Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Entry Draft (Ducks pick #3, They didn’t drop! OMG It’s a Miracle!)

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If we get Lev id love to try to move up our late first and 2nd round pick and get another winger. If we get Celebrini I’d love to try to move up and get one of the good looking RHDs. At this point Id lose trade value to get quality over quantity.
Ya we have enough assets we could move up the oilers pick(or if were feeling really risky our 2nd) to get a Greentree/MBN or Hemming.... which would all be great adds for us.

I hope we find a way to grab 1 of these guys(on top of celebrini/levshunov/dickinson or yakemchuk)
MBN
Iginla
Hemming
Greentree
Sennecke

Last edited:

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
For anaheim specifically, I would shift the positions around a bit differently if I’m just ranking them in general Demidov would definitely enter the mix.

I just don’t really expect ANA to pursue Demidov, wouldn’t mind being wrong on that.
I'm starting to come around to the idea that taking Demidov may be the right pick for the Ducks.

Reactions: GunnarStahl

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Kinda sums up my feelings on him, he’s fine but I think if a team picking top 5 will hate that pick…. And top 10 would be meh about it.

I'm starting to come around to the idea that taking Demidov may be the right pick for the Ducks.
Depending how the lottery falls, idk that he’s even there at our pick, if sharks done win lotto, I could see them taking demidov at 2 or 3

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Depending how the lottery falls, idk that he’s even there at our pick, if sharks done win lotto, I could see them taking demidov at 2 or 3
I'm assuming the Ducks will be picking 4 or 5 and that Celebrini, Levshunov, and (probably) Lindstrom go top 3. Demidov could go anywhere from 2-8. I think the Ducks just need an offensive gamebreaker and I'm less confident about the defensemen in this draft reaching their potential. This would be a good year to win the lottery!

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Kinda sums up my feelings on him, he’s fine but I think if a team picking top 5 will hate that pick…. And top 10 would be meh about it.

Sharks just fired their Russian scout, claimed he wasn’t doing his work. Probably no Russians taken from them this year.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I remember one of Elite Prospect's group think rankings for the 2023 draft and everyone except Lassi had liked Fantilli at #2. Lassi is one of EP's European scouts and was high on Carlsson. David St. Louis, one of EP's top scouts, didn't think Carlsson was a top 2 pick until very late. Guess the Fantilli hype succumbed the EP group except for Lassi.

Reactions: Kalv

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Ngl I keep fantasizing about winning the lottery and getting Celebrini. Forward depth would be insane

Gauthier-Carlsson-Terry
Killorn-Mac-Celebrini
Vatrano-Zegras-Strome
Johnston-Lundestrom-Leason

Reactions: lwvs84 and Kalv

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California
We can all fantasize about Celebrini and would be an amazing addition if we win the lottery but we could have potentially his equivalent in Demidov as a wonderful consolation if everyone can get over the whole Russian factor.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
I bet Celebrini will be going to Pittsburgh but it is still nice to imagine getting him

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
We can all fantasize about Celebrini and would be an amazing addition if we win the lottery but we could have potentially his equivalent in Demidov as a wonderful consolation if everyone can get over the whole Russian factor.
I'm more worried about the Duck organization's drafting philosophy than I am about the Russian factor.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Ngl I keep fantasizing about winning the lottery and getting Celebrini. Forward depth would be insane

Gauthier-Carlsson-Terry
Killorn-Mac-Celebrini
Vatrano-Zegras-Strome
Johnston-Lundestrom-Leason

I wouldn't mind winning the lottery for #2 overall and securing a potential top-pairing RD to give the org a more balanced team.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I wouldn't mind winning the lottery for #2 overall and securing a potential top-pairing RD to give the org a more balanced team.
Either is good

Celebrini a game changing forward
2nd pick just about guarantees we’ll get our favorite dmen in the draft…. And there are a number of dmen that are good fits(tho at 2 I think it’s between levshunov and Dickinson)

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I really can see him being our pick

I've been thinking this for awhile. The potential so high with this guy. High end skills you dont see in a dude his size, including a RH bomb. Pretty mean already, but looks like he could be a monster someday.... just what this core needs. Could see them picking him at 3-4 even if he continues to be ranked 10+ too.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I really can see him being our pick

Here is what scares me about Yakemchuk:

1. Plus/Minus rating. He's at -6 rating.

The team high is +29. A d-man teammate that's 2024 draft eligible, Dax Williams, is a +18 rating. Central Scouting (NA) has ranked Dax #211. There are a total of four other defensemen teammates who have a positive rating compared to Yakemchuck.

Yakemchuk is 6'3, 194 lbs, and reported to have great skating skills. So why is he in the negatives? With 71 points generated and second on the team in scoring, why does he have a negative rating?

Yakemchuk, Stats (Mar 25, 24).png

Tulk is a 5'9 forward at 19 years old. Kindel is 16 years old at 5'10. Muranov is a 19-year old forward, standing at 6'2.

Yakemchuk's detail to defense isn't on the same level of a priority as his offense. This is Yakemchuk's third season in the WHL with Calgary. He hasn't been a positive player at all during his tenure there.

2. PIM's are far too high.

From the image above, Yakemchuk has 120 PIMs. That's 5th overall in the WHL, where the high is 13 PIMs. A top-4D man cannot spend that exorbitant amount of time in the sin bin.

========

Those two factors don't scream top-5 pick to me. Yakemchuk is a great scoring d-man with great size and skating. Which is why he's projected outside the top-10 in some mock drafts.

Reactions: ScarTroy

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Based on the offense I do find all three righties in the draft very interesting. Levshunov seems like the real deal but honestly I really wonder what the issues with Dickinson, Buium, Yakemchuk and Parekh are in detail. All of them alone look extremely interesting by themselfs.

While Yakemchuk is -6 on 71 points, Parekh is +39 (team leading) on 96 points (also team leading by 33 pts). Buium is also teamleading +32 on 48 points. Dickinson is also teamleading with +56.

That being said those are insane numbers each. Wonder who will translate the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalv

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Here is what scares me about Yakemchuk:

1. Plus/Minus rating. He's at -6 rating.

The team high is +29. A d-man teammate that's 2024 draft eligible, Dax Williams, is a +18 rating. Central Scouting (NA) has ranked Dax #211. There are a total of four other defensemen teammates who have a positive rating compared to Yakemchuck.

Yakemchuk is 6'3, 194 lbs, and reported to have great skating skills. So why is he in the negatives? With 71 points generated and second on the team in scoring, why does he have a negative rating?

View attachment 841223

Tulk is a 5'9 forward at 19 years old. Kindel is 16 years old at 5'10. Muranov is a 19-year old forward, standing at 6'2.

Yakemchuk's detail to defense isn't on the same level of a priority as his offense. This is Yakemchuk's third season in the WHL with Calgary. He hasn't been a positive player at all during his tenure there.

2. PIM's are far too high.

From the image above, Yakemchuk has 120 PIMs. That's 5th overall in the WHL, where the high is 13 PIMs. A top-4D man cannot spend that exorbitant amount of time in the sin bin.

========

Those two factors don't scream top-5 pick to me. Yakemchuk is a great scoring d-man with great size and skating. Which is why he's projected outside the top-10 in some mock drafts.
With those penalty minutes he will fit right in

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Based on the offense I do find all three righties in the draft very interesting. Levshunov seems like the real deal but honestly I really wonder what the issues with Dickinson, Buium, Yakemchuk and Parekh are in detail. All of them alone look extremely interesting by themselfs.

While Yakemchuk is -6 on 71 points, Parekh is +39 (team leading) on 96 points (also team leading by 33 pts). Buium is also teamleading +32 on 48 points. Dickinson is also teamleading with +56.

That being said those are insane numbers each. Wonder who will translate the best.
Levshunov: Poor IQ
Dickinson: Low ceiling
Buium: Jack of all trades master of none
Yakemchuk: Poor decision making
Parekh: No defense and small
Silayev: Poor offense

They all have their faults but it's rare to draft a complete prospect

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
Levshunov: Poor IQ
Dickinson: Low ceiling
Buium: Jack of all trades master of none
Yakemchuk: Poor decision making
Parekh: No defense and small
Silayev: Poor offense

They all have their faults but it's rare to draft a complete prospect
With these descriptors, I'm taking Buium and not even thinking. You can't teach IQ, you can perhaps marginally improve decision-making but not necessarily, but a large toolbox can slot in almost wherever.

Reactions: ScarTroy and Kalv

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
With these descriptors, I'm taking Buium and not even thinking. You can't teach IQ, you can perhaps marginally improve decision-making but not necessarily, but a large toolbox can slot in almost wherever.
Those are very general evaluations, in the same way there were negative feelings about Carlson's skating or Fantilli's IQ.

The truth is that scouting is not an exact science and someone may see "poor decision making" in Yak and then another scout sees unpolished gold.

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
Those are very general evaluations, in the same way there were negative feelings about Carlson's skating or Fantilli's IQ.

The truth is that scouting is not an exact science and someone may see "poor decision making" in Yak and then another scout sees unpolished gold.
Obviously, yeah. I don't tend to delve into scouting reports too deeply because it's just not my job and I have a fair amount of trust in Madden & co's ability to judge prospects, but those are definitely generalizations. If they're close to the truth, though, that's how I'd judge it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad