Post-Game Talk: #22| FLYERS at Red Wings| Wed., Nov. 26, 2014

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Simmonds is not a difference maker on this team. A top Defenseman would be. Now the question is whats out there who would trade a good 1# caliber guy for Simmonds?

I said in the summer that I would only move Simmonds for a Josi type guy....or better of course. It would need to be a young guy....with term....that is already proven. Josi was the one example that I mentioned. Ok.....I sort of obsessed on it to be honest...lol.

Here is the list if the latest poll on top D. See who would be available or worthy if a trade. Hard to find.

No.
Player
No.
Player
1 Shea Weber 31 Brent Burns
2 Drew Doughty 32 Tobias Enstrom
3 Duncan Keith 33 Marc Staal
4 Ryan Suter 34 Justin Faulk
5 Erik Karlsson 35 Christian Ehrhoff
6 Alex Pietrangelo 36 Slava Voynov
7 P.K. Subban 37 Paul Martin
8 Ryan McDonagh 38 Johnny Boychuk
9 Zdeno Chara 39 T.J. Brodie
10 Victor Hedman 40 Dan Girardi
11 Oliver Ekman-Larsson 41 Jacob Trouba
12 Marc-Edouard Vlasic 42 Dennis Seidenberg
13 Mark Giordano 43 Braydon Coburn
14 Niklas Kronwall 44 Jack Johnson
15 Kris Letang 45 Alexander Edler
16 Jay Bouwmeester 46 Anton Stralman
17 Brent Seabrook 47 Olli Maatta
18 Dion Phaneuf 48 Mike Green
19 Dan Hamhuis
20 Erik Johnson
21 Roman Josi
22 Cam Fowler
23 Kevin Shattenkirk
24 Keith Yandle
25 Andrei Markov
26 John Carlson
27 Andrej Sekera
28 Niklas Hjalmarsson
29 Brian Campbell
30 Andy Greene

Edit: sorry for the layout.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I don't see the Flyers getting a top 5 pick. As sucky as they are playing and as poorly assembled as they are, there is still too much talent to bottom out with the Buffalos and Edmontons of this league. And we all know that the ping pong ball fairy is not delivering up a Flyers logo come lottery time. I'm anticipating right around 10.

I'd also at this time like to deliver an Internet kick to the temple of Paul Holmgren for sending off what should prove to be a high 2nd round pick to the Islanders.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I'd love to be able to trick Edmonton into giving us their first rounder for Coburn. That would be nice.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I don't see the Flyers getting a top 5 pick. As sucky as they are playing and as poorly assembled as they are, there is still too much talent to bottom out with the Buffalos and Edmontons of this league. And we all know that the ping pong ball fairy is not delivering up a Flyers logo come lottery time. I'm anticipating right around 10.

I'd also at this time like to deliver an Internet kick to the temple of Paul Holmgren for sending off what should prove to be a high 2nd round pick to the Islanders.

I hope hexy can get a 2nd back this year.

AFTeRMaTH*

So now all the posters that said the flyers were a playoff team and a great team want to try and get McDavid/Eichel. Pick a side and stick with it. Y

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
If by some miracle we ended up with McDavid or Eichel I'd actually be open to trading Couturier for help on defense so long the value is good. I feel like Laughton & Bellemare would offset the loss defensively while we would obviously upgrade offensively.

I'd consider it. But at the end of the day, I still think Couturier could be a valuable contributor on this team even with Eichel/McDavid. Hell, I think he could have success on the wing like Ryan O'Reilly has.

I wish there was some way we could land another first rounder in this draft, though. Walking away with one high upside forward (Marner, Strome, etc.) and one high upside defender (Roy, Kylington, Carlo) would be a coup. Instead, we don't even have a second this year. :laugh:

McDavid and Eichel are not your typical rookies. They could come into the NHL this season and be an improvement on a lot of our forwards.

Better than all but two of our forwards as soon as next year. And would be our best forward within four years, in all likelihood.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I hope hexy can get a 2nd back this year.

Yeh, the 2nd round is going to have some great players.

I really want Timo Meier. All the tools of a 1st round talent, (I mean really, he has a very complete set of tools) and is now producing like one as well, but still not thought of as 1st round talent.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
So now all the posters that said the flyers were a playoff team and a great team want to try and get McDavid/Eichel. Pick a side and stick with it. Y

I think we can be a playoff team in our division if you stop playing RJ and Vinny. Play 7 D and make them the scratches we are a much better team. With both playing, zero shjt at playoffs. Not many teams would make the playoffs with their cap hits and TOI.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

Lol, has anyone at any point in time NOT wanted McDavid or Eichel? All that's changed is the likelihood of it actually happening. Nobody's flip flopping here from what I can tell.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'd love to be able to trick Edmonton into giving us their first rounder for Coburn. That would be nice.

Yup!

Then also 'help" them by giving them Umberger for Nikitin. Biophysics are garbage but we shave off a year in contract length.

Hell...help them further and send Vinny for Ference. Again, both garbage but we shave a year off.

Oilers get a top D, #2 C(snicker), and a 3rd line great defensive 34-40 point guy(lol)

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I think the biggest things holding us back from actual contention for the cup are these things:

Dead weight bringing everyone else down, such as Umberger, Vinny, Grossmann and Luke Schenn. Trades, buyouts, any of those will do.

Lack of consistent scoring from lines outside of the 1st line. This builds on the idea that our 2nd PP unit is pure, pure garbage.

A coach that needs to find the right lines, stick with them, allow chemistry and get the best players to play. The coach will give ice time to people who either don't try hard enough or won't be brave enough to bench the ones that are making the team suffer.

Hextall needs to get phones going with some of the dead weight, even if we take some back and only as rentals. Try to deal long-term dead weight (for less) for dead weight that we can get rid of after the season's over.

Bring up the young players for next season, bring in the energy and even bring up 2 or 3 rookie D-men that I think could really do a good thing for this team.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'd consider it. But at the end of the day, I still think Couturier could be a valuable contributor on this team even with Eichel/McDavid. Hell, I think he could have success on the wing like Ryan O'Reilly has.

I wish there was some way we could land another first rounder in this draft, though. Walking away with one high upside forward (Marner, Strome, etc.) and one high upside defender (Roy, Kylington) would be a coup. Instead, we don't even have a second this year. :laugh:

Better than all but two of our forwards as soon as next year. And would be our best forward within four years, in all likelihood.

Coburn is the key to getting another 1st rounder.

As I said in the GDT, Anaheim fans would give a 1st + a prospect like a Etem/Theodore/Palmeiri

We all feel he isn't worth 6 million that it looks like he could get. Hopefully Hextall feels the same way and moves him before the deadline for a bigger return than just a UFA 2 month rental.

AFTeRMaTH*

Lol, has anyone at any point in time NOT wanted McDavid or Eichel? All that's changed is the likelihood of it actually happening. Nobody's flip flopping here from what I can tell.

Oh there's definitely flip flopping. This team will not get better without a top pick. That's how you build a team in today's salary capped NHL. We aren't going to have cap space for the next few years to sign big free agengs(which I wouldn't do anyways). I just hope Hextall actually gets to do what he wants instead of getting pressure from Snider. Im not saying tank but from the start of the season I've been an advocate of staying the course. This team is not close to contending and #1 dmen aren't available unless you draft one or you pay one and his friend 8 year contracts for boatloads of money. We have a lot of solid pieces and if we fill positions around them with drafted players we should be ready to go in a few years. Our forward core is young enough to still be in their prime in a few years.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Coburn is the key to getting another 1st rounder.

We all feel he isn't worth 6 million that it looks like he could get. Hopefully Hextall feels the same way and moves him before the deadline for a bigger return than just a UFA 2 month rental.

I' starting to feel more comfortable with losing Coburn if a 1st is coming back.

But the key is to prey on a team that thinks they have a chance right now before they fall out of the playoff race like Buffalo did to the Islanders last year. Unfortunately, like in that deal, I can't see picks not being conditional or protected in some way this far out in such a good draft.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Oh there's definitely flip flopping. This team will not get better without a top pick. That's how you build a team in today's salary capped NHL. We aren't going to have cap space for the next few years to sign big free agengs(which I wouldn't do anyways). I just hope Hextall actually gets to do what he wants instead of getting pressure from Snider. Im not saying tank but from the start of the season I've been an advocate of staying the course. This team is not close to contending and #1 dmen aren't available unless you draft one or you pay one and his friend 8 year contracts for boatloads of money. We have a lot of solid pieces and if we fill positions around them with drafted players we should be ready to go in a few years. Our forward core is young enough to still be in their prime in a few years.

And I 100% believe that is what Hextall is doing.

We all knew the D was no good going into the season. And the fact that Hextall displ not make a bigger moves showed that he was waiting for the kids. Trading Hartnell for Umberger further solidified that Hextall is less concerned with the next 1-3 years and more about the future.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I' starting to feel more comfortable with losing Coburn if a 1st is coming back.

But the key is to prey on a team that thinks they have a chance right now before they fall out of the playoff race like Buffalo did to the Islanders last year. Unfortunately, like in that deal, I can't see picks not being conditional or protected in some way this far out in such a good draft.

Yeah...Calgary, Winnipeg and Minny are 3 teams that could be like that....with Minny being a bit more of a sure thing to eventually get in.

But if we could get a 1st and a young F prospect for Coburn....I do it.

We could ask for Calgary's 1st and Sven B. And watch all the Flames heads explode and watch them turn on him. Lol

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Missed the second and third. What went wrong? Glad to see new Super Duo scored a couple.

Uhhh. Couturier has a fight in the box score? Against Detroit of all teams? What is this weirdness?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
"Second period rolls around and they get a couple goals and the air comes out of the tires," Mason said. "With this group, we can't let that happen. It happens on too much of a consistent basis when we're on the road. Where we are at the standings, you can't have that kind of effort. It's unacceptable and we have to be a lot better."

Pulling Mason, who admitted he had to be better tracking the puck, was a move that coach Craig Berube said had "a little of both" to do with sending a message to the team in front of Mason and to the goalie himself.

"I was pleased with a lot of guys," said Berube, who voiced his concern over individuals' compete levels for two games now. "There's guys I'm still not pleased with and the result is a couple of goals because of it."

http://www.courierpostonline.com/st...eam-meeting-after-loss-to-red-wings/19567267/

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey

Other than the Eagles, philadelphia is a sad sack this year with Phillies, Sixers, and Flyers. a lot of building for the future. Sixers have a plan, Flyers have somewhat of a plan, and I don't know what the hell the Phillies r doing for future

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad