Patriots/NFL 2024 Playoffs Part 2: Pats have 3rd pick. Mayo new HC. Where does Belichick land? Bill O'Brien to leave Patriots for Ohio State OC job

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
surprising such a garbage franchise would pass on Bill.
Atlanta roster outside of quarterback is good. Compete hard. Nice uniforms, like that 'ATL' style. Do not want grumpy geriatric mucking with the team for couple of years.

Last edited:
Reactions: DKH

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Now you do any great coach without a great QB
This can be argued multiple different ways. I’m not saying Bill is a bad coach either. Just that he was fortunate to have the goat of QBs fall into his lap. I think the amount of credit he gets from some here is overblown and discounts the players contributions, tbh. I also think he’s really dropped off as a gm and that the game simply passed him by.

But to answer my own question, he’s had 11 seasons as a head coach without Brady and his record is like 85-103, or something close to that. Of the 11 years, he’s had losing seasons in 8 of them. That’s not a good look and doesn’t scream goat coach, imo, when your success is only with one player at qb.

Reactions: MillerTime29Bombs

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
This can be argued multiple different ways. I’m not saying Bill is a bad coach either. Just that he was fortunate to have the goat of QBs fall into his lap. I think the amount of credit he gets from some here is overblown and discounts the players contributions, tbh. I also think he’s really dropped off as a gm and that the game simply passed him by.

But to answer my own question, he’s had 11 seasons as a head coach without Brady and his record is like 85-103, or something close to that. Of the 11 years, he’s had losing seasons in 8 of them. That’s not a good look and doesn’t scream goat coach, imo, when your success is only with one player at qb.
I'll give you some help...

Brian Billick. 9yr career record of 80-64 with the Ravens, with a Super Bowl win. His starting QBs during that time were:

Tony Banks
Trent Dilfer
Elvis Grbac
Chris Redman
Jeff Blake
Kyle Boller
a dinged up Steve McNair at the very end of his career

Now THAT's a motley crew of QBs, right there.......

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Brian Billick. 9yr career record of 80-64 with the Ravens, with a Super Bowl win. His starting QBs during that time were:

Tony Banks
Trent Dilfer
Elvis Grbac
Chris Redman
Jeff Blake
Kyle Boller

Yeah it only took the greatest defense of all time to carry him there. He has 1 playoff win outside of that year

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Tony Banks
Trent Dilfer
Elvis Grbac
Chris Redman
Jeff Blake
Kyle Boller

Mike Tomlin is another example of a guy that has won with multiple quarterbacks as is Joe Gibbs

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Mike Tomlin is another example of a guy that has won with multiple quarterbacks as is Joe Gibbs
Mike Tomlin had Ben Roethlisberger from the day he was hired until 2021. Since then he made one Wild Card with Mason Rudolph and got whacked by the Bills in the playoffs, which is the exact same result Bill got from Mac Jones.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Umm why is this getting out exactly? But let's say it's true. I sure as hell hope Raheem Morris is keeping this guy otherwise this looks really bad. Wouldn't surprise me if the Pats are being cheap with their offers.
Feels like the chance of Nick Caley being the oc is growing and he's bringing the assistant special teams coach of the 6th worst ranked special teams of all time with him. Officially been rejected by one coach for the special teams job and a couple of interviews with guys who have decided to take a job somewhere else. Cheap might be the right word to describe this coaching search.

Reactions: Johnnyduke

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Wouldn’t really look too much into Marquise Williams declining the job, it’s a lateral move and a few days ago when he interviewed he was probably uncertain about his future in Atlanta due to them not having announced a coach yet. He probably has certainty now I would imagine

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Per Brian Hines SB Nation

“Williams has served as Atlanta’s special teams coordinator the past three seasons. This offseason, the Falcons denied him permission to interview with the Giants. New England then requested to interview Williams back on Jan. 15. and was granted the right to do so.

Atlanta hired new head coach Raheem Morris on Thursday, perhaps impacting Williams’ decision.”

Speculation with the possibility of Belichick coming in he was ready to get out of Dodge

With his buddy Morris back he’s staying and therefore declined

I know we all hate the Patriots deep down but I’m not certain he deckined because Mayo is a terrible human, Kraft is cheap and the Patriots are 10 years away from winning 7 games

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

Tony Banks
Trent Dilfer
Elvis Grbac
Chris Redman
Jeff Blake
Kyle Boller

The fact that Trent Dilfer is the second best QB on that list is astounding to me.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Per Brian Hines SB Nation

“Williams has served as Atlanta’s special teams coordinator the past three seasons. This offseason, the Falcons denied him permission to interview with the Giants. New England then requested to interview Williams back on Jan. 15. and was granted the right to do so.

Atlanta hired new head coach Raheem Morris on Thursday, perhaps impacting Williams’ decision.”

Speculation with the possibility of Belichick coming in he was ready to get out of Dodge

With his buddy Morris back he’s staying and therefore declined

I know we all hate the Patriots deep down but I’m not certain he deckined because Mayo is a terrible human, Kraft is cheap and the Patriots are 10 years away from winning 7 games
There can be any number of reasons. It still doesn't look good. Maybe it shouldn't have gotten out but it did. Has to be disappointing to offer a guy the job and get rejected regardless of circumstances.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles

If it happened with anywhere other than ST I’d maybe care a little more, I’m sure they can find anyone stick him in there and be better than Achord.

Get a Shanahan/Mcvay guy at OC the rest I’m less concerned with.

GM whoever it is needs to have a good draft, Kraft needs to get off the wallet for some offensive talent, a new age OC and we’ll be in decent shape.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Covington looks like DC
Keith Jones DL coach? Leduka?
Steve Belichick LB
Brian Belichick Secondary

I’m all in

Reactions: EvilDead

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Covington looks like DC
Keith Jones DL coach? Leduka?
Steve Belichick LB
Brian Belichick Secondary

I’m all in
Run it back baby

But with Mayo as coach I don't even care about the defensive coaches. I will care if we are left with bringing McDaniels back as only option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad