Patriots/NFL 2024 Off Season - Mac Jones Traded to Jacksonville - QB Jacoby Brissett signs 1-year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
In all fairness, that was always considered a very weak draft class for QBs...

I think Howell is the best of the bunch, if that's saying anything.....
2021 was considered a really strong qb draft and they're all garbage with 1 or 2 average at best.

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Sam Howell is a good pickup for Seattle. If Geno shows signs of not being the guy anymore, Howell showed he has potential. He had the weapons in Washington but a terrible o-line and a guy calling plays that needed time to develop despite not having the line for it.

Playing armchair gm here for a second. Lets say they aren't convinced about the qb still on the board at three. 11, 23, 2025 first round pick and 2025 third round pick for the 3rd overall. Would Olu Fashanu, Brian Thomas and Michael Penix, plus having two first round picks next draft give people a reason to be optimistic?

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
I've been thinking about that Vikings trade, and I'm more or less convinced that it was a precursor to a Patriots/Vikings deal.

We know the Vikings are targeting a quarterback in the draft.

I don't believe that the Vikings are blindly acquiring trade capital without knowing how much it'll cost them to move up. Trades like the one made today aren't done six weeks in advance of the draft for no specific purpose.

According to reports, the Vikings and Patriots had preliminary discussions surrounding the #3 pick at the Senior Bowl. That would mean that Minnesota presumably already knows what it would take to move up from #11 to #3.

Most trade value charts would tell you that #11 and #23 are roughly worth the #4 pick in the draft. But I don't think the Vikings would trade into the #4 spot for two reasons:

1. I don't think they would spend the trade capital to move up to #4 and then just blindly accept whoever happens to be left at that point.​
2. Moving to #4 still leaves open the possibility that someone could move into the #3 spot and take the QB that Minnesota wants.​

Nope... the most logical explanation to me is that the Vikings know roughly what it would take for the Patriots to move off the #3 pick, and they're willing to pay that price.

Last edited:

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Minnesota now with two first rounders (#11, #23), probably looking to trade up.
Something the Pats might be able to take serious advantage of.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I've been thinking about that Vikings trade, and I'm more or less convinced that it was a precursor to a Patriots/Vikings deal.

We know the Vikings are targeting a quarterback in the draft.

I don't believe that the Vikings are blindly acquiring trade capital without knowing how much it'll cost them to move up. Trades like the one made today aren't done six weeks in advance of the draft for no purpose.

According to reports, the Vikings and Patriots had preliminary discussions surrounding the #3 pick at the Senior Bowl. That would mean that Minnesota presumably already knows what it would take to move up from #11 to #3.

Most trade value charts would tell you that #11 and #23 are roughly worth the #4 pick in the draft. But I don't think the Vikings would trade into the #4 spot for two reasons:

1. I don't think they would spend the trade capital to move up to #4 and then just blindly accept whoever happens to be left at that point.​
2. Moving to #4 still leaves open the possibility that someone could move into the #3 spot and take the QB that Minnesota wants.​

Nope... the most logical explanation to me is that the Vikings know roughly what it would take for the Patriots to move off the #3 pick, and they're willing to pay that price.

For the Pats #3, I'd make them pay their two firsts this year and their first next year. That would be a h*ll of a haul.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
For the Pats #3, I'd make them pay their two firsts this year and their first next year. That would be a h*ll of a haul.
I can't think of anything else that would work...

#11 and #23 aren't enough.

After pick #23, the Vikings don't have another pick until the 4th round in 2024

After today, they don't have a 2nd round pick in 2025. And I don't think #11, #23, and a 3rd round pick in 2025 gets it done.

Reactions: bbfan419

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010

As a Rams fan this news was shocking, they looked primed for a serious Super Bowl run this year, the timing was really strange. AD is irreplaceable, a true all time great, I wish him all the best in his retirement, I only wish it was happening next year.

Reactions: sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I can't think of anything else that would work...

#11 and #23 aren't enough.

After pick #23, the Vikings don't have another pick until the 4th round in 2024

After today, they don't have a 2nd round pick in 2025. And I don't think #11, #23, and a 3rd round pick in 2025 gets it done.

I’m not arguing with your take on things at all because I agree.

But there’s a way to look at giving up 3 first rounders for one as being crazy, provided the receiving team hits a home rune with each pick.

tvillewr4

Jan 2, 2012
Illinois
Does it worry anyone else that OConnell, an offensive guy, is willing to potentially give up three first rounders to draft one of the QBs that we dont believe in. This is the kind of stuff that worries me about all the in house replacements/hires

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
If Minnesota offers 11,23, and the 2025 1st that might be too good to pass up. Especially if you’re not all in on who’s going to be the QB there at 3. I mean if you’re 100% convinced Maye or Daniels is the guy then take them. But any doubts either draft Harrison or make a trade like this.

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Does it worry anyone else that OConnell, an offensive guy, is willing to potentially give up three first rounders to draft one of the QBs that we dont believe in. This is the kind of stuff that worries me about all the in house replacements/hires
The head coach and gm's seats are a little warmer than you would think. Maybe less for O'Connell than Adofo-Mensah but the Vikings went 3-6 without Kirk Cousins this season, one of those wins was a game they won 3-0. Their current starting qb for next season is Sam Darnold. Their gm has made 16 picks in the last two drafts, and only one has been great.

They might not be the first team that comes to mind but they're one of the more desperate teams in the league after Cousins went to Atlanta. Make an aggressive push up the board and don't develop that qb, then the hc and gm might get fired but the lack of future picks after being aggressive isn't their problem and just taking whoever falls to you might cost them their jobs as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad