Red Sox/MLB 2024 Spring Training Part 4: - Ownership seems content with another last place finish in 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Just means the kids are gonna be ok

Mark “Hate Crime” Wahlberg, Mark “9/11 Wouldn’t Have Gone Down Like That if I was on the Plane” Wahlberg

Great in The Departed though
I can see how Wahlberg rubs people the wrong way. There is a bit of the grew up working class so he still acts like a hardo with a chip on his shoulder despite the fact that he's successfully and safely upper class now. That said, I do think he's one of the few celebrities who has fundamentally turned themselves around and is a much better human being today than he was when he was a teenage street urchin jumping Vietnamese immigrants.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I can see how Wahlberg rubs people the wrong way. There is a bit of the grew up working class so he still acts like a hardo with a chip on his shoulder despite the fact that he's successfully and safely upper class now. That said, I do think he's one of the few celebrities who has fundamentally turned themselves around and is a much better human being today than he was when he was a teenage street urchin jumping Vietnamese immigrants.
And a drug addict. Started using cocaine at the age of 13. And then harder drugs. He genuinely has remorse. He turned his life around. Who am I to judge when someone changes their life for good. Isn't that the point of life?

Not a fan of his movies really.

Reactions: McGarnagle

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I have the Hallow app and absolutely love it. The Pray40 challenge is excellent. And there's so much things to do. I've been doing a lot of meditations. I don't mind Whalberg. He loves God. He came up with a great app. Over a million people are using it.

Meanwhile the Red Sox just make me feel so apathetic that it hurts. Sell the team. I beg.
I got the Calm app to deal with being a Boston sports app

• Haha
Reactions: Mione134

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
As for Bauer, that interview was off the rails.

I can compartmentalize the baseball from the non-baseball and consistently don't have any real problem in signing piece of shit humans as long as they can help the team. But that last part of the sentence is the key. His problems haven't ever been limited to the bedroom and Twitter, he's caustic in a locker room and that jeopardizes chemistry and team performance, which begins to outweigh the positive value from his pitching even before you factor in the PR backlash.

He's basically Schilling with a bondage fetish.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
This is in no way a defense of or a desire to sign any one individual, but if they attempted to get rid of every scumbag in professional sports, each league would be able to field like 5 or 6 teams.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
As for Bauer, that interview was off the rails.

I can compartmentalize the baseball from the non-baseball and consistently don't have any real problem in signing piece of shit humans as long as they can help the team. But that last part of the sentence is the key. His problems haven't ever been limited to the bedroom and Twitter, he's caustic in a locker room and that jeopardizes chemistry and team performance, which begins to outweigh the positive value from his pitching even before you factor in the PR backlash.

He's basically Schilling with a bondage fetish.

Thanks for the image.

BTW, We'll see how sanguine John Henry is when the locals decide they're not going to pay to see crap.

I'll admit that tourists & pink hats will likely obviate that. But the gravy train will come to a halt sooner or later.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Thanks for the image.

BTW, We'll see how sanguine John Henry is when the locals decide they're not going to pay to see crap.

I'll admit that tourists & pink hats will likely obviate that. But the gravy train will come to a halt sooner or later.

I think it's going to be shocking to most people how bad ratings and attendance are this year.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I’m somewhat interested in the team in the same way that I was really into the 05-06 and 06-07 Bruins teams.

Hard to explain.

And I wouldn’t really consider myself a Red Sox fan at this point.

Just intrigued to see how big a shit show it really is.

I went to quite a few games in 2012. Scooped up lots of very cheap tickets.

Reactions: McGarnagle

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I think it's going to be shocking to most people how bad ratings and attendance are this year.
I really hope you're right, Mike.

I hope people don't show up at all. We need to send a message.

Though I genuinely don't this ownership cares, especially Henry.

He's got Liverpool. The Penguins. And now PGA.

He's happy.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Reactions: Mione134

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I’m somewhat interested in the team in the same way that I was really into the 05-06 and 06-07 Bruins teams.

Hard to explain.

And I wouldn’t really consider myself a Red Sox fan at this point.

Just intrigued to see how big a shit show it really is.

I went to quite a few games in 2012. Scooped up lots of very cheap tickets.
I think 05-06 Bruins post-Thornton trade is a good analogue. This year is going to be toxic with the media and players, somewhat reminiscent of the Bobby Valentine year but with much more rancor directed at ownership and less goodwill from previous championships giving them an out.

If they fall behind early in the season, things are going to get ugly.

Reactions: rfournier103

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I hope attendance and ratings crash right through the floor to the point of MLB calling John Henry out. The Boston Red Sox are one of the flagship MLB franchises and the Red Sox generate huge ratings when they’re anywhere close to competitive. The fortunes of the Sox and MLB are inexorably entwined.

Reactions: EverettMike

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site

1708652612278.png

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Dan Roche is right... this is embarrassing. I've been largely on board with the way the team has been run since Chaim Bloom was hired, because while I think the execution was lacking, they generally had the right ideas.

But there is no good reason for this team to be this far under the CBT threshhold. Zero. I need someone at the ownership level to explain to me why there's a need or a desire to cut payroll.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Unless they're resetting the luxury tax for a single season (a smart move I have fully supported in the past and will again in the future when necessary) the thought of the Red Sox having a budget is a f***ing disgrace.

Reactions: Lord Ahriman

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
they are the black sheep of the city at this point, very embarrassed to root for them. People are gonna be wearing paper bags at the games this year.
The most frustrating part for me is that this team is not that bad. Again... give me Montgomery, Giolito, Bello, Pivetta, and Crawford as your five man rotation, and I think they've got a puncher's chance at a playoff birth.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The most frustrating part for me is that this team is not that bad. Again... give me Montgomery, Giolito, Bello, Pivetta, and Crawford as your five man rotation, and I think they've got a puncher's chance at a playoff birth.
100% agree, could absolutely contend for a wild card with that rotation. No true ace but 5 solid guys.

And it would give the appearance that they care at least a little bit and people would be more inclined to watch and thus get them more money. But no, they’re going to act like a poverty franchise instead. Total f***ing disgrace

Reactions: 22Brad Park
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad