Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
My server just said words I never expected to hear in Quebec

Bonne chance à vos Bruins de Boston

View attachment 848058
Wow.

The interactions I’ve had with Habs fans both here in the forum and in person have been similar. All but one* have been at least civil, and the overwhelming majority have been respectful and friendly. Some of the best hockey talk and single serving friends (“Fight Club” reference) have come from my meeting Canadiens fans. They hate the Bruins as much as we hate the Habs, but for the most part, there’s respect.

They’ll never admit it, but they would probably rather the Bruins win the next three Stanley Cups than for the Leafs to win one. Toronto is DEFINITELY a team they don’t respect.

Bonne chance, indeed.

*the one Habs fan I met who really gave me attitude was a woman who was infuriated that I was talking hockey with her fiancé (a Sens fan) and holding him up from a pre-wedding lunch at a resort in the DR. She walked over, squawked at him en français, looked at my Bruins t-shirt, locked eyes with me and stared into my soul, turned and walked away without speaking a syllable to me. I asked the fiancé if she was a Habs fan, and he says “yup.” Her fiancé, the best man (a Maple Leafs fan also in the conversation) and I all laughed our asses off over that whole encounter. After she walked away, of course.

• Love
Reactions: BMC

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Screenshot_20240405_125210_Samsung Internet.jpg

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
We are about 3.5 hours from Idabel, OK where it will be totality. Lots of traffic and people already down there which is so needed after suffering a direct blow from a EF4 tornado in November 2022.

Aside from traffic, they are concerned about the severe weather expected to roll into the area around 5pm. As long as people are patient, they will be able to get out before the storms.

Here in Norman we are at 95% totality. Some schools are planning to watch it on tv because of how difficult it is to keep kids from looking at the sun as well as being mindful of the beliefs of students who are Native.

I had no idea about how various tribes view the eclipse so it has been great to see the stories on the news here that highlight them. Many of them believe the eclipse signifies death. The Cherokee here in OK believe the eclipse is a giant frog trying to eat the sun and they go outside and make noises and beat drums to drive the frog away.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
We are about 3.5 hours from Idabel, OK where it will be totality. Lots of traffic and people already down there which is so needed after suffering a direct blow from a EF4 tornado in November 2022.

Aside from traffic, they are concerned about the severe weather expected to roll into the area around 5pm. As long as people are patient, they will be able to get out before the storms.

Here in Norman we are at 95% totality. Some schools are planning to watch it on tv because of how difficult it is to keep kids from looking at the sun as well as being mindful of the beliefs of students who are Native.

I had no idea about how various tribes view the eclipse so it has been great to see the stories on the news here that highlight them. Many of them believe the eclipse signifies death. The Cherokee here in OK believe the eclipse is a giant frog trying to eat the sun and they go outside and make noises and beat drums to drive the frog away.

Heres what the Nipmuc tribe in Grafton posted.

• Love
Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Heres what the Nipmuc tribe in Grafton posted.

Thank you for this. Makes me wish we knew what tribe my family is a part of on my mom's side but we've had zero luck thabks to a fire that destroyed many records.

Reactions: Gee Wally

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
A co-worker booked a trip to Texas some time last year, when it was thought that it would be the best spot for some Totality action. Spent a decent chunk of change on it too. Turns out she could've just headed North 2 hours. She is most unhappy, to say the least

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
A co-worker booked a trip to Texas some time last year, when it was thought that it would be the best spot for some Totality action. Spent a decent chunk of change on it too. Turns out she could've just headed North 2 hours. She is most unhappy, to say the least

11 minutes ago.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Ask any EMS or ER person and they will tell you the full moon brings out the crazies.
I worked at two hospitals before I became an electrician, and I would tell you the same thing. Definitely something there…

Reactions: BMC

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I'm heading northward about 80 miles to get deep in the path of totality.
Black Hole Sun, here I come.
I am heading out to my back deck at 2 pm. I will just stand there as I don't have any of the glasses.

I will be thinking of my Dad (would love this stuff).....and would be mad at me for not having the equipment to be able to actually watch.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad