GDT: 2024 TDL thread. Post all trades, rumors, and etc around the league. (TDL, Friday 3/8 @ 3pm ET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Panarin is the age Messier was when he won the cup here and the entire team core minus Fox is in their 30s.

So yeah, we only have a couple more seasons of this before you have to re-imagine the roster.
The window is this year and next. Don't trade the A and B level prospects. They're going to be needed.

Laviolette has a 3 year contract but it's really two. He has this year and next to win a Cup. I imagine that heavy furniture starts to get moved summer of 2025.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Panarin is the age Messier was when he won the cup here and the entire team core minus Fox is in their 30s.

So yeah, we only have a couple more seasons of this before you have to re-imagine the roster.
Or maybe we can follow what the Stars have been doing by developing well thru their AHL and our Berards/Sykoras/Edstroms/Othmanns can be similar to their Stankovens/Bourques/Johnstons.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
The window is this year and next. Don't trade the A and B level prospects. They're going to be needed.

Laviolette has a 3 year contract but it's really two. He has this year and next to win a Cup. I imagine that heavy furniture starts to get moved summer of 2025.
The window is not this year.
We can make a good run this year but that’s because the east is wide open.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I could see some changes this off-season depending on how far they go

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Or maybe we can follow what the Stars have been doing by developing well thru their AHL and our Berards/Sykoras/Edstroms/Othmanns can be similar to their Stankovens/Bourques/Johnstons.

I think we can do that but we don't have anything coming through that is on the level of what Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider are. At least, I'm skeptical. I like Perrault but I still see his upside as Mats Zuccarello. Which is great, but it isn't Panarin.

If you assume all those players start to decline in their 30's, which I think is a fair assumption to make, they'll either have to accept diminished roles on the roster, or else we become a worse team.

Mas and us used to chat about having two core groups, the younger and the older. But it's evident to me now that Fox, Igor, Lafreniere isn't a full foundation to build a team around. We need a lot more.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I could see some changes this off-season depending on how far they go
Outside chance that Lindgren and Trouba move this summer. That's it.

Zibanejad, Panarin, Kreider, and Shesterkin all become possibilities next summer. Trochek too depending.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
One of my fave memories of Guentzel was 2 years ago in the playoffs in the Garden, first round against Pitts, there was a commotion on the ice/stoppage in play and I could hear someone screaming like a stuck pig in the background audio.

Then on a certain camera angle you could see it was Guentzel screaming like a child that had a toy taken away (trying to sell a call), and "recovered" just as quick once he noticed there was something else happening on the ice taking all the officials' attention and no one was looking at him.

I highly doubt if many, if any, noticed it like I did.

Still an incredibly skilled player, but did I ever laugh at that.

That's all, deal with it.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think we can do that but we don't have anything coming through that is on the level of what Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider are. At least, I'm skeptical. I like Perrault but I still see his upside as Mats Zuccarello. Which is great, but it isn't Panarin.

If you assume all those players start to decline in their 30's, which I think is a fair assumption to make, they'll either have to accept diminished roles on the roster, or else we become a worse team.

Mas and us used to chat about having two core groups, the younger and the older. But it's evident to me now that Fox, Igor, Lafreniere isn't a full foundation to build a team around. We need a lot more.

I think the 'hope' is that the next group will contain guys like:
Miller
Schneider
Lafreniere
Kakko
Othmann
Perrault
Berard

and have some nice identity bottom-6 guys

You're right, that it's likely that this group would need to be augmented by good UFA signings but that's true of the last group as well between Panarin, Trochek and even trading for Trouba.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I like Guentzel the player but not the fit for the roster long term. I have no interest in giving up the package it would take to rent him, however. And to Pittsburgh at that.

With the team Drury is trying to build, I like Alex Tuch as a fit much more long term. Contract fits the team's window too.

Reactions: mas0764 and Guyute

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Have to think it would be Kakko/Othmann, 1st rounder, and a mid tier prospect if NYR were to offer.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Plus Perrault and a few others. Not to mention Schneider/Miller/Laf/Kakko are all in their early/mid 20's. If they make the right decisions moving forward they can be very competitive and not just the next 2 years.

Reactions: bl02

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
I think Guentzel is a very good player but what he would do on another team is ? He's been stapled to Sidney Crosby's line forever. Wherever he goes he's probably not going to have the same quality of center to work with. That might have been worth 10/15 extra goals season after season.
You don’t think he got any better playing with Crosby? His PPG numbers aren’t substantially different from when he plays with Crosby VS not. Still well over a PPG player.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Have to think it would be Kakko/Othmann, 1st rounder, and a mid tier prospect if NYR were to offer.
For a damn rental. And we still need to go out and get a center and maybe another center if Chytil can't come back next year.
I wouldn't be surprised if they ask for Cuylle a first and Berard or Sykora. If we didn't win cup and we gave up all that it would be a disaster.

KennyWu

Oct 14, 2010
Whether it's Guentzel or another forward, trading someone off the top 9 doesn't make sense to me at this point.

We have one line that's clicking and severely lacking depth. An upgrade would be good, but we need to add to this group and push players down to where they should be slotted IMO.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I'm not giving Pittsburgh anything for Guentzel. It'll cost too much and on top of that, he'll be on the market on 7/1.

They'd want one of the big prospects we do have and that is a no-go. Last thing we need is Othmann becoming a stud there.

That team is going to go through a nasty rebuild. They've got next to nothing. Let someone else pony up for him. I hope they suck for 20 years.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
Pretty confident if Guentzel comes here that he would not be a rental. He would likely be extended. Looking at what Drury is building, he would be a perfect fit for the style of player he covets.

Would be shocked if he parted with someone like Othmann for a rental player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad