Prospect Info: 2024 World Juniors

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
How far away was Andrew Gibson from making Canada? Does he have a chance next year?
Definitely will be in the mix. He was Canada’s best Defenseman at the U18’s this summer and is progressing well this year.

A cakewalk to what, being beat by Canada yet again

Let’s hope so! Anything can happen in short tourny formats. But the US have the best team this year and a lot of built in chemistry compared to the countries.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
No clue how their goalies rank in pecking order. Hopefully Augustine gets an opportunity to back this powerhouse squad.
Augustine played 6 games for them last year, is a year older now, having a great season on a great NCAA team and was drafted high. The odds of him not being the guy are slim to none
How far away was Andrew Gibson from making Canada? Does he have a chance next year?
He was far away this year, but hes a team Canada guy. They like taking guys who have come up in the program of excellence and he was really good at the u18 tourney. Hes having a really good year as well by all accounts, was a pretty high pick. I definitely wouldnt pencil him in as a lock or anything but would be shocked if hes not right in the mix,and more likely on the make the team side

Also anyone who wants to watch Danielson, they played the Usports all stars at 3 this afternoon

Reactions: Cake Eater

Christien

May 1, 2010
Danielson is playing in a scrimmage right now against the Canadian Usports team. They have him in the fourth line and he isn’t on any of the powerplay units so far.

Also, fun fact: Red Wings 7th round draft pick in 2017, Brady Gilmour, is on the Usports team lol

Last edited:

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
On paper this should be a cakewalk for that USA team.

No clue how their goalies rank in pecking order. Hopefully Augustine gets an opportunity to back this powerhouse squad.
Well the games aren't played on paper. Goaltending is solid, the forward lines are pretty stacked, but I don't trust the defense in their own zone. I know they can contribute to the scoring with guys like Laine Hutson and Seamus Casey but I don't trust them to be able to clamp down on a tight lead.

I like the team but I'm not willing to hand them a bronze, let alone gold.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Augustine played 6 games for them last year, is a year older now, having a great season on a great NCAA team and was drafted high. The odds of him not being the guy are slim to none.
Jacob Fowler is statistically better than Augustine in pretty much every category in the NCAA. He also outshined him when MSU played BC this year. That could very well go out the window once camp starts, of course. I wouldn't be shocked if either of them were the primary netminder

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Jacob Fowler is statistically better than Augustine in pretty much every category in the NCAA. He also outshined him when MSU played BC this year. That could very well go out the window once camp starts, of course. I wouldn't be shocked if either of them were the primary netminder

It could happen but people forget that countries rely on "their" guys in tournaments like this. Is a slight difference in save percentage in the NCAA going to be enough to change that Augustine was the guy with the USNDP for a couple seasons, was the starter for this age group at the u18s, and then was also the starter at the U20 as well?

At the u18s Augustine went 6-0 with a .934 and started as their goalie at the u20 as a draft eligible. I would be shocked if he lost the net to a guy with one season in the USHL and 17 games in the NCAA, while Augustine is having a great season of his own.

It could happen, but it would be shocking

Reactions: Realgud

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
Fowler plays on a vastly better team so you’d expect his stats be better.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Fowler plays on a vastly better team so you’d expect his stats be better.
There's not a single team in the NCAA that is vastly better than MSU right now. Sparty is 7th in the pairwise, BC is 4th...those rankings could flip on any given weekend. BC does have higher end talent, no doubt. All told, team performance has been similar. I give BC the edge but the gap is not wide.

Man, it's not that absurd of a notion the guy who has looked better statistically, in the eye test and head to head could take the reigns and run with them.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
There's not a single team in the NCAA that is vastly better than MSU right now. Sparty is 7th in the pairwise, BC is 4th...those rankings could flip on any given weekend. BC does have higher end talent, no doubt. All told, team performance has been similar. I give BC the edge but the gap is not wide.
Fowler won that second game against MSU all by himself pretty much. Augustine has been a lot better since some early season struggles, but there were a few games early on where he wasn't great, and that's probably to be expected with a Freshman playing his first true college road games.

Like you said though, can't really go wrong with either choice probably. Get them in camp and see how they look.

Reactions: RabidBadger

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Is twitter embedding broke?

Anyways ... Danielson temporarily moved to 1st line today per twitter

Link
That's great to see. I would really like to see Danielson and ASP be impactful in this tournament.

Would be awesome if Augustine could get a good amount of games in net too.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
That's great to see. I would really like to see Danielson and ASP be impactful in this tournament.

Would be awesome if Augustine could get a good amount of games in net too.
Doesnt sound like anyone played all that great for Canada today. I'm not as confident as I was about Danielson early in the process but we'll find out tonight. Team should leak around 6 o clock tonight. I think getting some time on the top line with Celebrini is a good sign that he might be a guy they want to have to bump up the line up potentially.

Also read his line was probably the best one yesterday and he was playing on aline that looked like it could be their line in the actual tourney

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Wish I could watch more of the tournament this year. Always some very fun hockey

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Is twitter embedding broke?

Anyways ... Danielson temporarily moved to 1st line today per twitter

Link
all you have to do is change the part of the address from x.com to twitter.com then it works

where is this years WJC being played at? Never watched these, thought I might catch one or two maybe.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
all you have to do is change the part of the address from x.com to twitter.com then it works

where is this years WJC being played at? Never watched these, thought I might catch one or two maybe.
Gothenburg Sweden.

Group A (Scandinavium)
  • 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.png
    Canada (1)
  • 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
    Sweden (4)
  • 23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png
    Finland (5)
  • 23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
    Germany (8)
  • 23px-Flag_of_Latvia.svg.png
    Latvia (9)
Group B (Frölundaborg)

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Is Augustine gonna be the starter for USA?
A lot of times in this tourny teams with any type of depth in net usually rotate 2 goalies during the divisional round.

Then decide who to roll with for the elimination round based on hot hand. Assume the US would do something similiar.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
A lot of times in this tourny teams with any type of depth in net usually rotate 2 goalies during the divisional round.

Then decide who to roll with for the elimination round based on hot hand. Assume the US would do something similiar.

Agreed. But I think Fowler will be the starter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad