Transfer: 2024 Summer Transfer Window - Closed Window Discussion

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Generally speaking, at all, anywhere, anytime. Doubly so in today's age of clickbait

Of course, but I find it’s worse in football than in the general news, though I’m probably going by better sources there.

They've been tracking him since Boca. He's a super talent. 100+ touches type of metronome. Combative duel winner. Extremely good breaking lines on the ground or with long balls. One of my favorite young players in the world.

What’s interesting is they went with Perrone when they could have had Varela.

Barca still linked with him even after the Porto move, but I wouldn’t read too much into that considering what he’d cost us.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Yeah Saudi League over paid for Fabinho, but John Henry wasn’t taking mid season trips there to flog his players off. Nothing to see here though. Chelsea know they are going to fail sustainability rules unless they can inflate the transfer values on their own players and do stuff like this, but yeah nothing to see here. Don’t see how this is any different that the stuff Barca and Juve got in trouble for with like the Arthur transfer except this is arguably worse because they are sending them to a different continent

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I am happy about Michael Edwards appointment but knowing his strict policies regarding long term contract for older players and how he is VERY data driven I would not be that shocked if Salah and/or Van Dijk are sold this summer instead of being offered new contracts. I am not for it, but knowing that he left LFC in the first place because they decided to offer Jordan Henderson a new contract by Klopp's request instead of signing Guimaraes. Now that he has full reign to decide, I expect some shocking transfer next summer.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
There was also plenty of talk last summer of waiting a year and then cashing in on the Salah to Saudi sale this next summer at a time when Edwards wasn't even in the picture

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I am happy about Michael Edwards appointment but knowing his strict policies regarding long term contract for older players and how he is VERY data driven I would not be that shocked if Salah and/or Van Dijk are sold this summer instead of being offered new contracts. I am not for it, but knowing that he left LFC in the first place because they decided to offer Jordan Henderson a new contract by Klopp's request instead of signing Guimaraes. Now that he has full reign to decide, I expect some shocking transfer next summer.
Salah and Virgil I do not think are comparable to Henderson. Those are the outliers because those are BDO/World XI level players. Henderson, not so much. Think there will be more of an appetite to keep those guys on because their level is expontially higher

There was also plenty of talk last summer of waiting a year and then cashing in on the Salah to Saudi sale this next summer at a time when Edwards wasn't even in the picture
There were, but LFC as a club is also in a much better spot now than they were last summer. And frankly the Saudi project(s) look much worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: luiginb

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
There were, but LFC as a club is also in a much better spot now than they were last summer. And frankly the Saudi project(s) look much worse.

Sure, though if that 200m is still on the table, and Salah's cool with it, a lot can be done with a chunk of change like that

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Sure, though if that 200m is still on the table, and Salah's cool with it, a lot can be done with a chunk of change like that
That’s a lot of “IFs” though. LFC are in frame to contend for the PL and UCL again next season too; so maybe selling their best forward isn’t the move either. It’s not like this time last year when we thought it would be a full rebuild. Even without Klopp (which is a damn shame he doesn’t get one more shot at UCL) he’s leaving the club about as well as you can for his successor. Ferguson and Wenger didn’t leave Utd or Arsenal in nearly as good shape as Klopp is. So there isn’t really a need to sell; I think another short term extension could be likely? But I don’t know that a Saudi offer is going to be all that tempting. I don’t even know that Salah takes that move

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Does Salah even want to go?

He and his agent think he's going to be a highly effective player up until his late 30s. He's only 31 now (32 in June). There's certainly a large, giant stack of money for him if he decides he's willing to go. But his competitive nature and wanting to win stuff that matters would lead me to think now might not be the time.

There's still also a lot of geopolitics in it. Saudi / Egypt aren't exactly on the greatest of terms. Too often the Middle East / Muslim world is seen as some monolith, and that's not true at all. Sure, buckets of money make a difference but I don't know if he's a layup to want to go.

In footballing terms, I think the player might be more interested in another challenge that still involves the CL. For Liverpool? I don't think they'll want him to go, but if a massive offer came in and the player was amenable, I think they would make a move.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Does Salah even want to go?

He and his agent think he's going to be a highly effective player up until his late 30s. He's only 31 now (32 in June). There's certainly a large, giant stack of money for him if he decides he's willing to go. But his competitive nature and wanting to win stuff that matters would lead me to think now might not be the time.

There's still also a lot of geopolitics in it. Saudi / Egypt aren't exactly on the greatest of terms. Too often the Middle East / Muslim world is seen as some monolith, and that's not true at all. Sure, buckets of money make a difference but I don't know if he's a layup to want to go.

In footballing terms, I think the player might be more interested in another challenge that still involves the CL. For Liverpool? I don't think they'll want him to go, but if a massive offer came in and the player was amenable, I think they would make a move.

I was also surprised last summer that he seemed open to going. I think we were all surprised at the number of players that went there, including many who were not at "that stage" of their careers. Could this have changed after one year seeing what that's meant for the players who did go? Of course, but at the same time any notions I had of having a sense for someone's willingness to go have been thrown into disarray, so I am hesitant to presume anything in that regard.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Is Liverpool really set up for sustainable success or are they overachieving this season to 'win one more for Klopp' before he rides off into the sunset?
I think this question depends on how much you believe in players they have brought in this summer and how much they can get out of some of the older players they also have.

If you think that some combo of Gravenberch, Mac Allister, Szboszlai are fixing the midfield, then sure. If you think Nunez is on the ascent, and that you can get something out of Diaz, Jota and company, then sure.

Can Salah / Virgil continue to produce at their elite level?

I think there's also some young players who have a lot of upside (Quansah, Elliott, Jones, Bradley and a few others) but depends on a lot of things going right, or who comes in. Some of it will also certainly be down to the coach they get. Some players will be gone.

I was also surprised last summer that he seemed open to going. I think we were all surprised at the number of players that went there, including many who were not at "that stage" of their careers. Could this have changed after one year seeing what that's meant for the players who did go? Of course, but at the same time any notions I had of having a sense for someone's willingness to go have been thrown into disarray, so I am hesitant to presume anything in that regard.
I think he was willing to listen, especially when other talented players were leaving, the money was absurd, and Liverpool looked to be in a rebuild of sorts.

But now? this club could be setup to win some things in the next season or two. But we don't know.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think this question depends on how much you believe in players they have brought in this summer and how much they can get out of some of the older players they also have.

If you think that some combo of Gravenberch, Mac Allister, Szboszlai are fixing the midfield, then sure. If you think Nunez is on the ascent, and that you can get something out of Diaz, Jota and company, then sure.

Can Salah / Virgil continue to produce at their elite level?

I think there's also some young players who have a lot of upside (Quansah, Elliott, Jones, Bradley and a few others) but depends on a lot of things going right, or who comes in. Some of it will also certainly be down to the coach they get. Some players will be gone.

I think he was willing to listen, especially when other talented players were leaving, the money was absurd, and Liverpool looked to be in a rebuild of sorts.

But now? this club could be setup to win some things in the next season or two. But we don't know.

I like the midfield buys, but I’m less sure that the attack stays good enough if Salah starts “looking his age”. Which is why I wonder if this isn’t a high water mark, and if selling high on Salah / VdV wouldn’t be the shrewd move.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I like the midfield buys, but I’m less sure that the attack stays good enough if Salah starts “looking his age”. Which is why I wonder if this isn’t a high water mark, and if selling high on Salah / VdV wouldn’t be the shrewd move.
Yeah, I don't know about the attack. I think Nunez is only beginning to tap into his upside with Liverpool, but that could change with a different manager. I'm pro Diaz / Jota (though both will be 28 next season). Gakpo the jury is out, but maybe in a different system they can unlock a bit more. He's been really unlucky. I think they need to invest pretty heavily there come summer. Especially considering how high the club is on Quansah (and rightfully so) they might only need one central defender to bring along, more so than 2. I would likely want another midfielder for Endo at some point (though more development player down the line)

I think selling Salah would be the shrewd move, based on likely potential wear down. But it's also a lot of goals to replace in the side. I think as long as Virgil wants to stay, the cost to replace, and likely return would mean keeping him is best for everyone.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah the manager change is so hard to legislate for. Individually I like Szobo, Gravenberch, and the kid from Home Alone, but I'm less convinced they'd blend well under every manager without someone coming in to succeed Endo.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Yeah the manager change is so hard to legislate for. Individually I like Szobo, Gravenberch, and the kid from Home Alone, but I'm less convinced they'd blend well under every manager without someone coming in to succeed Endo.
I would be interested in what Xabi would want to do. I think all three have enough ability to fit into a different system. They're good enough players, technically and physically, but how that shakes out is up in the air.

I think some of the "this player doesn't fit for this manager" talk is a bit overblown. Sure, there will likely be some players who want a different challenge and some who just don't mesh, but Liverpool bought players who had multi-faceted ability along with adaptability. You could argue that positions in Liverpool's squad really doesn't mean much all the time. Trent demonstrates that most of all. He's nominally a RB, but moves into midfield. Salah is a wide forward, but does winger and striker stuff. Is Mac Allister an 8, a 6 or a 10. No one even knows what position Gravenberch should play. Most of these players are also really intelligent.

The best part of Edwards being back is he's going to find someone who fits what the team wants to do, and he will be ruthless with players he has to getting the squad moving forward.

To be fair, I am tending to lean towards it might not be Xabi. Amorim is really interesting for me. I kind of wonder how a 3 4 3 works.. though maybe that hastens the TAA to midfield movement.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Forgot to mention it yesterday but some top prospects have started getting poached for the summer in the BuLi.

Hertha's Bence Dardai will be joining FC VW, while Köln's Justin Diehl will be leaving for Stuttgart. Both young attackers have senior NT talent and have been trending well. Diehl in particular seems poised to start breaking through.

Last edited:

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Having someone to come in as a long-term option in the DM role I think is gonna be the key. He's been totally lights out, but is 31. Part of me thinks that - while neither of them is a 6 - both Mac Allister and Gravenberch are good enough defensively and smart enough positionally that they could work fine as a double pivot without needing a pure 6 or wasting their main talents. I think it would largely come down to manager and structure (and it of course bears emphasizing here that Alonso's Leverkusen doesn't really have a pure DM).

If I were a Liverpool fan I wouldn't be worried about the attack, other than worrying about Jota's fitness. 21-22 is the only season for Liverpool he's played more than 30 games in all competitions. But Nunez is already absolutely brilliant and keeps looking better and better. I'm less crazy about Gakpo and I wonder what a better option in the front three there could be for them.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I would be interested in what Xabi would want to do. I think all three have enough ability to fit into a different system. They're good enough players, technically and physically, but how that shakes out is up in the air.

I think some of the "this player doesn't fit for this manager" talk is a bit overblown. Sure, there will likely be some players who want a different challenge and some who just don't mesh, but Liverpool bought players who had multi-faceted ability along with adaptability. You could argue that positions in Liverpool's squad really doesn't mean much all the time. Trent demonstrates that most of all. He's nominally a RB, but moves into midfield. Salah is a wide forward, but does winger and striker stuff. Is Mac Allister an 8, a 6 or a 10. No one even knows what position Gravenberch should play. Most of these players are also really intelligent.

The best part of Edwards being back is he's going to find someone who fits what the team wants to do, and he will be ruthless with players he has to getting the squad moving forward.

To be fair, I am tending to lean towards it might not be Xabi. Amorim is really interesting for me. I kind of wonder how a 3 4 3 works.. though maybe that hastens the TAA to midfield movement.

Not saying only Kloppo can make it work, moreso that Kloppo's system works well with that kind of versatility in midfield because of the emphasis on transition play, many other successful managers implement a much more structured midfield with more clearly delineated roles. For example, Xabi's played with a very clearly defined double-pivot behind Wirtz & co for Leverkusen, and I'm not sure your midfielders would work as well in that set up.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Having someone to come in as a long-term option in the DM role I think is gonna be the key. He's been totally lights out, but is 31. Part of me thinks that - while neither of them is a 6 - both Mac Allister and Gravenberch are good enough defensively and smart enough positionally that they could work fine as a double pivot without needing a pure 6 or wasting their main talents. I think it would largely come down to manager and structure (and it of course bears emphasizing here that Alonso's Leverkusen doesn't really have a pure DM).

If I were a Liverpool fan I wouldn't be worried about the attack, other than worrying about Jota's fitness. 21-22 is the only season for Liverpool he's played more than 30 games in all competitions. But Nunez is already absolutely brilliant and keeps looking better and better. I'm less crazy about Gakpo and I wonder what a better option in the front three there could be for them.

Andrich is very much a holding 6 for Leverkusen like he was for us. Also Xhaka doesn't push forward for them nearly as much as he was for Arsenal at the end or any of LFC's young midfielders. He's more of a physical deep lying playmaker at the 6, but it's his passing more than his forward runs that have given Leverkusen such better connectivity between the attack & defense this season. And Palacios hangs back more than Liverpool's midfielders as well.

Not saying it couldn't work, or that Xabi wouldn't adjust, but the way Leverkusen are playing this season; their double pivot is much more conservative positionally and it's Wirtz's genius in a free role that really brings it all together.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, the solution to me is just buy Wirtz and figure it out.

I think both Gravenberch / Mac Allister have enough ability on the ball fit some of what they would be asked to do. It would be much more structured if it's Xabi for sure.

I don't know if buying a 6 is the goal, but there's money in the budget to do it if that's what the new manager wants.

Jota's fitness is the issue. If he's fit, he's so clinical at times he can make up some potential goal losses if say, Salah goes to Saudi. Nunez is certainly on the upswing.

I just think there might be room for another body if Diaz / Gakpo don't really fit what a new manager would want, and especially with eyes towards Salah likely at minimum aging, but possibly moving at some point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad