• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Man I really wonder what the Avs do with Rantanen if he has a lack luster post season and the Avs fail to win the cup.

As it currently stands he’s had an awful regular season from an effort standpoint and while he’s still racking up the points his overall play has dropped off substantially outside of the odd game. If he can step it up in playoffs all is forgiven, but if he puts out a subpar post season I strongly wonder if CMac considers moving. Something I wouldn’t have thought before this trade deadline.
The price of his next contract terrifies me.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012

Avalanche​

Has GM Chris MacFarland pulled off another version of the deadline that preceded the Cup run two years ago? Perhaps. The Avs sure hope it has the same impact.

They added a pair of bottom-six forwards in Yakov Trenin and Brandon Duhaime, but the headliners were center Casey Mittelstadt and defenseman Sean Walker.

The aim in the Duhaime and Trenin additions was to flesh out the bottom six enough that head coach Jared Bednar can use both lines with equal comfort, matchup-wise and minutes-wise — to have two third lines, not a third and a fourth. You need the depth to pull that off.

“Duhaime is a heavy body. He’s a straight-line, good skater, which obviously fits how we like to do things,” MacFarland told The Athletic on Saturday. “And he’s a gamer. And that was an attraction for us, to put a guy in our lineup that can skate with some weight behind it.

“Trenin is a big guy with decent hands. A really good checking forward, good penalty-kill guy. Just a really useful piece.”

Again, the headline-grabbers were the Buffalo Sabres and Philadelphia Flyers trades, though. Those stemmed from a conclusion the Avs front office made earlier that Ryan Johansen, acquired last summer, wasn’t cutting it as the second-line center, a spot that’s been difficult to replace since Nazem Kadri was lost to free agency.

“It wasn’t working,” MacFarland said of the Johansen experiment. “And the 2C spot demanded attention to try and find a solution.”

Though MacFarland obviously couldn’t comment on it, he tried on Elias Lindholm in late January before the Calgary Flames dealt him to Vancouver.

So there were certainly a few targets. But the hope was to find a second-line center who wasn’t a rental. That meant a hockey deal, a more difficult proposition.

“It was a tricky deal,” MacFarland said of the second-line center search. It also meant finding a way to jettison Johansen’s contract, which runs through next season at a $4 million cap hit, whether in the same deal or a separate one.

“We had a bunch of different options, to be honest with you, but they all kind of had different secondary alternatives,” MacFarland said. “The one that we were able to get across the finish line was with Danny Briere and the Flyers. They did a great job and got a first-round pick out of it. We were the beneficiaries of being able to bring in Walker, whom we like a lot, on an expiring deal. So that made the math work.”

And again, MacFarland could not comment on this, but league sources confirm he had talked with Calgary about a similar package — a first-round pick and Johansen — for Chris Tanev. Calgary wasn’t interested in taking on the Johansen contract, and the Flames liked the Stars’ offer.

When the Avs got Johansen off the books and a top-four defenseman in Walker secured, they turned to finalizing an exciting hockey deal: blueliner Bowen Byram to the Sabres for Mittelstadt.

We are so, so much better with Walker and Mitts than we would have been with Lindholm and Tanev. Glad it worked out the way it did

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Man I really wonder what the Avs do with Rantanen if he has a lack luster post season and the Avs fail to win the cup.

As it currently stands he’s had an awful regular season from an effort standpoint and while he’s still racking up the points his overall play has dropped off substantially outside of the odd game. If he can step it up in playoffs all is forgiven, but if he puts out a subpar post season I strongly wonder if CMac considers moving. Something I wouldn’t have thought before this trade deadline.

Has Rantanen ever had a disappointing postseason? I wouldn’t count on it.

Reactions: Vk1ing

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
David Amber on the Jeff Marek show (talking about the return that Pittsburgh got for Guentzel) : "they got a good haul, I think they did well - now I don't know any of those prospects..."

Too many of these idiots - giving their opinions when they mean NOTHING.

Just like SOOOOOO many people thinking a 'struggling' Mittlestadt vs '4th overall' Byram is a massive home-run for Buffalo - like it's 2022 -> without having seen either guy play for the last 2 years. There are a metric ton of those people.

Byram for Mitts was a good trade for both sides.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
David Amber on the Jeff Marek show (talking about the return that Pittsburgh got for Guentzel) : "they got a good haul, I think they did well - now I don't know any of those prospects..."

Too many of these idiots - giving their opinions when they mean NOTHING.

Just like SOOOOOO many people thinking a 'struggling' Mittlestadt vs '4th overall' Byram is a massive home-run for Buffalo - like it's 2022 -> without having seen either guy play for the last 2 years. There are a metric ton of those people.

Byram for Mitts was a good trade for both sides.
Yeah agree. I don't think you can ask for a better hockey trade than Mitts for Byram for both team. The only way it could be better for BUF is if Byram was a RHD.

Who cares if Byram becomes better than Mitts if it helps us a lot more towards getting another Cup.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Yeah agree. I don't think you can ask for a better hockey trade than Mitts for Byram for both team. The only way it could be better for BUF is if Byram was a RHD.

Who cares if Byram becomes better than Mitts if it helps us a lot more towards getting another Cup.

Either way sounds like a trade had to be made and now was the best time.

Hopefully Mitts.can do the job.

It's of some concern now if one of Toews or Girard get hurt

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I'm a firm believer Rants brings the extra effort come playoff time.
That's the only thing I can think of at this point. It's crazy to think he's in the top 10 of scoring based on his effort level alone. Gotta get him going like Nuke. He'd be the best player in the league.

Rants steps it up in the playoffs. However, I honestly think they should look at trading him this summer. Get a boat load!
Keep Drouin and other pieces acquired. Get kings ransom.

Reactions: cinchronicity

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Has anyone run some potential rosters with some of the new guys for next year?

Who can we afford to keep?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
We are so, so much better with Walker and Mitts than we would have been with Lindholm and Tanev. Glad it worked out the way it did

Feels like Byram would be part of that roster too, unless they still made the Mittelsdadt trade, which is possible.

Neither Lindholm or Tanev would have cost Bo though, judging by the returns.

So the bottom 4 would be:

G/Bo - Manson
Bo/G - Tanev

Instead of:

G - Manson
JJ - Walker

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Very bare roster depth if Landeskog comes back next season. Lots of options if he LTIRetires.
If Landy comes back, assuming a 87.7 million cap, they have 11.5 million with 13 rostered. Most teams dont run under a 22 player roster, so thats 11.5 million to spend on 9 players. If Mitts signs for 6 million, which seems to be about what I'd expect, you would have 5.5 million for 8 players.

Obviously the math tells you that won't work. 1 or more players will have to be traded.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
If Landy comes back, assuming a 87.7 million cap, they have 11.5 million with 13 rostered. Most teams dont run under a 22 player roster, so thats 11.5 million to spend on 9 players. If Mitts signs for 6 million, which seems to be about what I'd expect, you would have 5.5 million for 8 players.

Obviously the math tells you that won't work. 1 or more players will have to be traded.
Manson might have to get swapped with Malinski or Behrens full time to save 3.5 or so million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad