GDT: #21: Anaheim Ducks@Pittsburgh Penguins | 7:30 PM ET | CEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
No matter what DB does people will complain, hes doing exactly what many people wanted him to do with the top line and people are still complaining about it.
Maybe because he doesn't believe deep down in his heart, and is doing this only since even Pens Yes Spinning machine started calling him out. And who is complaining by the way, people are just predicting that unless Beau has a stellar first period say 3 goals and five assists , there is a feeling that he will revert back to "our game"

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
I am going super Optimist on this one......Bennett gets a goal, Sid gets 2 goals, and Geno gets one as well. Let the Crosby/Bennett era begin!

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I am going super Optimist on this one......Bennett gets a goal, Sid gets 2 goals, and Geno gets one as well. Let the Crosby/Bennett era begin!

Wow. You are quite the optimist.

I'll be glad if he doesn't directly lead to a goal against and gets out of the game relatively healthy. I think actually scoring a real, live honest-to-god goal (against a goaltender, even!) is totally out of the question.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Liked Sid's quotes on Bennett and Dupes:

“[Beau]’s just got a lot of skills,” Crosby said. “He’s pretty patient with the puck and a right-hand shot, so I think he’ll be patient and be able to hold onto the puck.”

Pretty striking contrast to what he's had on his right side. :laugh:

“He's going to generate a lot of things off the forecheck,” Crosby said of Dupuis. “He’s going to go to the net hard to create a lot of things from driving to the net, pushing guys back, good defensively. I think he’ll bring that.”

..."skills" and "puck patience" notably absent.

All phrased very diplomatically, as usual, haha.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Maybe because he doesn't believe deep down in his heart, and is doing this only since even Pens Yes Spinning machine started calling him out. And who is complaining by the way, people are just predicting that unless Beau has a stellar first period say 3 goals and five assists , there is a feeling that he will revert back to "our game"

I don't think anybody here knows what DB believes deep down in his heart, hes probably changing the lines because of the pens recent record and the lack of scoring, if these new lines work and pens start winning im sure he will be happy to keep these new lines together.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Wow. You are quite the optimist.

I'll be glad if he doesn't directly lead to a goal against and gets out of the game relatively healthy. I think actually scoring a real, live honest-to-god goal (against a goaltender, even!) is totally out of the question.

Step 1 for Geno:

Take more than 2 shots in the game.

This has only happened twice in the last 11 games...when he managed 3 shots apiece. And not for a lack of opportunities.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Very cool GDT, FS. Much appreciated.

Looking forward to seeing Bennett get a longer look with Sid.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I don't think anybody here knows what DB believes deep down in his heart, hes probably changing the lines because of the pens recent record and the lack of scoring, if these new lines work and pens start winning im sure he will be happy to keep these new lines together.

Or if they don't score immediately, he'll go back to his comfort zone.

So glad I missed Saturday's game as well as anything this week because of my time off. This team is not worth stressing over on a trip, so **** them.

Loved reading plus minus today though. Seems to me that game went pretty much like I thought it would.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm only staying up to watch this because of the new first line. If this was all a joke and it's still Dupuis up there, I'm gonna lose it.

I don't think it is a joke for two reasons:

1. Dan Bylsma is without a doubt the bestest, most proactive coach in hockey. Fastest to 200. Jack Adams. 25% think he's the smartest. Won Capitals cups the last few years. Won a Stanley Cup in '09. He can IMMEDIATELY sense if something isn't working and will make changes. So, why would you be surprised that he, once again, sees need for change and opportunity where know nothing fans like us are too busy chanting 'let's go Pens', 'get to our game', and 'best line in hockey' to notice.

2. At morning skate, Dupuis was screaming '**** you Geno' any time he was in shooting position.

Seriously, some of us remember the disaster of Dupuis with Geno in 2009-2010. Fact is, Dupuis' speed is going to help a lot. And, I do remember late last season, when Neal was out for a game, that the one game where Iginla looked good with Malkin was when Iginla was at RW and Dupuis filled in at LW.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Step 1 for Geno:

Take more than 2 shots in the game.

This has only happened twice in the last 11 games...when he managed 3 shots apiece. And not for a lack of opportunities.

I agree. He needs to shoot the puck and get pucks to the net. Neal's the sniper on the line but Geno has to do some shooting, too. It's the way to start getting out of a slump.

Finishing the game with an even or plus +/- rating would help, too. I don't know if he's going to play much (or at all) against the Penner-Getzlaf-Perry line, but if the Malkin line avoids that line tonight they should be positive. And, say what you want about Dupuis, but he should help Malkin and Neal defensively.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
HA!

I don't think shooting more is going to help his confidence much, RRP. It doesn't look like he could dent a tin can with it, right now. And that's incorrectly assuming he could actually hit it.

But yeah... it'll be real great to watch my favorite player on the team continue to wallow around in his own pool of suck, tonight.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Or if they don't score immediately, he'll go back to his comfort zone.

So glad I missed Saturday's game as well as anything this week because of my time off. This team is not worth stressing over on a trip, so **** them.

Loved reading plus minus today though. Seems to me that game went pretty much like I thought it would.

Saturday was really ******* bad. Every cliche about this team captured in 60 minutes of hockey.

And, in my heart of hearts, I know you're right about what's going to come of all of this. He mixed lines in the playoffs to what they should've been, and it took one 'bad' period, where bad meant both lines scored one goal between them but the Pens were either tied or down 2-1 to get him to change them back to the way he liked them, never to be changed again.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Saturday was really ******* bad. Every cliche about this team captured in 60 minutes of hockey.

And, in my heart of hearts, I know you're right about what's going to come of all of this. He mixed lines in the playoffs to what they should've been, and it took one 'bad' period, where bad meant both lines scored one goal between them but the Pens were either tied or down 2-1 to get him to change them back to the way he liked them, never to be changed again.

but KIRK, we haven't heard your thoughts on Malkin getting top-6 Winger Dupuis!

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I don't think it is a joke for two reasons:

1. Dan Bylsma is without a doubt the bestest, most proactive coach in hockey. Fastest to 200. Jack Adams. 25% think he's the smartest. Won Capitals cups the last few years. Won a Stanley Cup in '09. He can IMMEDIATELY sense if something isn't working and will make changes. So, why would you be surprised that he, once again, sees need for change and opportunity where know nothing fans like us are too busy chanting 'let's go Pens', 'get to our game', and 'best line in hockey' to notice.

2. At morning skate, Dupuis was screaming '**** you Geno' any time he was in shooting position.

Seriously, some of us remember the disaster of Dupuis with Geno in 2009-2010. Fact is, Dupuis' speed is going to help a lot. And, I do remember late last season, when Neal was out for a game, that the one game where Iginla looked good with Malkin was when Iginla was at RW and Dupuis filled in at LW.

I actually think and I said this before that this may work. It will definitively be improvement from jussi. Duper's speed and ability to cover a lot of ice in the offensive zone should allow for a little bit more offensive zone time, more shots, more goals. I am curious

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I agree. He needs to shoot the puck and get pucks to the net. Neal's the sniper on the line but Geno has to do some shooting, too. It's the way to start getting out of a slump.

Finishing the game with an even or plus +/- rating would help, too. I don't know if he's going to play much (or at all) against the Penner-Getzlaf-Perry line, but if the Malkin line avoids that line tonight they should be positive. And, say what you want about Dupuis, but he should help Malkin and Neal defensively.

You know, I don't want the Malkin line avoiding anyone. I remember a game during Therrien's last year at home against the Ducks. Sid is out. Team is struggling. Top line is Cooke-Malkin-Sykora for the game. Malkin comes out, is a total beast, levels Getzlaf in the first five minutes, assists on 2 Cooke goals, and then ends the game with a mini fight with Perry. I want THAT Malkin tonight, and I hope Dupuis triggers it. I know it's hoping for a lot. It's really inexplicable how his confidence has gone to hell. If it's equally inexplicable how he recaptures it, then I really don't care.

EDIT: While I don't care about the matchup tonight, Malkin better play a lot tonight. Get that one shift where he feels it, and then keep throwing him out there. Same thing for Sid with Kunitz and Bennett. **** rolling four lines. Get those two going.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Dupuis is, always has and always will be an awful match for Malkin. That won't change, tonight. But if it means breaking up that top line even for a few shifts... lesser of two evils.

Hell... it's not like anything is going to help (or hurt) Malkin, right now. So what's the harm?

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
HA!

I don't think shooting more is going to help his confidence much, RRP. It doesn't look like he could dent a tin can with it, right now. And that's incorrectly assuming he could actually hit it.

But yeah... it'll be real great to watch my favorite player on the team continue to wallow around in his own pool of suck, tonight.

for example just the number game:
if he was shooting 4 times per game as he used to do and he had below his average percentage say 10%, that would equate to 8 goals which we all would agree would be on a pace for 32 goals, so it would not be a totally wasted season

so yes: shoot!, shoot! shoot!

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
You know, I don't want the Malkin line avoiding anyone. I remember a game during Therrien's last year at home against the Ducks. Sid is out. Team is struggling. Top line is Cooke-Malkin-Sykora for the game. Malkin comes out, is a total beast, levels Getzlaf in the first five minutes, assists on 2 Cooke goals, and then ends the game with a mini fight with Perry. I want THAT Malkin tonight, and I hope Dupuis triggers it. I know it's hoping for a lot. It's really inexplicable how his confidence has gone to hell. If it's equally inexplicable how he recaptures it, then I really don't care.

EDIT: While I don't care about the matchup tonight, Malkin better play a lot tonight. Get that one shift where he feels it, and then keep throwing him out there. Same thing for Sid with Kunitz and Bennett. **** rolling four lines. Get those two going.

The good news here is whoever plays with Dupuis usually plays a lot, KIRK.

:D

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
but KIRK, we haven't heard your thoughts on Malkin getting top-6 Winger Dupuis!

If you hadn't been so distracted by the tears caused by Burgundy saying he wipes his *** with your predictions, then you would've noticed my thoughts on Dupuis with Malkin and Neal. He's a better fit than Jokinen. The one good game last year that Malkin played with Iginla, it was Iginla at RW and Dupuis at LW.

Eh, **** you. Stop toying with me. I'm just so happy right now, not even you can spoil it. First, Coach Jack Daniels finally switches the lines. Second, this is the first televised Pens game in AU, meaning I won't be on the five minute GCL tape delay. And, third, everyone here is dumping on you, so I can't say I'm not entertained. Well, THAT was quite liberating. :cheers:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
for example just the number game:
if he was shooting 4 times per game as he used to do and he had below his average percentage say 10%, that would equate to 8 goals which we all would agree would be on a pace for 32 goals, so it would not be a totally wasted season

so yes: shoot!, shoot! shoot!

That assumes he musters up more strength than Martin's lesbian sister's shot from a few years ago. His shot looks brutal this year.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The good news here is whoever plays with Dupuis usually plays a lot, KIRK.

:D

Oh, I see what you did there. Well, yes, at least the chances of Malkin and Neal getting more ES minutes goes up tonight. :shakehead

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Dupuis is, always has and always will be an awful match for Malkin. That won't change, tonight. But if it means breaking up that top line even for a few shifts... lesser of two evils.

Hell... it's not like anything is going to help (or hurt) Malkin, right now. So what's the harm?

I really don't think that Dupuis in that spot is a bad thing at all. He's essentially Kunitz without the offensive ability. His role tonight will be very simple. I actually think it will work quite well.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
HA!

:laugh:

Hey man, you gotta start somewhere. If that means lobbing them into Fasth at 50 mph, it's better than veering off impotently into the corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad