Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Entry Draft

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
I like Eiserman, just very 1 dimensional…. I do think we need a dmen much more than a forward(unless we win lottery, then we happily take celebrini).

As for locks to win a Norris…. Dmen are much harder to predict. I think a top for floor, top pair ceiling is perfect for us.

I won’t be surprised if mintyukov is in the running for a Norris at some point in his career
Have you seen this quote from Eiserman? I would put him on the do not draft list if he really thinks his 200 foot game is perfect.

“I think I have a pretty well-rounded game, it just gets overlooked because of how much I score. It’s almost one of those things where the scoring rates work against you,” Eiserman said. “Obviously the No. 1 thing I do is score, but I think I pass the puck very well and that’s a big part of my game. And my 200-foot game from last year has gotten really good. My coaches are saying that it’s definitely not a problem anymore and it’s perfect.”

• Haha
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
I like Eiserman, just very 1 dimensional…. I do think we need a dmen much more than a forward(unless we win lottery, then we happily take celebrini).

As for locks to win a Norris…. Dmen are much harder to predict. I think a top for floor, top pair ceiling is perfect for us.

I won’t be surprised if mintyukov is in the running for a Norris at some point in his career

Obviously, you should take the BPA on your board if you're drafting where we are, but I think the Gauthier trade completely changed the calculus on the Eiserman conversation. No longer a true necessity, although you can't have enough guys who can put the puck in the net at an above-average rate.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
The Russian thing is overblown. Even if he takes a few extra years to arrive, so what? It'll happen at some point. Selanne didn't make his NHL debut until he was 22, I'm sure Jets fans thought he was worth the wait. Hey if the timing is right, his arrival comes after you've already built a playoff team, and he pushes you to another level.

This year the calculus for Demidov is going to be very different from MM last year. If you're a team sitting there in the top 5 and the dmen you're left with are somewhat questionable and the other forward options less dynamic, it's totally justifiable to roll the dice on a Russian who might take longer to arrive. Whereas last year it would have been unconscionable to take that same dice roll when you had two #1OA caliber options sitting there instead.
I agree, if he’s truly BPA where we pick we should absolutely take him and not settle for a lesser Dman just because he’ll be in Russia next year. He could potentially come over right when we are turning the corner, and be one of those guys on an ELC that can put you over the top once your true window for contention opens.

Reactions: tomd

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Pat will draft some very specific 6'5 role player or something with our top pick since there are no clear favorites :laugh:

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I never understood why other than he was big and had a solid skill set…. I know your hoping for the next hedman but he’s a long way from that
People fell in love with the offense to start the year. I don’t care about the offense but he was playing 20 minutes a night in the KHL. His toi has fallen a lot recently though.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
People fell in love with the offense to start the year. I don’t care about the offense but he was playing 20 minutes a night in the KHL. His toi has fallen a lot recently though.
I think he’s a great pick in the 10-20 range…. But I feel like a lot of question marks in top 5…. Some team will fall in love with his size

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Yeah for me it was just the overall unicorn factor of already playing top 4 mins in the KHL at 17 (rather unheard of) and of course the allure of being 6'7, legitimately mean but also quite mobile. The offense was sort of just a bonus, he doesn't have the look of an offensive stud.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I think Hedman was always a weird comp for Silayev, but I can see where it came from due to the early offense this season. I feel like Chara is the better comp in terms of what teams are hoping for, but there's always the chance he's Jared Cowen or Erik Gudbranson with two more inches of height and a bit better skating.

I think Silayev is a worthwhile pick in the 10-15 range, but is tough to take a chance on earlier than that.

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I really dont want Parekh. I truly feel like a #2 all around defensemen is a better fit for the Ducks futures then an Eric Karlsson. Someone has to play defense and PK again the top lines.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Not really interested at all in Yakemchuk, Silayev, Lindstrom, or Eiserman. I would be pretty disappointed if we came out of this draft (and this crappy season) with one of those guys. Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov, Dickinson, these are the guys I want us to be targeting

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Not really interested at all in Yakemchuk, Silayev, Lindstrom, or Eiserman. I would be pretty disappointed if we came out of this draft (and this crappy season) with one of those guys. Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov, Dickinson, these are the guys I want us to be targeting
I like your top 4 but I would include Lindstrom to round out the top 5. Given that the Ducks have a 30% chance of drafting 5th right now, it's probably a good idea to be thinking in top 5 terms. Who would your 5th player be?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

5 points in 4 Liiga playoff games, including three primary assists in this game.

Love the effort to make this goal happen. Despite comments around here to the contrary, I don't think PV would dismiss a prospect just for being a bit undersized - if the guy consistently gets after it the way Helenius does as a 17 year old in a men's league.

I understand there is higher ceiling to dream on with a few other guys but Helenius just seems like he's such a safe bet to be a quality NHL player. He does a bit of everything (including being a strong faceoff guy already), and is already producing against pretty high quality competition. If he happened to be two or three inches taller, he'd be the consensus #2 behind Celebrini in this draft. He's a few weeks shy of turning 18, so at 5'11 181 he can still get a bit closer to average. Everything else about his game is above average.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I like your top 4 but I would include Lindstrom to round out the top 5. Given that the Ducks have a 30% chance of drafting 5th right now, it's probably a good idea to be thinking in top 5 terms. Who would your 5th player be?
I had the same thought as I was typing the post. It would probably be Yakemchuk because while I’m not high on any of them I think if he were to hit it would make us the best overall team but I’d also be fine with just trusting that the scouts took the best guy

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I had the same thought as I was typing the post. It would probably be Yakemchuk because while I’m not high on any of them I think if he were to hit it would make us the best overall team but I’d also be fine with just trusting that the scouts took the best guy
Funny thing is that unless the Ducks win the Celebrini lottery, there will be just as much varied discussion on HF even once we know whether the Ducks are picking 2nd or 5th or anywhere in between. Crazy draft and totally unpredictable.

Reactions: lwvs84

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Funny thing is that unless the Ducks win the Celebrini lottery, there will be just as much varied discussion on HF even once we know whether the Ducks are picking 2nd or 5th or anywhere in between. Crazy draft and totally unpredictable.

Definitely can see the comparisons to McTavish's draft year, so many different directions we could go.

Reactions: tomd

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

5 points in 4 Liiga playoff games, including three primary assists in this game.

Love the effort to make this goal happen. Despite comments around here to the contrary, I don't think PV would dismiss a prospect just for being a bit undersized - if the guy consistently gets after it the way Helenius does as a 17 year old in a men's league.

I understand there is higher ceiling to dream on with a few other guys but Helenius just seems like he's such a safe bet to be a quality NHL player. He does a bit of everything (including being a strong faceoff guy already), and is already producing against pretty high quality competition. If he happened to be two or three inches taller, he'd be the consensus #2 behind Celebrini in this draft. He's a few weeks shy of turning 18, so at 5'11 181 he can still get a bit closer to average. Everything else about his game is above average.

I personally don't buy into the "PV will only draft 6 foot and above" narrative. Whats the difference between 5'11 180 and 6'1 170 like Terrance and Pitre are (if anyone says "2 inches and 10 lbs" I will cut you).

I just doubt his upside. His .71 PPG is good for 5th all time for draft eligible in Liiga. Looking at the last 20 years he is 4th and here is what the top 10 looks like:
Aleksander Barkov (C)
Mikael Granlund (C/RW)
Kaapo Kakko (RW)
Konsta Helenius (C/RW)
Patrik Laine (LW/RW)
Artturi Lehkonen (LW)
Joel Armia (RW)
Jesperi Kotkaniemi (C/LW)
Jesse Puljujärvi (RW)
Anton Lundell (C)

Not exactly murderer's row. 2 top line forwards and 1 top 6 forward. Lots of middle 6 forwards which is basically what I expect Helenius would end up as. If we were drafting closer to 10 I would feel way better. But in the top 5 you need to get someone with upside.

Definitely can see the comparisons to McTavish's draft year, so many different directions we could go.
100%. What makes it even crazier is that year was due to the pandemic. This year is actually just lacking that typical 2-3 tier we see in most drafts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad