GDT: #21: Anaheim Ducks@Pittsburgh Penguins | 7:30 PM ET | CEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Engo or Borts?

Jags takes Engo and bets $12457 to win $1.

Really? :shakehead

I love Bortuzzo. He's the next guy to get Jeffrey'd...or is it Strait'd/Tangradi'd...whatever, you get the point.

I actually like Engelland as a fourth-line right-winger. But he's probably 11th or 12th on our D depth chart...or at least should be.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Here and there. Almost always on the RW before the team acquired Neal (or while he was out with injury). Even Disco was savvy enough to realize it was a skating dumpster fire and immediately tried something else. Though he was on there for a while in 09-10.

A spastic, million-miles-per-hour straight line player with terrible hands and room temperature offensive IQ isn't exactly the greatest match for Malkin. He might help defensively... but he'll make the line even worse (somehow) offensively.

But again -- the tradeoff is worth it, I think. And Malkin is gonna be awful, regardless... so whatever.

EDIT: Was it that whole season, KIRK? Wow.

All I want him to do on offense is forecheck like a mofo and dig pucks out of the corner onto Geno's stick. After that just go to the net in case of a big juicy rebound pops out.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Here and there. Almost always on the RW before the team acquired Neal (or while he was out with injury). Even Disco was savvy enough to realize it was a skating dumpster fire and immediately tried something else.

A spastic, million-miles-per-hour straight line player with terrible hands and room temperature offensive IQ isn't exactly the greatest match for Malkin. He might help defensively... but he'll make the line even worse (somehow) offensively.

But again -- the tradeoff is worth it, I think. And Malkin is gonna be awful, regardless... so whatever.

You know that I'm not a fan of the pairing. That said, a north-south spaz like Dupuis could help for a couple of reasons:

1. It pushes the tempo for Malkin. He's slowing it down too much right now. If Dupuis changes that, then all the better.

2. I wonder if Malkin doesn't feel comfortable taking chances offensively when he doesn't feel comfortable that his linemates are there to cover for him. He took chances with Kunitz. It's one thing that always made it work with Kulemin and made it work with Talbot and Malone.

Look, I know that I'm reaching. The thing I'm looking for isn't some slick, clever plays. I'm looking for him to attack. If Dupuis helps him attack, then good. If not, then it was worth trying, because Jokinen-Malkin-Neal has been-- and always was going to be-- something that doesn't work right for Malkin, which curiously should be the main criteria determining who a coach puts on his line.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I love Bortuzzo. He's the next guy to get Jeffrey'd...or is it Strait'd/Tangradi'd...whatever, you get the point.

I actually like Engelland as a fourth-line right-winger. But he's probably 11th or 12th on our D depth chart...or at least should be.

I don't have him that low, but he certainly isn't above Bort. And he is probably the best choice for our 4th line RW atm.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
So close yet so far away.

Kunitz - Crosby - Bennet
Jokinen - Malkin - Neal
Glass - Sutter - Dupuis
Conner - Vitale - Engelland

That would hold us over nicely until we make some trades for young power forwards. Ha who am I kidding.

You're joking, right?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
So close yet so far away.

Kunitz - Crosby - Bennet
Jokinen - Malkin - Neal
Glass - Sutter - Dupuis
Conner - Vitale - Engelland

That would hold us over nicely until we make some trades for young power forwards. Ha who am I kidding.

Jokinen-Malkin-Neal is a disaster.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Oh, I know your feelings on this subject.

Fully healthy roster, my preference is Scuds-Letang, Despres-Martin, Maatta-Borts. ;)

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
All I want him to do on offense is forecheck like a mofo and dig pucks out of the corner onto Geno's stick. After that just go to the net in case of a big juicy rebound pops out.

Watch the line score a combined 4 goals tonight and Bylsma breaks it up two games later because KCB has a bad period.

Where have I seen that play before? ;)

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

The big question mark there is how he's actually going to get the puck to Malkin's stick. I mean... we've watched his work with Sid, so far. I guess if he could sort of just pick it up and hand it to him, that'd be good... but I think there are rules about that.

And yes, KIRK... you are reaching. But I can understand why you're pleased and will refrain from pissing on your brain-fire.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The big question mark there is how he's actually going to get the puck to Malkin's stick. I mean... we've watched his work with Sid, so far. I guess if he could sort of just pick it up and hand it to him, that'd be good... but I think there are rules about that.

And yes, KIRK... you are reaching. But I can understand why you're pleased and will refrain from pissing on your brain-fire.

Max Talbot was able to do it. Just saying.

JoeKnows

Aug 22, 2013

You're joking, right?

I think that's the best balance you can get of size and scoring ability on both lines, heck all the lines.

And to yours and Kirk's criticisms, I'm just trying to with with what we got. If it were up to me half those players might not be in pens uniforms.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think that's the best balance you can get of size and scoring ability on both lines, heck all the lines.

And to yours and Kirk's criticisms, I'm just trying to with with what we got. If it were up to me half those players might not be in pens uniforms.

yet you put Chris Conner in the line-up?

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

You have Tanner Glass on the third line. That does nothing except ensure the third line gets trapped in it's own zone. I don't give a **** about size.

And you also have Conner actually playing in the NHL (who brings no size at all).

JoeKnows

Aug 22, 2013
that dude's line-up has Connor on it and you guys are responding to him. I'm just pointing that out.

Byslma's lineup has Conner's higher on the depth chart than mine. And we're all still paying attention to him.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Max Talbot was able to do it. Just saying.

HA! Touche.

This is wishy-washy but Talbot was just... different. He never put up the numbers and was generally pretty bad with the puck (junior totals aside... which were... eye-popping, actually) but he seemed to have really good on-ice awareness and just enough ability to make the simple play to his more-skilled linemates.

Dupuis seems like the same thing, in theory and he does gets his points... but he's just... a boner. I don't really know how to describe it.

JoeKnows

Aug 22, 2013
You have Tanner Glass on the third line. That does nothing except ensure the third line gets trapped in it's own zone. I don't give a **** about size.

And you also have Conner actually playing in the NHL (who brings no size at all).

Maybe Glass would drag down the third line idk but he'd be insulated by pretty good third liners. And Conner brings no size but Engelland does and Vitale brings physicality as well.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
HA! Touche.

This is wishy-washy but Talbot was just... different. He never put up the numbers and was generally pretty bad with the puck (junior totals aside... which were... eye-popping, actually) but he seemed to have really good on-ice awareness and just enough ability to make the simple play to his more-skilled linemates.

Dupuis seems like the same thing, in theory and he does gets his points... but he's just... a boner. I don't really know how to describe it.

Talbot has the hockey sense of a player much, much more skilled than himself. I think that's the difference between the two.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
If that line doesn't score in the first couple shifts I suspect it will go back to the same.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
HA! Touche.

I definitely understand what you mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad