OT: 2024 Solar Eclipse

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Went to sit in a friends driveway since she had extra glasses. She has a tortoise and she brought him outside since it’s a nice day and poor guy has been cooped up all winter. Clearly, the glasses are in jest.

bf1291e2-3268-4e66-8018-11fdd6a0bdef.jpeg

Coolest part was driving home, tons of people out on their porches and at local parks watching.

So few things bring people together, was really cool to see everyone out doing the same thing.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I saw it a few times, mostly watched the kids get excited about it. They're funny like that

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
My daughter in Austin and she sent me great videos - she said they drove a bit to avoid clouds. She’s a photographer her BF & best bud engineers/scientists so they seemed to be on this

at 3:30 in Peabody we were getting 93%

My bird feeder had a lot of birds and Lot of different types and they never left they were consistently there the entire time - however I did have a big starling fly full blast into my tv room window by feeder

But at 3:25 my cat started acting weird lot of meowing and kind of pained look. My trash is tomorrow so I had just changed the litter and he came in a went into litter at 3:28 and started rolling on site and back - I tried to pick him up but he wouldn’t let me

I went to grab my phone in next room to take a picture but he walked out and seemed relatively fine and normal (normal for a cat is an oxymoron)

That was it

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Of course the clouds have dissipated here now... about two hours too late

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Went to sit in a friends driveway since she had extra glasses. She has a tortoise and she brought him outside since it’s a nice day and poor guy has been cooped up all winter. Clearly, the glasses are in jest.

View attachment 848282

Coolest part was driving home, tons of people out on their porches and at local parks watching.

So few things bring people together, was really cool to see everyone out doing the same thing.
I think that bringing people together is the real story when talking about the eclipse. We need more of these moments no matter how silly they may seem to some.

Getting to experience it with my sister and mom is what I will remember most when someone asks where were you for the eclipse.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Pretty cloudy in Niagara probably good because the wife just talked to her stepfather,and he had his binoculars out looking at it ,we got him the special glasses,hoping he didn’t fry his retinas.

• Wow
Reactions: caz16

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
Wonderful photos everyone! My daughter rented an airbnb in Vermont, still a bit south of totality, but she took 495 and avoided the traffic. She's staying until Wednesday. We both bought some glasses months ago. I went out into my building's parking lot around 3pm and watched intermittently. I think we had about 97% covered, but you definitely needed the glasses to see anything unless you got to 100% totality.
Glad I'm retired and got to see it, was working all through the 2017 one.

Reactions: caz16 and BMC

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
My daughter in Indianapolis says crazy cool. Total dark like midnight and all the street lights came on.

Im enjoying it here so far. Might as well since Ma wont get a near full again until 2078.

I basically watched it via cardboard box and, while working at home, turned on NatGeo, which had live coverage from the Speedway, among other spots along the path. The live shots of totality, showing the solar activity, were excellent.

1712616755342.png

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
It definitely got darker here, like it was clouding up. It soon cleared though.

Watched the eclipse on NASA's live stream, they broadcasted it by telescope from locations in Mexico & the United States.

It was oddly moving to watch.

Reactions: caz16

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Went to Peacham, VT to a small observatory. It was one of the most moving things I have ever seen. What really stood out was right before totality, seeing the shadow coming across then reaching us. We had about 1 minute but we were able to reach it via back roads so I don't think it would have been worth going further north.

Attachments

• IMG_3686.jpg
    IMG_3686.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3689.jpg
    IMG_3689.jpg
    470.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3693.jpg
    IMG_3693.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3695.jpg
    IMG_3695.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
For some reason that scientists don’t understand yet, the moon makes people act weird. I appreciate science as much as anyone, but some things defy explanation.

My son and I went up to Lancaster NH for it and it was pretty cool, but I won’t lie it was a bit eerie as well.

On the drive up, we passed two dairy farms and I’m not exaggerating, not one cow moved as we passed by.

Same thing on the way home.

While we were outside for two hours waiting for the eclipse, we didn’t hear one bird chirp or one dog bark.

Can’t really explain much more…..just a weird feeling.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I got to watch this from Tucson Az today. Cooler then I expected, but I just took one peak. I didn't feel the need to watch the moon migrate through the sun, and I wasn't disappointed to miss the path of totality.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
My son and I went up to Lancaster NH for it and it was pretty cool, but I won’t lie it was a bit eerie as well.

On the drive up, we passed two dairy farms and I’m not exaggerating, not one cow moved as we passed by.

Same thing on the way home.

While we were outside for two hours waiting for the eclipse, we didn’t hear one bird chirp or one dog bark.

Can’t really explain much more…..just a weird feeling.
My house was like 98% and I am so glad I went to see 100%, the last minute or two were a big change. Seeing the shadow coming towards us was wild.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena

View attachment 848282

Can we talk more about this tortoise?

How old? Have they had it the whole time?

There is a box turtle at VINS in Vermont that has write up that basically says it was born in 1978 and all the kids moved away and the parents donated it to the museum (in the nicest way)

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
All I could think was that 7 percent was still a lotta sun and light. If no one said that there was an eclipse I might have just thought it was a strange cloud pattern happening. I probably should have gone north.

Reactions: Ladyfan and Gordoff

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Can we talk more about this tortoise?

How old? Have they had it the whole time?

There is a box turtle at VINS in Vermont that has write up that basically says it was born in 1978 and all the kids moved away and the parents donated it to the museum (in the nicest way)

Ha. We sure can.

He’s about 25, I believe. My friends (now) husband got him in Florida in pre-9/11 days; he carried him home to Chicago in the pocket of his cargo shorts.

He lived with my friends husband in Chicago, and stayed there with his dad when they moved to Boston. About 4 years ago the tortoise made the move here and has been with them ever since. We joke that my friend is the stepmother.

• Love
Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Ha. We sure can.

He’s about 25, I believe. My friends (now) husband got him in Florida in pre-9/11 days; he carried him home to Chicago in the pocket of his cargo shorts.

He lived with my friends husband in Chicago, and stayed there with his dad when they moved to Boston. About 4 years ago the tortoise made the move here and has been with them ever since. We joke that my friend is the stepmother.
I love all of this.

Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad