21-22 rookie class and Calder candidates

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
That's quite a lot for a rookie playing for one the more low scoring teams in the league. It's possible but maybe not too likely. I'd say 20-25 goals and 15-20 assists would sound solid and realistic.
he was improving the more he played in the playoffs, that experience alone is gonna give him a head start, especially playing on the top line and PP. Suzuki is only getting better too.

Id guess 24G 28A.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
he was improving the more he played in the playoffs, that experience alone is gonna give him a head start, especially playing on the top line and PP. Suzuki is only getting better too.

Id guess 24G 28A.
Him and Suzuki go together hand in hand. Basically will have identical stat lines at seasons end I think

60-70 points for both

to take a stab
Caufield 35g-25a
Suzuki 25g-45a

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
That's quite a lot for a rookie playing for one the more low scoring teams in the league. It's possible but maybe not too likely. I'd say 20-25 goals and 15-20 assists would sound solid and realistic.
I’d agree with that. In general expectations for rookies are set too high. A 45 point season would be very solid.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
My top ten candidates:

Zegras
Caufield
Boldy
Seider
Drysdale

Byram
Knight
Lundell
Tomasino
Pinto

Maybe in the realm of possibility:

Newhook
Jarvis
McMichael
Swayman
Gustavsson

Podkolzin
Rossi
Krebs
Chinakhov
Holloway

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
From the Sharks, only two that have any real chance of making the team (in impactful positions) are Eklund and Dahlen. Merkley is a very dark horse candidate but doubt he gets the opportunities needed to fully take off and be a Calder favorite even if he does make the team.

Employee427

Jan 6, 2019
For Caps it looks like they plan to keep McMichael in AHL for another year so not very likely he even makes Caps unless he has very good training camp.

Player not mentioned that could be an outside chance candidate if all things go his way is Martin Fehervary. NHL ready and based on stats looks like he worked on his offensive game last season. He is going to start with lower ice time so in order to be in Calder consideration something like one of Caps offensive D (Orlov/Carlson/Schultz) getting injured and Fehervary getting that role while and being successful at it would have to happen.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
NJ had a dark horse candidate last season in Sharangovich. They also had Ty Smith emerge a year earlier than most NJ fans expected. After getting more rookie scoring contributions than any other team last year (I’m sure there is a correlation between that and being terrible) they don’t have any obvious rookies that will make a splash this season. Theoretically they have some bottom six openings.

My dark horse for NJ this season would be Dawson Mercer who I could see playing a complementary role on a line with Jack Hughes and Yegor Sharangovich. If that happens I could see him accumulate some points. Other than that maybe Kevin Bahl develops enough to play the safe partner for Hamilton although I’d be surprised if he generates many points even if he plays in that spot. More than likely neither of those two make a big impact this season (which is for the best as NJ is finally developing some roster stability) but they’d be the likely ones to do so if anybody on that team breaks through as a rookie.

In my view the worst teams have the best chance of producing the top rookies since they often need offense which is usually the standard for the award as I see it and they will often let a young player with flaws play his game compared to a more structured veteran team that forces defense first on a young player looking to earn a role.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Power, IF he decides to turn pro would have to morph into a generational player to be Calder worthy on the Sabres. I just don't see it happening.
Well, he'd get tons of ice and if he didn't suck on a bad Sabre team I think the voters would give him consideration. Definitely not the favorite but a candidate in the 12-18 range if you had to set an order.

I think a darkhouse might be Samuel Poulin. There's room to the top 6/9 in Pittsburgh and he'll be given every opportunity.

My Best-Carey

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I'm thinking the top 5 finalists are Seider, Caulfield, Zegras, Knight and Boldy. Drysdale outside looking in on this group. Jonatan Berggren as a dark horse candidate.

Reactions: JediOrderPizza

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
If the Avs don't add another forward, Alex Newhook is likely starting on the second line with Kadri and Burakovsky. Chance for good minutes and putting up some points.

In terms of my pick, it would be Trevor Zegras.

I expect a huge season out of Zegras; prime opportunity to post big time numbers.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
In Philly it's Cam York, Morgan Frost and Yegor Zamula. Of course even if they make it to the NHL full-time, it'd be hard for them to get significant minutes in a stacked with veterans team, but there's still a chance.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Podkolzin is physically mature, played in the KHL

If he can click with either Pettersson, Horvat, or Miller as the C in training camp, watch out.

Travis Green has a looser leash for rookies, opposing shut down pairs would focus on established players.

Podkolzin is my dark horse, gets early confidence and just starts steam rolling.

RoyalRed

Apr 8, 2013
The 2019 draft class will be announcing their arrival this year. Some, like Zegras and Newhook, made appearances last year but will still technically be rookies this year. Should be fun to watch!

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Seider is 100% on the Wings unless there is an injury. Think his offensive stats won't be high enough to garner the attention for a dman to win. Maybe his physicality will get him the notice needed.

I think Berggren and Raymond will be in GR most of the year. Veleno could be a dark horse as I think he has the best chance from Wings forward perspective on making the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad