21-22 rookie class and Calder candidates

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I struggle to see Zegras running away with it with that supporting cast and coach. I'm not counting it out but I have my doubts.

Running away with the points lead? Sure. But I think people will understand that he's playing on a much weaker offense. If he's leading the Ducks in scoring he'll get a big boost in the Calder Race.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
My younger brother has picked the last two Calder Winners, and he says Podkolzin. So maybe him?
I expect Podkolzin to really impress with his all around game on the Canucks third line. I don't think he will put up the points to really get into the Calder conversation.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I get it. I also expect the voters to understand that the Ducks outside of guys like him and Comtois are offensively anemic.
Depends on Z's output. If he can put up, say, 50 and the next best guy scores 60, I think there's a chance.

Running away with the points lead? Sure. But I think people will understand that he's playing on a much weaker offense. If he's leading the Ducks in scoring he'll get a big boost in the Calder Race.
Leading the team would certainly help, yes. Pretty likely to happen too, barring injury.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
I suspect this will be Caufield's to lose, but I could see Calen Addison breaking through in an impressive way in Minnesota.

I also doubt he's the Calder winner, but I like Nolan Foote to turn some heads by the end of the year.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The league tends to turn Calder voting into the Art Ross Trophy for rookies, so I'd expect a forward to win again, likely Caufield or Zegras.

But it will be fantastic watching Seider continue to grow into an all-around possession monster.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I wish a 2 way player had just as good chance to win as a pure offensive player.

Withh that said, I think Zegras is no 1, Moritz Seider no 2, Newhook no 3.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I was pretty confident Makar and Kaprizov were the two best young players not in the NHL the summer before they respectively came in. Don't really at all have the same feeling about the 2021-22 crop. Zegras I like a lot but the Ducks offense is pretty poor.

If Newhook gets top 6 and PP time in Colorado he'd be tough to bet against. Curious to see how Seider's season unfolds, he's physically at the top of the list.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
if allison scores 25 this coming season for philly, would that be enough to consider him for the calder? my knowledge of this yeaRS rookies is lacking.

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
Is Bouchard still considered a rookie?
No he’s not. One of the eligibility requirements are not playing more than 6 games in each of any two preceding seasons in a major professional league. His first season with Edmonton he played 7 games, and last season 14 games. Disqualifying him.

Going to be a perfect fit in Edmonton though - he’s looked very impressive and may as well take the top RHD spot alongside Nurse on L1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad