Prospect Info: 2024 World Juniors

Murmansk16A

Apr 29, 2022
Disappointing tournament for Anton Johansson. Not in terms of performance, but of usage:

20:03 v Latvia
17:06 v Germany
1:24 v Canada
4:52 v Finland
DNP v Switzerland (QF)
DNP v Czechia (SF)

I mean, I get it, keep your top Dmen rested against the Latvias and Germanys, lean into the #7 guy. It was probably the plan all along. But I thought he played well enough early on to continue having a role.
Didn't the Swedes get a defenseman back from injury during the tournament, and that's when Johansson's ice time went down?

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
He's a victim of his role. Havelid and Lindstein are given more offensive opportunities on that team for whatever reason.
Pretty sure ASP has been on the first PP this entire tournament. He shines there. I'm talking defensively where he is puck watching, gets lost, or turns the puck over and lets the play develop around him. This is just one tournament so I really don't care but he has not been good. He's good offensively.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Pretty sure ASP has been on the first PP this entire tournament. He shines there. I'm talking defensively where he is puck watching, gets lost, or turns the puck over and lets the play develop around him. This is just one tournament so I really don't care but he has not been good. He's good offensively.

Watch his lack of puck carrying from the backend. It's counter to how he plays in Skelleftea. I haven't seen Sweden's defensemen carrying the puck from their red line up through the neutral zone much. I noted that problem back in 2021 (Raymond and Johansson's year) and 2022 (Edvinsson and Wallinder's year) as well. It's like their coaches want players to play their system more than developing a system around the players' strengths.

Reactions: Unfriendly Ghost
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Outside of goalscoring and some breakout passes, ASP is not good at all this tournament.
You don't bring him for everything else, you bring him because he's an elite scorer and breakout passer. Yzerman is gambling that he can bring the other areas of his game up to acceptable.

Personally, I think he's been fine defensively. Not great, maybe not even good, but fine. I think he'd be perfect on a pairing with Edvinsson, who can handle the battles and break up most plays.

Realgud

Nov 4, 2013
Watch his lack of puck carrying from the backend. It's counter to how he plays in Skelleftea. I haven't seen Sweden's defensemen carrying the puck from their red line up through the neutral zone much. I noted that problem back in 2021 (Raymond and Johansson's year) and 2022 (Edvinsson and Wallinder's year) as well. It's like their coaches want players to play their system more than developing a system around the players' strengths.
That's totally fair. I have watched a single game of ASP in the SHL this year and I thought he was good, so like I said, this is just a tournament, I don't really care how he does in a single tourney like this. I still think he has tons of work to do defensively.

You don't bring him for everything else, you bring him because he's an elite scorer and breakout passer. Yzerman is gambling that he can bring the other areas of his game up to acceptable.

Personally, I think he's been fine defensively. Not great, maybe not even good, but fine. I think he'd be great on a pairing with Edvinsson, who can handle the battles and break up most plays.
Oh yeah for sure, I'm not saying otherwise, or concluding that he's a bust or anything lol, just highlighting him specifically since he's been hyped up like crazy this tournament but I personally don't think he has been very good. I think his defense has been a mess but he has been clutch af on offense and yeah I've always talked Ed's defensive game up and I think there's potential for them to look amazing on a pair together.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
That's totally fair. I have watched a single game of ASP in the SHL this year and I thought he was good, so like I said, this is just a tournament, I don't really care how he does in a single tourney like this. I still think he has tons of work to do defensively.

Oh yeah for sure, I'm not saying otherwise, or concluding that he's a bust or anything lol, just highlighting him specifically since he's been hyped up like crazy this tournament but I personally don't think he has been very good. I think his defense has been a mess but he has been clutch af on offense and yeah I've always talked Ed's defensive game up and I think there's potential for them to look amazing on a pair together.
Yeah, ASP definitely needs another year in the SHL, imo. It would let him mature physically, because he still looks like a bb, and give him more time to work on the defensive side of his game, which he definitely needs.

If they bring him over to Grand Rapids next year, there's just going to be a ASP-shaped smear on the corner boards.

Reactions: Realgud

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

His defensive work and compete level was what I liked least about his game in his draft year but it's been much improved in Skelleftea. There's just something about the Swedish national teams where players are coached to become more passive than they would normally play, and you can see how it hurts the team.

Realgud

Nov 4, 2013
His defensive work and compete level was what I liked least about his game in his draft year but it's been much improved in Skelleftea. There's just something about the Swedish national teams where players are coached to become more passive than they would normally play, and you can see how it hurts the team.
Absolutely. I felt the same watching Raymond.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad