GDT: 2024 WJC Games: GOLD - USA | SILVER - SWE | BRONZE - CZE | 4TH - FIN

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

-- The goaltending battle between incumbent starter Trey Augustine and USHL goalie of the year and Clark Cup Playoffs MVP Jacob Fowler will be among the center-stage battles during this camp. Augustine has the track record after taking over the No. 1 job at the last WJC and now a U18 Men's World Championship gold medal. Fowler, who is a 2004-born, will only have one chance at the WJC as he'll age out in 2025. I would not expect Fowler to simply let Augustine take the reins in net again without a challenge, especially not given his championship pedigree.

-- This might be one of the most wide-open competitions for spots on a U.S. blue line in some time. Returnees Lane Hutson, Ryan Chesley and Seamus Casey (who did not dress in the last tounrmanet) are virtual locks for the roster, but beyond that is anyone's guess. The U.S. has a good mix of right- and left-shot options, but they don't have a ton of size. Players like Sam Rinzel, Drew Fortescue, Garrett Brown, and Jackson Dorrington are the biggest blueliners in camp and would add size, but the World Junior Summer Showcase will push each to prove they can play at the World Junior pace required to have success in the tournament.

Preliminary TV Schedule (All TSN):

1000004095.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

-- The goaltending battle between incumbent starter Trey Augustine and USHL goalie of the year and Clark Cup Playoffs MVP Jacob Fowler will be among the center-stage battles during this camp. Augustine has the track record after taking over the No. 1 job at the last WJC and now a U18 Men's World Championship gold medal. Fowler, who is a 2004-born, will only have one chance at the WJC as he'll age out in 2025. I would not expect Fowler to simply let Augustine take the reins in net again without a challenge, especially not given his championship pedigree.

-- This might be one of the most wide-open competitions for spots on a U.S. blue line in some time. Returnees Lane Hutson, Ryan Chesley and Seamus Casey (who did not dress in the last tounrmanet) are virtual locks for the roster, but beyond that is anyone's guess. The U.S. has a good mix of right- and left-shot options, but they don't have a ton of size. Players like Sam Rinzel, Drew Fortescue, Garrett Brown, and Jackson Dorrington are the biggest blueliners in camp and would add size, but the World Junior Summer Showcase will push each to prove they can play at the World Junior pace required to have success in the tournament.
Call me crazy...but the way those lineups were build is a test for Fowler.....There's probably only Smith, Perreault, Brindley and Moore with a legitimate chance to make that team on the Blue while Whites would have sent that entire forward lineup to the Worlds and people wouldn't blink...

US has probably the strongest forward lineup I have ever seem. But that D is really average.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Hope Fowler and Hutson can make a strong case for themselves, I want to see them be key players at the WJC.

Edit: They have Fowler at 6ft2, 201 , which is probably wrong, unless he's already lost 20 pounds since the draft .

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think Fowler will take the net because I don't think Augustine is that good.

But Augustine will likely have to mess up first since he already has WJC experience.

Reactions: Sagikev and Rapala

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Call me crazy...but the way those lineups were build is a test for Fowler.....There's probably only Smith, Perreault, Brindley and Moore with a legitimate chance to make that team on the Blue while Whites would have sent that entire forward lineup to the Worlds and people wouldn't blink...

US has probably the strongest forward lineup I have ever seem. But that D is really average.
Hagens, Musty and Perreault on Blue should have a chance too.

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
This year's WJC is going to seem somewhat sparse when it comes to Habs prospects... Hutson, Beck, Fowler?, Eriksson?
Hutson being the number one guy on the US blueline is going to be fun to watch.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This year's WJC is going to seem somewhat sparse when it comes to Habs prospects... Hutson, Beck, Fowler?, Eriksson?
Hutson being the number one guy on the US blueline is going to be fun to watch.

Mesar will be loaned.
Not sure if Austria got relegated or not.
Fowler and Hutson on US.
Beck on Canada.

Engstrom too old to go back. Slafkovsky will not be loaned.

So that all makes sense.

Reactions: Nevins

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Not to mention how many times have we seen a goaltender win the job at the outset only to end up losing it during the tournament to the backup who goes on to take number 1 during the win or go home games.

The US are so friggin' deep they are starting to rival Canada for depth and are now turning out more high grade players IMO.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Hagens, Musty and Perreault on Blue should have a chance too.
Yeah, Hagens is very talented, more than most on the forward list but he’s maybe a little too young.

They might prefer taking some ‘’role’’ players to fit with the Smith, Perreault, Nazar, Leonard, Gauthier, Eiserman. But i think he has a chance.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I could see Hutson having the best wjc performance by a defenseman in history.

The reasons I believe that are the following:
- He's that good. 48 pts in 39 NCAA games as a rookie. Not much more need to be said here.

- He will play a TON. He and Chesley are the only returning dmen. There will only be 3 good defensemen on the squad (Hutson, Chesley, Casey), and Hutson is the only LD of those 3. I expect he will be averaging 25+ min a night. The rest of the d-corps is looking weak.

-The US forward group is absolutely insane.
Gauthier - Cooley - Snuggerud
Leonard - Smith - Perrault
Brindley - Nazar - McGroarty
Howard - Moore - Eiserman

Their top 2 lines could each be the best line in the tournament. Their 3rd line could be a top line on a lot of teams. Their 4th line has Eiserman who could go 1st overall next draft.

That's 11 1st round picks + Brindley who was 2 picks shy of being a 1st round pick.

Hutson playing 25min a night with that group + top pp min is going to result in a lot of points.

- US is in a weak group. It includes Czechia, the US, Slovakia, Switzerland, and Norway. There's potential for blowout games.

- The most productive wjc performance by a dmen was Peter Andersson in 1985, where he scored 14 pts in 7 games. The 2nd best was Pietrangelo in 2010 with 12 pts in 6 games. Both seem very beatable.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I could see Hutson having the best wjc performance by a defenseman in history.

The reasons I believe that are the following:
- He's that good. 48 pts in 39 NCAA games as a rookie. Not much more need to be said here.

- He will play a TON. He and Chesley are the only returning dmen. There will only be 3 good defensemen on the squad (Hutson, Chesley, Casey), and Hutson is the only LD of those 3. I expect he will be averaging 25+ min a night. The rest of the d-corps is looking weak.

-The US forward group is absolutely insane.
Gauthier - Cooley - Snuggerud
Leonard - Smith - Perrault
Brindley - Nazar - McGroarty
Howard - Moore - Eiserman

Their top 2 lines could each be the best line in the tournament. Their 3rd line could be a top line on a lot of teams. Their 4th line has Eiserman who could go 1st overall next draft.

That's 11 1st round picks + Brindley who was 2 picks shy of being a 1st round pick.

Hutson playing 25min a night with that group + top pp min is going to result in a lot of points.

- US is in a weak group. It includes Czechia, the US, Slovakia, Switzerland, and Norway. There's potential for blowout games.

- The most productive wjc performance by a dmen was Peter Andersson in 1985, where he scored 14 pts in 7 games. The 2nd best was Pietrangelo in 2010 with 12 pts in 6 games. Both seem very beatable.

That is a stacked forward group but the defence looks to be exceptionally weak, I suspect there is going to be some high scores when this team plays.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
who are we getting for Canada ?
Celebrini
Savoie
Beck
Gaucher
Schaefer
Dumais
Davidson
Danielson
Benson
Yager
Wood
Barlow
Gauthier

D:
Korchinski
Luneau
Mateychuk
Pickering
Morin
Price

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Hutson wins best defensman
Fowler wins MVG
Beck has a coming out party and wins MVP for being a 2-way monster while leading Canada to gold
Mesar is tournament leading point getter (1 more than Hutson)

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Holystik and bopeep

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille