Red Sox/MLB 2024 Spring Training Part 4: - Ownership seems content with another last place finish in 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sam Kennedy says payroll will be down next season

SPRINGFIELD — The sidewalk on one side of the MassMutual Center was blocked by concrete barriers and a chain-link fence wrapped in blue plastic. Orange barrels lined the streets.

That made it an appropriate venue for the Red Sox Winter Weekend fan event that got started on Friday night.
A team that has been under construction for four years still isn’t ready to wrap up the project. Proceed with caution.

It shouldn’t come as a surprise to anybody who has followed the offseason, but team president Sam Kennedy acknowledged that the team’s payroll would probably drop again this season.
Kennedy said the Sox “obviously didn’t match up” with the high-profile starters on the free-agent market and would remain disciplined with that approach.

“We’re going to let this build of our team sort of dictate what we do as we move forward,” Kennedy said.
How long will that take?

“I don’t think it would be appropriate to offer a timetable on anything at this point,” he said. “I think we need to do the work and let our actions speak louder than our words.”

Then Tom Werner pipes up

Meanwhile the Sox continue to charge the highest ticket prices in the league. How do they justify that given the reduction in payroll?

Team chairman Tom Werner took that question, saying he understood fans were frustrated.

“We spend a lot of time trying to figure out ways to bring new fans to the park. We have some tickets that are very affordable for students,” he said.

“We spend a lot of time talking about the experience at Fenway. We think our record is probably the most important thing but there are other things that make going to Fenway a special place.”

So get ready for another season of fans of the visiting team filling up the grandstands in right field and behind third base.

Why pay for good players when a pile of bricks from 1912 sells itself? Fenway has become another stop on the Freedom Trail for tourists at this point. Hey, kids, that’s where Mookie Betts used to play.

Werner also pointed out that the teams with the three highest payrolls last season didn’t make the playoffs.

That’s true. The Mets, Yankees, and Padres all flopped.

But it’s also true the Sox had the highest payroll in the game in 2018, the second highest in 2004 and 2007, and the third highest in 2013. How did that work out?

Texas had the fourth-highest payroll last season. It’s fair to say the Rangers don’t regret signing Nate Eovaldi, Corey Seager, and their other stars after winning the World Series.

All this is not a precursor to selling the team. Werner called the Sox the cornerstone of Fenway Sports Group and said there were no plans to sell. They want to own the team for decades to come.

The crowd at Winter Weekend booed Kennedy when he made an appearance on the stage with new chief baseball officer Craig Breslow. But it was not nearly as ferocious as last year.

“You’re Chaim Bloom 2.0!” one leather-lunged audience member shouted at Breslow.

Werner stayed behind the scenes this time. Principal owner John Henry, who also owns the Globe, was not at the event because of a schedule conflict.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Gammons reporting the Sox duped Breslow he doesn't have the finances he was told he would.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
@Fenway, they are damaging your name!
I understand their business logic

Liverpool OWNERSHIP can make MILLIONS in bonus money with a good season

1705751960235.png

MLB does not reward ownership with a good season as MLB simply pays a team to host a postseason game but keeps the revenue.

The Red Sox are content with averaging 33,000 a game

1705752609794.png

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Gammons reporting the Sox duped Breslow he doesn't have the finances he was told he would.
You gotta be shitting me. And you know what? I believe the reporting. Nothing surprises me at this point.

You had to settle on your 15th choice for GM and even then you only got him because you made false promises.

When will be the next time John Henry shows his face in front of Red Sox fans

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
If you keep paying good money to go to Fenway and support these owners, you are a sucker for punishment.

The paradox is these owners have won it all four times in 22 years. Nobody in MLB has done better.

The Joker is the Patriots in the same time frame have won it all six times

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Queen Linda is in control

She was 25 when the Red Sox broke the curse in 2004 and thought it was cool.

20 years later she is a MAJOR power broker in Boston

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I basically divorced myself from the Red Sox as a fan sometime after 2011 and the way they treated Francona.

If I had to call myself a fan of a team, it would be the Blue Jays. However, it is difficult to be engaged enough to watch 162 of their games.

It’s a lot easier just to throw the Red Sox during the summer as something to passively have on in the background.

My wife likes to go and I will take my old man once a year so we go a couple times a year and sit up in the old Coke deck. I’m sure I will take Jacob to a game this summer, whether we are still living in the area or not.

Tony Mazz is going to have some great content to work with this summer.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I can’t believe how many of you are missing the brilliance here.

They are clearly going for a “Major League” type season with Werner/Henry playing the role of the two headed, much, much less attractive Rachel Phelps.

WS here we come!

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I had the same thought, but I have no idea if that would sink his future GM aspirations. Would the other owners be furious he embarrassed one of their own? Probably....?
They need to sign Casas to a long term deal before All Star break if he does as well as I think

Breslow probably like us thought they’d spend

I agree not paying pitchers long term over 30 but I’d still go 4/80 on Monty (that’s E-Rod deal)

Interesting Boras guys not signed - what a f***ihg POS that guy is

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Breslow should quit
No way - the beauty of how this unfolded is the target is where I want it, Henry & WERNER

So happy Werner not letting GM, Sam Kennedy, Henry, manager not eating up his blame

This to me is working well - although I do not want Christmas Eve shopping at CVS

No Panda or Hanley or Sale crap

Love that people are angry everywhere I turn

FrankerC

Jun 24, 2016
Lewiston, Maine
The thing that makes me the most annoyed is how they reeled me back in in 2018 but everything has been bad since. They had the foundation for a dynasty set in 2018 and just because they wanted to penny pinch, we are where we are. Content on selling tickets to oblivious pink hat fans.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
The thing that makes me the most annoyed is how they reeled me back in in 2018 but everything has been bad since. They had the foundation for a dynasty set in 2018 and just because they wanted to penny pinch, we are where we are. Content on selling tickets to oblivious pink hat fans.

In 21 they were one awful call away from possibly taking a 3-2 lead in the ALCS vs. the Astros.

Point stands though, they should be consistently better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad