line winger in a deadline trade. If your other three lines aren't great at scoring, you at least want them to be above average defensively.

Willis88

Oct 5, 2011
Philadelphia
Sorry, guys, but that's absurd. Eichel/McDavid is likely a 60+ point player next season. Do you not think it would make a big difference to replace Lecavalier in the top nine with a player on the level of Jeff Carter right now? It most definitely would.

What??? Not absurd at all. You're putting way too much stock into rookies playing their first NHL seasons.
Morin and Ghost have bright futures but their first year or so could be a bit dicey. Defensemen take longer to develop - we all know this.

McDavid and Eichel are with little doubt, future superstars - But kind of ridiculous to assume they would turn an entire team around their rookie year.

Lecavalier has already been demoted to the 4th line.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Watch the Flames play with that good old hard work and crash and bang style then watch Philly and the no work and no intensity style and wonder why fans are sick of this ****. G and Voracek aren't 21 either and who knows what the young D will look like. 1 of them might get traded for a huge package to get us going in the right direction hopefully.

The Flames also have Brodie and Giordano on the back end. Nothing we have back there comes close to that. And their success is probably unsustainable.

I think people underplay how important it is for forwards to have a good defense. I think I can count the number of times our team has hit the neutral zone with speed on one hand this year. Most of the time, we're relying on the defense chipping the puck up the half wall, and our winger working his ass off to get it out, while the weak side winger and the center hang out and wait. In the meantime, all of the opposing teams back checkers can go ahead and get a full head of steam to catch up to the play. It's awful. It's why you need a good puck moving defense in the NHL these days. (I also think Berube should have his weak side winger swoop in to the center of the ice and support the puck carrier like some teams do, so they can get themselves going by the time they get to center ice, rather than spreading all the way out and hoping to get hit with a stretch pass)

It's why you're not seeing the "crash and bang style" that those teams play. We're constantly outnumbered and never have speed. None of our forwards are in position to crash and bang. It's not a matter of work ethic or compete level of truculence or intensity. It's just that we have a ****** D.

Losing Timonen didn't help either.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I think the person I hate most for this team is someone who doesn't even have to deal with this mess or be accountable for it anymore, Homer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad