Transfer: 2024 Summer Transfer Window - Closed Window Discussion

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yes. I agree 100%

With a gun to my head to chose between Salah vs VVD, I take VVD. Such a unique defender.
You'd also expect a defender, especially one who doesn't simply rely on closedown speed, to hold up to age better than an attacker.

Obviously Salah could play at a high level for another 5-6 years, but it's unlikely that he doesn't experience a decent dropoff as he gets further from 30

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
to be fair... Virgil does rely a bit on close down and positioning with his high line. He's able to use his size, read of the game, and physicality to limit pace concerns.

I think both could have productive careers going forward, but both will need to be managed and evolve a bit no matter Klopp or not.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Is Liverpool really set up for sustainable success or are they overachieving this season to 'win one more for Klopp' before he rides off into the sunset?

Though you did see some extra push after Klopp's announcement, they were playing at that level before. I don't think that's behind it. They just had a single down year. That was the abnormality. There was no rebuild. The year before last year's fifth, they placed second and had a positive goal difference of 68. They just left out a window and dropped off after that.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Is Liverpool really set up for sustainable success or are they overachieving this season to 'win one more for Klopp' before he rides off into the sunset?
How are they not set up for sustainable success? The infrastructure is in place. Braintrust is back. Midfield is rebuilt. They are pushing out PL level academy talent in all parts of the pitch. Yeah there is some “win it for the gipper” stuff going on, but it’s not like they mortgaged the future to do it; in fact the opposite has happened. Yeah they still h e more work to do but a lot of the major work is done

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It's crazy though how your view in players can change in a year.

Last year, I thought Mac Allister was a good squad or a good starter but nothing more, Szoboszlai as a potential World Class player, Gravenberch is a world class talent and Endo as a fringe player.

Now it is pretty clear in my mind that Mac Allister is the world class talent of that midfield what a revelation he has been (still very underrated in the football world for some reasons), Szoboszlai is maybe the squad player (he has not developed as I thought he would) still very decent, Gravenberch is a huge enigma that might never break it (Curtis Jones is clearly ahead of him now) and Endo is the first name of the teamsheet in that midfield after Mac Allister.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

Last year, I thought Mac Allister was a good squad or a good starter but nothing more, Szoboszlai as a potential World Class player, Gravenberch is a world class talent and Endo as a fringe player.

Now it is pretty clear in my mind that Mac Allister is the world class talent of that midfield what a revelation he has been (still very underrated in the football world for some reasons), Szoboszlai is maybe the squad player (he has not developed as I thought he would) still very decent, Gravenberch is a huge enigma that might never break it (Curtis Jones is clearly ahead of him now) and Endo is the first name of the teamsheet in that midfield after Mac Allister.

That's what good coaches do

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Think you are being very harsh on Szoboszlai, was in great form until getting injured. Has not played a ton of games recently and needs to get himself back into form. He will be fine.

Gravenberch still young and having a full preseason with the team will benefit him. He’s had high highs and low lows this season but he is still young and the talent is there

Reactions: gary69 and luiginb

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Think you are being very harsh on Szoboszlai, was in great form until getting injured. Has not played a ton of games recently and needs to get himself back into form. He will be fine.

Gravenberch still young and having a full preseason with the team will benefit him. He’s had high highs and low lows this season but he is still young and the talent is there
I still believe in them, especially Szobo but Mac Allister... wow. What a player.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I still believe in them, especially Szobo but Mac Allister... wow. What a player.
Yeah Alexis is special. Says more about him. People didn’t see it at first because they were used to that Fabinho archetype in that position; but failed to see we play a completely different way now. Alexis either way is a building block.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Basically, Real refuses that any Real french player participates in the Summer Olympics.
Except Mbappe has made it clear it was a HUGE objective of his to play in the Paris Olympics and win them. Regardless of his club.
But I was only joking since I'm sure it will be a condition for him to participate. Too bad for Tchouameni and Camavinga. It's in Paris FFS.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Basically, Real refuses that any Real french player participates in the Summer Olympics.
Except Mbappe has made it clear it was a HUGE objective of his to play in the Paris Olympics and win them. Regardless of his club.
But I was only joking since I'm sure it will be a condition for him to participate. Too bad for Tchouameni and Camavinga. It's in Paris FFS.
After seeing what Spain did to Pedri, it’s had to blame them

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It's extremely important for Mbappe, he's made it clear for years. I believe it's also very important for Tchou and Cama, but I guess they'll have less weight.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Honestly totally split on where I come down on this. I 100% understand the urge to go and win a gold medal on home soil.

But I have serious fixture congestion concerns for players who are only going to the Euros, let alone doing the Euros and then going straight to the Olympics. Mbappe, Camavinga, and Tchouameni will probably play 90 minutes in every single match at the Euros, and will almost definitely be playing up until at least the semi-finals on July 9-10, if not the final on July 14. Olympics then start 10 days later and go until August 10 (and, again, France will likely go deep and those three would be basically nailed on). La Liga this year started on August 11.

Guys have to have an off-season.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I think this question depends on how much you believe in players they have brought in this summer and how much they can get out of some of the older players they also have.

If you think that some combo of Gravenberch, Mac Allister, Szboszlai are fixing the midfield, then sure. If you think Nunez is on the ascent, and that you can get something out of Diaz, Jota and company, then sure.

Can Salah / Virgil continue to produce at their elite level?

I think there's also some young players who have a lot of upside (Quansah, Elliott, Jones, Bradley and a few others) but depends on a lot of things going right, or who comes in. Some of it will also certainly be down to the coach they get. Some players will be gone.
You didn’t even mention one of the best players in the world. I think they’re in a great spot for the future!

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Hard decision. I totally get it from the team POV. Pedri's health has sucked since that season. From the other side... the Olympics in your country, even your home town for some... I would also like to play it.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Hard decision. I totally get it from the team POV. Pedri's health has sucked since that season. From the other side... the Olympics in your country, even your home town for some... I would also like to play it.
I mean everyone is going to want to play. It’s up to the associations/managers/etc to protect these players from themselves. The Pedri thing was so obvious and so avoidable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad