Post-Game Talk: #22| FLYERS at Red Wings| Wed., Nov. 26, 2014

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
We just aren't good. Mason deserved better and our offense outside of our first line can't do much... ****ing embarrassing...

We had amazing balanced scoring the past 2 or 3 years. We had amazing PK the past 2 or 3 years... and now this.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Well, Ron Hextall screaming didn't work, maybe they'll scream at each other now.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
At the rate Berube's going with this team he could be the best thing to ever happen to this organization. He's driving this team into the the top 5 pick range.

I think Hextall keeps him until the summer anyways.

By trading Hartnell for Umber, it was Hextall saying he had few expectations for us anyways. So might as well stay the course...see if we can drop some deadweight for cap relief, and move some D for futures.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Well, Ron Hextall screaming didn't work, maybe they'll scream at each other now.

Fire someone, trade Coburn, something has to happen. You can't waste the next two years of G and Jake. There is close to 0 percent chance we giveCoburn the 6 yrs 40 mill he will be getting in 1.5 years anyways, so trade him and pkg RJ with him while he may still have value.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I think Hextall keeps him until the summer anyways.

By trading Hartnell for Umber, it was Hextall saying he had few expectations for us anyways. So might as well stay the course...see if we can drop some deadweight for cap relief, and move some D for futures.

That hartnell trade pretty much set the tone for the season and where hextall thinks this team is heading . So far he is dead on.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Unless this closed door meeting includes the cannibalism of VL, RJ, and all defensemen other than Streit I don't see it really doing much. The people there who will do the talking/yelling are the ones already leading the team and doing their jobs, anyone who isn't won't suddenly do better.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
At the rate Berube's going with this team he could be the best thing to ever happen to this organization. He's driving this team into the the top 5 pick range.

As frustrating as it would be, coming away with McDavid or Eichel would expedite the phase we're in exponentially. The long-term core of this team isn't bad at all, and adding one of those two to that group would make it one of the more promising young groups in the league.

Obviously that's true for most teams in the league, but imagining this lineup next year...

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Eichel-Simmonds
Laughton-Couturier-Read
Umberger-Bellemarre-Lecavalier

Morin-Coburn
MacDonald-Streit
XXXXX-Gostisbehere

With Sanheim and Hagg knocking on the door by that point. That's a pretty damn solid lineup both in the immediate and long-term futures.

AFTeRMaTH*

Keep Berube!!!!
I want a top 8 pick this year.
I actually liked the lines tonight minus PEB with Vinny.

Schenn - Giroux - Voracek
Raffl - Laughton - Simmonds
PEB - Couturier - Read
Rinaldo - Lecavalier - Umberger

ALL SEASON LONG PLEASE
Try and acquire picks for ******** like MacDonald/Grossmann/Coburn/Umberger/Lecavalier and keep the rest of the team together. Love this draft year and one of the top 10 players could really help us out. Fire Berubes dumbass in the offseason and go HAM after Babcock.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
As frustrating as it would be, coming away with McDavid or Eichel would expedite the phase we're in exponentially. The long-term core of this team isn't bad at all, and adding one of those two to that group would make it one of the more promising young groups in the league.

Obviously that's true for most teams in the league, but imagining this lineup next year...

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Eichel-Simmonds
Laughton-Couturier-Read

Morin-Coburn
MacDonald-Streit
XXXXX-Gostisbehere

With Sanheim and Hagg knocking on the door by that point. That's a pretty damn solid lineup both in the immediate and long-term futures.

You still have RJ and Vinny. Where's Luke and Gross ? This team isn't a 18 yr old rookie away from getting better.

I hoenstly beleive if you have those 2 on any team eating close to 10 mill in cap space and playing 10 plus mins, does any team still make the playoffs ?

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Eichel-Simmonds
Laughton-Couturier-Read

Morin-Coburn
MacDonald-Streit
XXXXX-Gostisbehere

yep. that's why it's hard to be that mad about this season. i just hope they suck enough. it would be our luck to land in the 3 spot :laugh:

Willis88

Oct 5, 2011
Philadelphia

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Eichel-Simmonds
Laughton-Couturier-Read

Morin-Coburn
MacDonald-Streit
XXXXX-Gostisbehere

To be honest, I don't think adding an unexperienced NHL trio of Eichel, Morin, or Ghost is going to make a huge impact immediately. Especially without subtracting pieces such as Umberger and Lecavalier.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I hope this closed door meeting is just an excuse to break Vinnys legs. :sarcasm:

I like the guy and he has been a great player in this league but he is done... he brings nothing to the team and is just a headache.

If he is gone Couturier and Read could stop playing the hardest minutes of any NHL forwards and would in turn likely produce more offensively. Also the other line would not be anchored by Vinny and get better possession metrics and therefore likely more offence.

And that is without beginning to consider that contract...

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
yep. that's why it's hard to be that mad about this season. i just hope they suck enough. it would be our luck to land in the 3 spot :laugh:

With G , Jake and Mase. Zero shot to be worse than Buff and Edmonton. Zero

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
I think it may be time to experiment with Giroux and Voracek apart. This team isn't going to win without any secondary scoring. It may make both less productive individually, but it could have the opposite effect for the rest of the team.

Schenn-Giroux-Read
Raffl-Couturier-Voracek
Akeson-Laughton-Simmonds
Umberger-Bellemarre-Lecavalier/Rinaldo

They'll never win if only one line can score. They'll never win if 67% of the game is played without Giroux or Voracek on the ice.

They need someone that can carry the puck like Downie last season. Giroux and Voracek are the only Forwards who presently can do this. I dont think splitting them up is the answer. I think moving Schenn down and Raffl to the top line is the best answer. Outside of demoting Umberger and Vinny to 4th line Minutes.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Fire someone, trade Coburn, something has to happen. You can't waste the next two years of G and Jake. There is close to 0 percent chance we giveCoburn the 6 yrs 40 mill he will be getting in 1.5 years anyways, so trade him and pkg RJ with him while he may still have value.

The next 2 years ARE going to be wasted since we are waiting for the kids on D. Expect it. It's going to happen. The only way it doesn't is if we moved Simmonds for a top pairing guy.

We are not moving Giroux or Jake. Couts is needed to be the shutdown guy and is so cheap. Schenn is the only LW we have with 1st line upside.

So really, our only available asset to move to get good and is Simmonds.

But again...if we have Umberger and Vinny dragging down the lines they play on for the next few years, then why bother moving Simmonds.

We have no current replacement for Simmonds internally.

In the summer, I was all for moving Simmonds if we could get Josi. And part of that reason is that cheap forwards can still be found thru UFA's. But to do it during the season when we have no depth to come up and replace him. We are stuck.

If we can't get rid of the 2 anchors in Umberger and Vinny, then all moves should be made to be better in 2 years from now...when the kids on D are ready and playing.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
The next 2 years ARE going to be wasted since we are waiting for the kids on D. Expect it. It's going to happen. The only way it doesn't is if we moved Simmonds for a top pairing guy.

We are not moving Giroux or Jake. Couts is needed to be the shutdown guy and is so cheap. Schenn is the only LW we have with 1st line upside.

So really, our only available asset to move to get good and is Simmonds.

But again...if we have Umberger and Vinny dragging down the lines they play on for the next few years, then why bother moving Simmonds.

We have no current replacement for Simmonds internally.

In the summer, I was all for moving Simmonds if we could get Josi. And part of that reason is that cheap forwards can still be found thru UFA's. But to do it during the season when we have no depth to come up and replace him. We are stuck.

If we can't get rid of the 2 anchors in Umberger and Vinny, then all moves should be made to be better in 2 years from now...when the kids on D are ready and playing.

Simmonds is not a difference maker on this team. A top Defenseman would be. Now the question is whats out there who would trade a good 1# caliber guy for Simmonds?

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
actually had jump on wings early tonite ...when we are working hard we are creating decent chances but nobodys finishing right now.

in total agreement with putting umberger and vinny on 4th line then playing that line as little as ****ing possible.

also think schenn should be playing ahead of grossman/shultz.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
You still have RJ and Vinny. Where's Luke and Gross ? This team isn't a 18 yr old rookie away from getting better.

I hoenstly beleive if you have those 2 on any team eating close to 10 mill in cap space and playing 10 plus mins, does any team still make the playoffs ?

To be honest, I don't think adding an unexperienced NHL trio of Eichel, Morin, or Ghost is going to make a huge impact immediately. Especially without subtracting pieces such as Umberger and Lecavalier.

Sorry, guys, but that's absurd. Eichel/McDavid is likely a 60+ point player next season. Do you not think it would make a big difference to replace Lecavalier in the top nine with a player on the level of Jeff Carter right now? It most definitely would.

AFTeRMaTH*

Sorry, guys, but that's absurd. Eichel/McDavid is likely a 60+ point player next season. Do you not think it would make a big difference to replace Lecavalier with a player on the level of Jeff Carter right now? It most definitely would.

Lol wut

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Eichel-Simmonds
Laughton-Couturier-Read

Morin-Coburn
MacDonald-Streit
XXXXX-Gostisbehere

If by some miracle we ended up with McDavid or Eichel I'd actually be open to trading Couturier for help on defense so long the value is good. I feel like Laughton & Bellemare would offset the loss defensively while we would obviously upgrade offensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad