Patriots/NFL 2024 Playoffs Part 2: Pats have 3rd pick. Mayo new HC. Where does Belichick land? Bill O'Brien to leave Patriots for Ohio State OC job

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Run it back baby

But with Mayo as coach I don't even care about the defensive coaches. I will care if we are left with bringing McDaniels back as only option.
boom

This is from Mark Morse who writes a blog on Pats Fan (he’s very good) yesterday- and also Andrew Callahans Pats Interference podcast last night

New Offensive Coordinator’s Interviews revealed.

Jerrod Johnson the QB Coach for the Houston Texans and Thomas Brown the Offensive Coordinator for the Carolina Panthers have been interviewed. Both are minority candidates and because of interviewing two outside minority candidates the team has satisfied the Rooney Rule. Brown is a highly respected coach who aspires to be a Head Coach. He is currently under contract to the Carolina Panthers, and this may be the reason an announcement has not been made. Dave Canales has just been made Head Coach in Carolina and may want to bring in his own staff. If Thomas were to take the OC position it would be a lateral move. Johnson has been credited with the terrific coaching job he did with rookie QB CJ Stroud. If he were to come to New England, he may have to do that again if the Patriots select a QB with their 1st pick, #3 overall.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
There can be any number of reasons. It still doesn't look good. Maybe it shouldn't have gotten out but it did. Has to be disappointing to offer a guy the job and get rejected regardless of circumstances.
I want to see if they spend

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Only won 1
Joe Gibbs won with 3 different stiffs at QB. But regardless, your argument of he only won 1 is akin to Bill only winning games with one quarterback. Every other time he's had a team that didn't have Brady, he's generally had a losing season. 11 years without Brady, 8 losing seasons. That sucks. That doesn't scream GOAT coach. That screams average coach that won when he had special players. Which is why nobody is banging on his door to give him full control of their franchise. His track record without the best quarterback of all time is shit.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I want to see if they spend
They spent a few years ago wildly to try and cover up Bill's shitty drafting, so this dogma that they're unwilling to spend is just bullshit excuses from the Bill apologists. It's not Kraft's fault that Bill spent the money poorly on non game breakers. He did exactly what he always does. Takes average players and has his ego convince him he can coach them up to be great. That only worked when he had Brady. When he hasn't, those average players have stayed average. Weird, right? :naughty:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
They spent a few years ago wildly to try and cover up Bill's shitty drafting, so this dogma that they're unwilling to spend is just bullshit excuses from the Bill apologists. It's not Kraft's fault that Bill spent the money poorly on non game breakers. He did exactly what he always does. Takes average players and has his ego convince him he can coach them up to be great. That only worked when he had Brady. When he hasn't, those average players have stayed average. Weird, right? :naughty:
Yeh agree

Reactions: LSCII

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
What scares me is the below average free agency list this offseason. Wtf are they planning to spend on

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
What I’ll mever understand is how people continue to hammer on BB?

Nope, he hasn‘t won a SB without Brady and his drafting has been bad recently, but, unless you’re delusional, Brady wasn’t winning 6 without him.

Now do they win 2, 3, 4, or 5 without him?

Who knows?

But to revel in seeing a guy, who, if you’re an actual Pats fan had a huge hand in bringing you an unprecedented run of success is just petty and silly, IMO.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
What scares me is the below average free agency list this offseason. Wtf are they planning to spend on
Our own players? Pats have something like 6-7 of the top 50 UFAs this year

Dugger
Uche
Owenwu
Henry
Brown
Borne

A rookie QB is going to get absolutely murdered if Brown and Owenwu leave as expected. Draft MHJ and get Wilson or Fields while you get a rookie to sit.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts

Dugger
Uche
Owenwu
Henry
Brown
Borne

A rookie QB is going to get absolutely murdered if Brown and Owenwu leave as expected. Draft MHJ and get Wilson or Fields while you get a rookie to sit.
I’d hope they resign all of them (except Brown). I’m on the draft the QB early train. Sign a free agent vet to start next season, draft a WR at 34, sign a Calvin Ridley type in free agency.

I’m not opposed to draft MHJ at 3 if the scouts really like McCarthy Nix Penix Jr at 34.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Don't have a problem with Covington as DC, but I can't say I totally understand passing over Steve Belichick when he's basically been co-DC for 4(?) years of a defense that's been pretty competitive.

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020

Dugger
Uche
Owenwu
Henry
Brown
Borne

If they don't re-sign Onwenu they may as well trade down for a haul because no matter who the qb is, they are going to get killed if your two best offenseive linemen aren't back next season and Sidy Sow as good as he was as a rookie once he moved back to guard is your 2nd best offensive lineman.

Between drafting Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels. Trading the 3rd pick for three first rounders and some day 2 picks or just taking Marvin Harrison Jr at 3. I think the Harrison people would have a hard time actually explaining how just sitting at 3 and taking Harrison helps build this team into a contender.

Onwenu should be the priority to re-sign. Tagged if you can't get an extension done. Henry should be back if the new oc likes to make tight ends a big part of the passing game but probably not worth the money if he doesn't. Trent Brown i don't blame them for moving on if they do but he's a very talented headache. Dugger and Uche they should let walk.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
So everyone on the coaching staff with a major job will be doing that job for the first time?

1706398862677.jpeg

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
so you're only a GOAT coach if you win with a JAG QB?
No, but if you're expecting to be considered the GOAT, you can't only have won games with one quarterback. Guys like Reid have roughly the same winning percentages whether it was Mahomes, McNabb, or Alex Smith. Bill's winning percentage with Brady is like 64%. Without Brady he's got a losing record. You don't think that massive swing says something?

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
No, but if you're expecting to be considered the GOAT, you can't only have won games with one quarterback. Guys like Reid have roughly the same winning percentages whether it was Mahomes, McNabb, or Alex Smith. Bill's winning percentage with Brady is like 64%. Without Brady he's got a losing record. You don't think that massive swing says something?

You just always ignore the great defenses put together for that Brady era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad