Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Entry Draft (Ducks pick #3, They didn’t drop! OMG It’s a Miracle!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Levshunov: Poor IQ
Dickinson: Low ceiling
Buium: Jack of all trades master of none
Yakemchuk: Poor decision making
Parekh: No defense and small
Silayev: Poor offense

They all have their faults but it's rare to draft a complete prospect
The above is why I'm starting to lean towards Demidov...

Reactions: Dryish

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Well I agree...the calvary is not coming to the rescue with this year's draft unless your team is drafting #1.
The draft is fine lol. There are good players in every draft, you just have to trust your scouts to make the right choice. Shit, 2012 probably had the worst top 10 ever and we still walked out with Lindholm.

Compare this draft to 2021. You could do the same thing there and pick apart every player taken in the top 10 and that top 10 looks really really good 3 seasons out (minus Boucher).

I expect the Ducks to get a McTavish level player.

Reactions: lwvs84

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
The draft is fine lol. There are good players in every draft, you just have to trust your scouts to make the right choice. Shit, 2012 probably had the worst top 10 ever and we still walked out with Lindholm.

Compare this draft to 2021. You could do the same thing there and pick apart every player taken in the top 10 and that top 10 looks really really good 3 seasons out (minus Boucher).

I expect the Ducks to get a McTavish level player.
This draft has a lot more bust potential at every step of the way outside of Celebrini IMO. I just hope PV and staff don't fixate on size and position with that top 5 pick. Going to be very interesting to see where the final rankings fall.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
This draft has a lot more bust potential at every step of the way outside of Celebrini IMO. I just hope PV and staff don't fixate on size and position with that top 5 pick. Going to be very interesting to see where the final rankings fall.
Obviously youre entitled to your opinion, but IDK how you could get there.

Outside of Power, Beniers, McTavish and maybe Guenther the rest of the top 10 had pretty low floors.

Hughes was seen as most to be worse defensively then any of the top defensemen this year outside of Parekh.
Johnson was seen as a 1-way forward that shined in a lower league or a stacked team.
Edvinsson was criticized for his decision making.
Eklund probably had the most bust potential with his size and seen as a 1-way player.
Clarke's skating reportedly had some scouts put him on the DND list.

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I've been thinking this for awhile. The potential so high with this guy. High end skills you dont see in a dude his size, including a RH bomb. Pretty mean already, but looks like he could be a monster someday.... just what this core needs. Could see them picking him at 3-4 even if he continues to be ranked 10+ too.
Yeah. Its not just the shot itself, its the fact that teams will respect the shot from the point to know its a legit threat to go in and not a muffin shot. I remember when the Ducks faced Weber era Preds in 2016 playoffs that Hazy on the broadcast talked about whether the Ducks should not try to block Weber's shots and just let Gibson get a better view of it, that and the damage his shot does to players blocking it. Weber was mean too and did big damage with his hits.

If Carlsson is the modern Getzlaf, than perhaps Yakemchuck is the modern Weber, upgraded skating ability.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
This draft is looking like it's going to be unusually entertaining after the first pick, seems like #2-10 or so are almost interchangeable at this point. Is this the draft high picks are moved around?

Celli aside, can't see the Ducks going with a forward unless they love... Lindstrom, Eiserman? Doubt that and I can't see them too interested in an all offense wing playing in Russia. I just don't see forwards that would be as impactful as the defenseman prospects available.

Good news is they should get the first or second off the board, so I'm interested in which Dman Madden and co think is the best of the bunch. Easy to expect they'd prioritize size, physicality and RH. Which is why I can see Yakemchuk or Lev as the primary targets... maybe they think Buium is the next Fox? Parekh the next Erik Karlsson? Dickinson has 2-way #1 talent? Silayev is a Chara? Will be interesting to see, Im betting we'll all probably have different favorites for the top pick 3 months from now.

Reactions: eaterfan and lwvs84

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I trust the Ducks drafting in the top 10. When just looking at players in the top 10, pretty much everyone they've picked would likely be re-picked at or higher than they went (Drysdale is hard to say because of injuries, McTavish draft was tough because of Covid). Zegras and Minty would most likely be taken before 9/10 and Carlsson over Fantilli isn't nearly the surprise it was going into draft day.

Hopefully the Ducks jump from 3 to 1 this year, but even if they do their annual drop 1 spot, there's a chance that one of the top 2 non-Celebrini's on their list is still there.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

That poor IQ report was given after Lev's second game in the NCAA as a rookie as a top pairing D by someone outside usual scouting media pundits on Youtube such as Elite Prospects or The Hockey Writers. That reporting on his second game as an NCAA'er has stuck with many on this board and they don't even care if there has been improvement in his game such as leading the team in scoring and +/- rating by +8. Who even cares to look at Central Scouting's mid-term ranking that has Lev as the #2 ranked prospect for the NA list as a sign of improvement?

Here's a podcast interviewing Dan Marr, VP, Central Scouting on Jan 16th, 2024

I recall the 2021 draft where many posters were stuck on McTavish's D-1 scouting report and didn't look at this NL-B and WJC-18 productions as part of the scouting that showed vast improvement in McTavish's overall game. Hell, over 85% of the scouting media kept using the D-1 scouting report up until days before the draft where they all bumped up McTavish significantly.

Things keep repeating themselves.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
That poor IQ report was given after Lev's second game in the NCAA as a rookie as a top pairing D by someone outside usual scouting media pundits on Youtube such as Elite Prospects or The Hockey Writers. That reporting on his second game as an NCAA'er has stuck with many on this board and they don't even care if there has been improvement in his game such as leading the team in scoring and +/- rating by +8. Who even cares to look at Central Scouting's mid-term ranking that has Lev as the #2 ranked prospect for the NA list as a sign of improvement?

Here's a podcast interviewing Dan Marr, VP, Central Scouting on Jan 16th, 2024

I recall the 2021 draft where many posters were stuck on McTavish's D-1 scouting report and didn't look at this NL-B and WJC-18 productions as part of the scouting that showed vast improvement in McTavish's overall game. Hell, over 85% of the scouting media kept using the D-1 scouting report up until days before the draft where they all bumped up McTavish significantly.

Things keep repeating themselves.

I've watched a few complete game shift by shift videos and the size and athletic ability is all there, but I see too many bad decisions all over the ice. He has some creative ideas but often poorly executes them and forces plays that arent there. I just see too many red flags to value him as a top D. Maybe some of that improves as he matures as a player, but I'd rather invest in a guy that makes better decisions... of course this is just my opinion. I'll continue to to watch more but so far I'm left worried Lev isnt the guy

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
For guys that can play both sides of the ice, I wonder how often they focus more on the offensive side than the defensive. Offense usually is gets players drafted higher (unless they are an absolute liability on their side). Minty's big knock was about the defensive side and how that would translate, wasn't it? He seems to be doing fine and even stands out (in a positive way) defensively a lot. It might make sense that some of the guys that aren't elite at both ends focus on being good enough defensively and use more energy on offense before being drafted, then work on the defensive side of their game.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Lev is fascinating because of how meteoric the rise has been. Isn’t the line something like 2 years ago, he was playing in the 2nd division of Belarusian hockey?

I believe he’ll get there, but I also think he’s a bit of a project where it might take a couple additional seasons of maturity. That might be a turn off to someone who can make an immediate impact with a top 5 pick

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I've watched a few complete game shift by shift videos and the size and athletic ability is all there, but I see too many bad decisions all over the ice. He has some creative ideas but often poorly executes them and forces plays that arent there. I just see too many red flags to value him as a top D. Maybe some of that improves as he matures as a player, but I'd rather invest in a guy that makes better decisions... of course this is just my opinion. I'll continue to to watch more but so far I'm left worried Lev isnt the guy

Wow. I watched the video you provided and I didn't notice "too many bad decisions all over the ice". Lev is usually cautious when on the D-zone playing deep if he's not diving down offensively, but can fly to be F3. Thing is that he flies both ways in the same shift, which he did a few times in the game. He's got breakout passes from deep in the Dzone and into the neutral zone. He's got no problem hanging at the blueline or diving down. His shots do make it to the goalie, as one of his shots became a rebound goal for a teammate.

Lev had one risky cross-ice pass at the Ozone blueline, but it wasn't intercepted. He lost the handled of the puck at the Ozone blueline. There was one rim around the boards behind his net, but there were no Spartan forwards coming back for help (where have we heard this before... cough, Ducks, cough). Those are the only three instances I recall out of the 21:36 video you shared.

Anyhow, here's Wheeler's top-64. Lev is ranked #2 overall.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I saw plenty that concerned me in that video, but I wont argue, I'm sure we all have different ways and expectations watching a player; I watch a guy like Buium and appreciate the decisions he makes, others like Lev just leave me wondering if they have the elite IQ you want from a top pairing d-man. This is of course just my opinion as of now, maybe a couple other viewings might skew my view

Reactions: Kalv

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019

When drafting we need to identify if a players flaws are a product of their team and position, which would disappear on another team or something that can be corrected with coaching. If it cant then you need to see if their positive traits can overcome the flaws.

Levshunov: its said that he is trying to apply NHL plays where his team mates arent on the same page so you could say he can overcome his issues.
Dickinson: I think can be that #1D he has all of the necessary traits and no massive issues
Buium: Without an elite trait he is a risk to be average at NHL level
Yakemchuk: I'm hoping his issues are more around him trying to do too much offensively. He has the core skills you want so this is correctable but depends on his intelligence and willingness.
Parekh: Risky as small players that need to learn defense can have a hard time. He is very intelligent so it will come down to whether his body can handle the bigger players.
Silayev: Cant really expect him to shine offensively in the KHL. Also playing his offside so he could have some potential there. However he will be developing in the KHL so unlikely he suddenly develops offense at NHL level.

Levshunov and Dickinson I think are safest bets to be stars at NHL level. Yakemchuk can hopefully be coached. Parekh & Buium are risky. Silayev you get what you get.

I would grab Levshunov, Dickinson or Yakemchuk at the draft.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Lev is fascinating because of how meteoric the rise has been. Isn’t the line something like 2 years ago, he was playing in the 2nd division of Belarusian hockey?

I believe he’ll get there, but I also think he’s a bit of a project where it might take a couple additional seasons of maturity. That might be a turn off to someone who can make an immediate impact with a top 5 pick

To be fair, last year's draft class had a generational talent and two #1 overalls in any other draft, but none of them have changed the fortunes of their respective teams. Chicago grabbed Bedard at 1, Ducks snagged Carlsson at 2, and Columbus took Fantilli at 3 last year.

This year's record as of 3-24-24.

NHL record after 71 Duck games.png

All three teams remained at the bottom. A top-5 prospect staying an extra year in their respective league(s) won't make a significant difference since most teams in the bottom-5 are rebuild teams. It's going to take a lot more more than a top-5 draftee to make an immediate impact for a team to make a significant bounce. If Bedard can't lift the Hawks up higher, then chances are neither will this year's top-5.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I saw plenty that concerned me in that video, but I wont argue, I'm sure we all have different ways and expectations watching a player; I watch a guy like Buium and appreciate the decisions he makes, others like Lev just leave me wondering if they have the elite IQ you want from a top pairing d-man. This is of course just my opinion as of now, maybe a couple other viewings might skew my view

Meh I’ve watched him a lot…. And the things that excite me about him outweigh any concerns by a large margin

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Think you're undervaluing Buium if you think he's the product of his team. He was USA's youngest player last U20 WJC and ended the tourney on the top pairing.
You are right that he isnt so much a product of his team. That is Parekh.

He doesnt have an elite trait which can hold him back. He isnt as risky as other picks but there are options that are more likely to hit than him.

eaterfan

Nov 29, 2023
I didn't see this posted yet... Scott Wheeler's top 64 prospects.

Basically it's Celebrini in tier 1 and then 11 guys in tier 2. Of those, 5 are defensemen. Those 5 he likes better than any D in last year's draft.

He's higher on Eiserman than most, having him at 4 overall.

If you believe the Ducks need a potential top pairing D to offset the loss of Drysdale, this is the year to do it. Hopefully, the Ducks aren't picking this high again for awhile. There isn't anyone in this draft who is a lock to be a Norris Trophy winner. They all have some question marks, but a lot of guys have high ceilings and fewer questions than most D prospects, especially the later in the draft you get.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I didn't see this posted yet... Scott Wheeler's top 64 prospects.

Basically it's Celebrini in tier 1 and then 11 guys in tier 2. Of those, 5 are defensemen. Those 5 he likes better than any D in last year's draft.

He's higher on Eiserman than most, having him at 4 overall.

If you believe the Ducks need a potential top pairing D to offset the loss of Drysdale, this is the year to do it. Hopefully, the Ducks aren't picking this high again for awhile. There isn't anyone in this draft who is a lock to be a Norris Trophy winner. They all have some question marks, but a lot of guys have high ceilings and fewer questions than most D prospects, especially the later in the draft you get.
I like Eiserman, just very 1 dimensional…. I do think we need a dmen much more than a forward(unless we win lottery, then we happily take celebrini).

As for locks to win a Norris…. Dmen are much harder to predict. I think a top for floor, top pair ceiling is perfect for us.

I won’t be surprised if mintyukov is in the running for a Norris at some point in his career

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
We can all fantasize about Celebrini and would be an amazing addition if we win the lottery but we could have potentially his equivalent in Demidov as a wonderful consolation if everyone can get over the whole Russian factor.

The Russian thing is overblown. Even if he takes a few extra years to arrive, so what? It'll happen at some point. Selanne didn't make his NHL debut until he was 22, I'm sure Jets fans thought he was worth the wait. Hey if the timing is right, his arrival comes after you've already built a playoff team, and he pushes you to another level.

This year the calculus for Demidov is going to be very different from MM last year. If you're a team sitting there in the top 5 and the dmen you're left with are somewhat questionable and the other forward options less dynamic, it's totally justifiable to roll the dice on a Russian who might take longer to arrive. Whereas last year it would have been unconscionable to take that same dice roll when you had two #1OA caliber options sitting there instead.

Reactions: tomd

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Aren't Bob and The Boys on record as saying that favored Sanderson in that draft, who basically is a top-pairing level defenseman already?

Also, to answer your previous question, the answer is no unless you're talking a package for a Tkachuk/Pettersson-level player, then I'm listening.
Yes I remember that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad