21-22 rookie class and Calder candidates

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Zegras plays on a team with no offense and the worst PP of all time.

If he wins the Calder it is because he is an absolute monster and carries the Ducks.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

RoyalRed

Apr 8, 2013

If he wins the Calder it is because he is an absolute monster and carries the Ducks.
Yeah I don't think Zegras will win it but that has absolutely nothing to do with him.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Many good rookies will enter on bad teams. That can be a struggle but it can also lead to opportunity. Zegras+Drysdale should help that powerplay.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'd put Mattias Norlinder under 'might make the team'

He's going to be given every opportunity as probably one of the only natural puck-movers possible to be on the Canadiens blue-line. If he makes it and gets PP1 on a unit with Caufield, Suzuki and Hoffman - he could put up some points.

No way he could win the Calder, but if we are mentioning some of the other guys, might as well make a comprehensive list.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I'd say the favourites are Caufield, Boldy, and Knight just because they're on much better teams than some of the other guys.

From a SJ point of view, Jonathan Dahlen could grab traction if his offense translates.

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
I'm cheering for Caufield to win it!
Hope he has a great and exciting year along side Suzuki!

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I’m very excited to see if Moritz plays in the NHL this year, I remember he was a huge off-the-board selection in his draft. Looks like he’s been developing quite well.

I am as well, I'm not sure if going ~5 spots higher is way off the board but I wanted him to drop to 15 so badly that year. Course Caufield dropped instead I would have been happy with either and am happy with Caufield.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Id be shocked if Moritz Seider won it, but mainly cause he plays Detroit :laugh: but he has a great chance.

I expect him to be a finalist at minimum.

Reactions: WF19

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Woah that's a stacked rookie class.

I'll vote as my 3 finalists (no order:

Zegras, Caufield, Newhook

I could name about 10 others who I wouldn't be remotely surprised if they won.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Dylan Holloway has a good shot. And don't be surprised if he ends up beside McDavid eventually.
I would be very surprised if he is in the NHL this year and beside McDavid.

I like Holloway but he won't be a Calder finalist, doesn't have that level of ability.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I don’t think he’s eligible. If he was he’d definitely be a dark horse to rack up some points as a rookie defenseman

Ah, yes, just checked it out and you're right. His 14 games last season rules him out.

He would not be eligible...

• played 7 games in 2018/19
  • played 0 games in 2019/20
  • played 14 games in 2020/21
________________________________________________________________________________

I think Caulfield will win the Calder next year, with Knight and probably Zegras as the other nominees.

Reactions: ujju2

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Rathbone should have been mentioned (imo) in the op. He will almost certainly outscore Byram, and could easily lead all rookie D in scoring. Maybe because of his draft position, he is being overlooked here. A super talented player.

Podkolzin could be in the running, depending on how the lines are arranged. Benning said he wanted 3 scoring lines, so we could see Podz playing with a high end forward, in order to facilitate that. With the way he was deployed in the KHL and thrown around 2 other leagues the past 2 years, he really wasn't given a good opportunity to show what he can do, but in the 2021 KHL play-offs, he led SKA in scoring.

Pretty good run of rookie talent in Van - Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, Hoglander, and now Rathbone and Podkolzin.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
He would not be eligible...

• played 7 games in 2018/19
  • played 0 games in 2019/20
  • played 14 games in 2020/21
________________________________________________________________________________

I think Caulfield will win the Calder next year, with Knight and probably Zegras as the other nominees.

Yes, I said that in my post as did @The Moose is Loose. All good though :cheers:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Caufield will win it with a 35 goal season. Season 2, 45 goals. Season 3-10, 50 goals.

He's going to be such a stud.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Robertson is good. I don't think he makes the team though in the top 6. I think Zegras runs away with the Calder and Seider finishes second.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Robertson is good. I don't think he makes the team though in the top 6. I think Zegras runs away with the Calder and Seider finishes second.
I struggle to see Zegras running away with it with that supporting cast and coach. I'm not counting it out but I have my doubts.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
Barely mentioned here, but Jonathan Dahlén is a major dark horse IMO. If he earns a top 6 spot on the Sharks he will definitely rack up points. A bit older and more mature than most rookies, maybe he can pull an Alfredsson?

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Barely mentioned here, but Jonathan Dahlén is a major dark horse IMO. If he earns a top 6 spot on the Sharks he will definitely rack up points. A bit older and more mature than most rookies, maybe he can pull an Alfredsson?
At this rate he's going to be given Kane's ice time in the top-6. I mentioned him earlier in the thread and agree with you completely though, the talent is there.

Reactions: Seiza

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad