Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
Its a question where we will pick, because if its 8-11 range, I feel one of the betters will be available. But if we are talking about 12-15 range.... may be its better to take him than Helenius, Parekh, Yakemchuk or Eiserman.

I don't like Helenius overall - he looks like potential not good enough player for NHL overall. On my taste his cons separates him from NHL and his potential upside with his pros. I just don't see how with his physics and skating he will make an impact against NHL competition.

Parekh is the type of defensemen I don't like. Not physical, not fast, average skating. Not so great in defensive zone. Somewhere between D'Angelo and Ty Smith.

Yakemchuk us all about offense. I don't like his positionsl vision and his transitional game. His tools are more promising, but still he isn't in my priorities.

Eiserman is all about shooting. Players of his profile are having problems with adapting to NHL. May be still not bad to draft him in 12-15 range, just not my type.
------
I think Greentree is average and doesn't have something special in his game high enough to be picked in 10-15 draft spot.

I didn't watch Connely enough. Need more time.

I like Chernyshov more, but its Russian player and because I'm Russian and everybody hates to draft Russians outside 6-7 round, so whо cares. And even with absolutely right breakdown of Yurov, I still have ptsd with Perevalov, so I'm little afraid to push for Chernyshov.

So overall Nygard doesn't look like a bad decision to pick him in 12-15 range. He isn't just a player to be exciting about. And he is RW. I would prefer LW Chernyshov or Connely may be.

I just hope that Buium will be available for our pick and I will sleep well.
im probably a bit more optimistic on helenius. i think the smarts+anticipation+compete combo will help produce a pro out of him, and while i definitely understand some skepticism about tools, im optimistic his pro habits, play driving, and relative sturdiness on the puck (esp fighting along the boards) will make up for them. sort of a sum of his parts player. i understand why the others wouldnt be your preference for us

a couple other forwards i like in this partial dropback scenario would be artamonov, mixing solid skill and skating with a near elite motor/processor (and great khl level results), or sennecke, who is definitely riskier/rawer at this point but showcases some fantastic awareness, handling, and skill in a large frame that i think he's only scratching the surface of learning how to use to his advantage. on the defensive side of things, i still like jiricek in spite of his tumultuous draft year, and ive also been a fan of shuravin's poise, fluidity, and elite shutdown ability

Japam

I love Matt Loughlin.
May 21, 2012
nj
Zeev Buium sounds like the name of a black metal band. If the Devils were to draft him I would get this shirt made up.
deadwax-demo-hard.png

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Brantsegg-Nygard is the type of forward that literally every team needs.

Nothing not to love about the young Norwegian. He's a big-bodied (6'1-195) power forward who plays a high-IQ, high-compete brand of physical hockey. He's also certainly in the conversation for the best defensive winger in the 2024 draft, from what I've witnessed. This combination makes him a low-risk pick -- players of his ilk almost never bust, with the worst case scenario being his offense plateaus and he becomes a terrific 3rd line guy. Quite simply, his game easily translates to any level.

But Brantsegg-Nygard also represents a high-upside player, due to his most elite trait -- this kid can absolutely fire the puck. His rocket shot combined with a willingness to play in the dirty areas and take everything to the net gives him 1st line, high-scoring upside at the highest level. He's great at puck protection, he's a very good (not elite, but very good) passer and he's one of the best draft-eligibles you'll see in terms of winning board battles and puck battles in tight. If he has one flaw, I'd say his stick handling is average at best, and that lowers his deception. I'd like to see him change the angle more just before shooting, but he clearly just prefers to "catch and blast" as it were. Of course, this is a trait which can be improved through coaching and experience.

Brantsegg-Nygard's mix of two-way play, a power game, an elite shot and a high floor makes him a guy I'd look at in the 10-20 range. Nothing not to love about this kid.

He may be the guy

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Brantsegg-Nygard is the type of forward that literally every team needs.

Nothing not to love about the young Norwegian. He's a big-bodied (6'1-195) power forward who plays a high-IQ, high-compete brand of physical hockey. He's also certainly in the conversation for the best defensive winger in the 2024 draft, from what I've witnessed. This combination makes him a low-risk pick -- players of his ilk almost never bust, with the worst case scenario being his offense plateaus and he becomes a terrific 3rd line guy. Quite simply, his game easily translates to any level.

But Brantsegg-Nygard also represents a high-upside player, due to his most elite trait -- this kid can absolutely fire the puck. His rocket shot combined with a willingness to play in the dirty areas and take everything to the net gives him 1st line, high-scoring upside at the highest level. He's great at puck protection, he's a very good (not elite, but very good) passer and he's one of the best draft-eligibles you'll see in terms of winning board battles and puck battles in tight. If he has one flaw, I'd say his stick handling is average at best, and that lowers his deception. I'd like to see him change the angle more just before shooting, but he clearly just prefers to "catch and blast" as it were. Of course, this is a trait which can be improved through coaching and experience.

Brantsegg-Nygard's mix of two-way play, a power game, an elite shot and a high floor makes him a guy I'd look at in the 10-20 range. Nothing not to love about this kid.
I also think the question marks around his play making ability are not as big of a deal on a Devils team that has Hughes, Bratt, Hischier and Meier up front with Luke, Nemec, Hamilton and potentially Casey on the backend. I'm willing to forego a bit of offensive potential if it means adding a player like Brandsegg Nygard that can impact the game with his physicality and defense.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Another day, another player with shift by shift two games.

Lets just hope(if our season will continue to fall) that those(pretty the same) gms will be again so stupid enough to not draft excellent top-level prospect from Russia in the top-3/4 draft spot and Demidov will somehow sleep to our pick. The problem is he isnt sign for three more years, only one year, and there were mentions he want to travel to NA right after the end of the actual deal. May be he will prolong his deal for two more years, it would help him to slide more in the draft. Drafting him would be miracle and the greatest gift. He is top-5 talent from the drafts in the last 5 years.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Center seems pretty rough in that area though, and we desperately need some actual centers. Boisvert fits the bill, but not much else in that area
Admitting I haven't watched a ton of USHL this year, Sacha Boisvert was a guy I spent a couple games following due to his projectable draft position and the Devils' desperate organizational need for centers in a draft very thin at that position.

I have to admit I came away impressed. Boisvert offers size (6'2-180) and a borderline elite hockey IQ, complimenting that with a polished and excellent two-way game, a terrific shot and very good skill. This is certainly a kid with upside, as well as a player with room to grow both physically and in offensive ability. He is strong already, but another 20 pounds of muscle and "man weight" could make him an ideal 3C behind the elite tandem of Hischier and Jack Hughes, and a guy who could conceivably slot up the lineup in case of injury.

If I have one caveat, it would be that Boisvert is an average skater, and my personal belief is that one of the Devils major problems in 2023-24 is they lost A LOT of team speed and no longer have the ability to skate the opposition into the ground. I feel the Devils best players play their best at high speeds, and I'd like to see skating get back near the top of the organizational philosophies.

However, there is no doubt Boisvert is a great pick in the 15-25 range due to his high floor -- due to his great IQ and defensive play -- and high ceiling, which could come with physical maturity and some skating improvements. In a draft thin up the middle, Sacha Boisvert is certainly a name Devils fans should be aware of.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Admitting I haven't watched a ton of USHL this year, Sacha Boisvert was a guy I spent a couple games following due to his projectable draft position and the Devils' desperate organizational need for centers in a draft very thin at that position.

I have to admit I came away impressed. Boisvert offers size (6'2-180) and a borderline elite hockey IQ, complimenting that with a polished and excellent two-way game, a terrific shot and very good skill. This is certainly a kid with upside, as well as a player with room to grow both physically and in offensive ability. He is strong already, but another 20 pounds of muscle and "man weight" could make him an ideal 3C behind the elite tandem of Hischier and Jack Hughes, and a guy who could conceivably slot up the lineup in case of injury.

If I have one caveat, it would be that Boisvert is an average skater, and my personal belief is that one of the Devils major problems in 2023-24 is they lost A LOT of team speed and no longer have the ability to skate the opposition into the ground. I feel the Devils best players play their best at high speeds, and I'd like to see skating get back near the top of the organizational philosophies.

However, there is no doubt Boisvert is a great pick in the 15-25 range due to his high floor -- due to his great IQ and defensive play -- and high ceiling, which could come with physical maturity and some skating improvements. In a draft thin up the middle, Sacha Boisvert is certainly a name Devils fans should be aware of.
Big Boisvert fan. If the Devils were picking 15th or lower he'd be right towards the top of my list. Just can't justify him over a Brandsegg Nygard or Iginla.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
That matches what I've seen from him. Every time I've watched him he's been all over the ice making plays. I like him better than I liked Ryan Leonard from last year's draft as far as high energy two way wingers go.
Its a high mark. I will watch more Nygard games little bit later. Have some players to watch more before. I think he isnt as proactive and reactive as Leonard, May be need to watch closely.

Is he better enough in compare with other non-top-list players because if he is on the line, its hard to make a pick for RW when we have Bratt, Meier, Mercer, Holtz and Hameenaho in the line.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Big Boisvert fan. If the Devils were picking 15th or lower he'd be right towards the top of my list. Just can't justify him over a Brandsegg Nygard or Iginla.
Agreed, I'd take him third out of the three, especially since there's a solid chance Iginla can play center at the NHL level. These are all very good young players, however, and what I really like about them is they all have both high floors and high ceilings. Very slim chance of a bust with any of the three, and none are close to their potential upsides. It's a smart combination to keep in mind while drafting. But these are three players who, if they don't hit an apex of scoring-line NHLer, could all become very good 3rd line types.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Its a high mark. I will watch more Nygard games little bit later. Have some players to watch more before. I think he isnt as proactive and reactive as Leonard, May be need to watch closely.

Is he better enough in compare with other non-top-list players because if he is on the line, its hard to make a pick for RW when we have Bratt, Meier, Mercer, Holtz and Hameenaho in the line.
Apart from finishing ability I think Nygard is a much more consistent player overall. I've seen Leonard's motor waiver at times from shift to shift or even from game to game but Nygard is constantly making plays in all zones. I also think Nygard has the better vision and is better at making the smart simple plays. Leonard also got to play in a perfect situation being on a line with two high end playmakers in Smith and Perreault.

I'm more worried about improving the overall team defense and selecting the best player than I am about having too many RWs. Holtz is not a roster lock moving forward, I like Lenni as a player but he's still an unproven prospect selected in the 2nd round, Mercer hasn't been great this season either. Not to mention Brandsegg Nygard has the type of game that can play up and down the lineup which makes him an easy player to fit in any lineup.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Apart from finishing ability I think Nygard is a much more consistent player overall. I've seen Leonard's motor waiver at times from shift to shift or even from game to game but Nygard is constantly making plays in all zones. I also think Nygard has the better vision and is better at making the smart simple plays. Leonard also got to play in a perfect situation being on a line with two high end playmakers in Smith and Perreault.

I'm more worried about improving the overall team defense and selecting the best player than I am about having too many RWs. Holtz is not a roster lock moving forward, I like Lenni as a player but he's still an unproven prospect selected in the 2nd round, Mercer hasn't been great this season either. Not to mention Brandsegg Nygard has the type of game that can play up and down the lineup which makes him an easy player to fit in any lineup.
You can be blind by Perrault and Smith. Leonard was a glue guy who is making great moves in the same time. Nygard is older for his draft class. At the same time Leonard didnt play in environment where coaches hardly ask for making safe plays. I understand what are you talking about, because Nygard looks like experienced player. Again I see more high end talent in Leonard. Overall I liked Leonard much more than Perrault and even little more than Smith.

But in the same time everything I learned from the scouting is if the player is making right plays and he is in the right time in the right place on the ice - he will be successful or at least useful in NHL. With scoring and skating abilities Nygard has interesting potential with his two way game.

I need more to watch. Scoring ability is interesting to judge, because its a very translatable skill if player is using his shot in the right time and if he need less space and he can use opponents as a shield.

About roster - Mercer still is a roster player and even with step back season he will make step forward. This is just how aging and new coaching works. Bratt and Meier still there.
May be we should start to talk about how good Nygard could be as potential center. I slammed the drumms when told about how Yurov could be great center on higher level. He played and drafted as a wing in the end of the first round. And look at him now - he is great as a young center in KHL. May be we have some interesting center potential here in Nygard? It would change this game a lot if he has enough driving and transitioning in his game. Or he is good at supporting and board battling more?

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
OMG? Is the gang back together?
Can we make requests?

Andrew Basha and Teddy Stiga!

Not that we’ll have a pick where they’re likely to go but that’s because I can’t have nice things (aka our own 2nd Rd picks).
basha is a very fun player. super high energy and with elite vision. loves to have the puck on his stick both in transition and offensively as he searches for lanes, but is also a threat off puck with how well he reads play. very shifty and high pace at all times. shows some great playmaking upside, he can easily identify linemates and thread pucks through traffic to set up high danger chances. in conjunction with this, his combination of great handling and tenacity on the puck allows him to stave off defender stickchecking as well. hes not all playmaking, though, as he definitely has a quick and accurate wrister he can get off in tight. i think early season he was incorrectly being labeled as a beneficiary of playing with lindstrom when in reality he just made for a great complement to him

most of the downside to basha is that he doesnt outright excel at anything, but similar to the likes of brindley and konecny who compare somewhat favorably to him, i dont know if i expect that to really hold him back. the high end vision and pace lead me to believe he can become an effective middle 6er even if his lack of true plus tools holds back his ceiling a bit. you could probably slot him anywhere in your top 9 and be happy, he seems just as capable of playing with better talent as he is driving play himself. i would like to see him play a grittier game as i believe that will be key to his long term projectability. it can be seen in spurts, but its definitely not an every day viewing thing. i like this player and would take him in the 1st

stiga has had a great trajectory this year, going from almost an afterthought on the ntdp roster to being one of the better non-eiserman forwards. whereas basha has a little bit more boom to his upside given his elite vision/playmaking, i would say stiga is a big more well rounded. lots of quick strike offense off the rush. not sure his top speed is very high but hes still very slippery and smart about how he attacks space. he also attacks with great pace. like basha he has great anticipation on and off puck, but in contrast i think hes more willing to engage a puck carrier directly and hound him with stickchecks to force a turnover. has great forechecking upside due to his willingness to battle for pucks and play more of a dirty area game. competes hard, and has solid vision to set up his linemates with the puck. i dont think any one skill really stands out offensively, but he drives tough lanes and positions himself for scoring chances

the thing with stiga is, youre basically banking on him exactly reproducing his game in the pros to be effective since i dont believe theres that much of a fallback to his projection as an undersized do-all forechecker (in the way basha will always have his playmaking, for example). his lack of size/strength will be highlighted as an issue, but hes elusive, capable of small area plays, and has a covetable combination of pro habits and compete. i think he does a lot of things right and could be worth a bet in the 2nd

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
OMG? Is the gang back together?
Can we make requests?

Andrew Basha and Teddy Stiga!

Not that we’ll have a pick where they’re likely to go but that’s because I can’t have nice things (aka our own 2nd Rd picks).

Remember for a fun minute we thought we had Montreal's 2nd round pick. Most excited I've been for NJ all season.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I’m in thinking about it.

After your words I found three more games of Nygard. And watched Boisvert and Iginla too because of your dialogue with @StevenToddIves

And on my taste Nygard>Boisvert>Iginla
Nygard is the smartest, most accurate, with the best positional vision, at the same time he is talented enough, physical enough, skilled enough.

Today is Iginla the man with two shift by shift videos for watching.

Iginla is skilled physical aggressive player. May be not the fastest or the most skilled,not the greatest defensively and positionaly, but good forechecker, creative ornaments his own and always in the game. Good player to draft in 12-15 range. I’m not sure he can play center role in NHL.

On the other hand I think Nygard has potential to play center. Anyway he is so good in making right plays. His offensive potential is interesting because high iq should be adapted as other skills, but I think it is the most trasnlatable skill after skating. And it looks like Nygard is a better skater than Iginla and Boisvert.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
where do you see dickinson going_
I don't think he is Ducks pick - with Mintyukov and Zellweger they hardly need in right defenseman. They have huge top 6 and center depth with Zegras, Carlsson, McTavish, Gauthier. Someone will play on the wing, they don't need moore forward power in the top if the draft(of course Celebrini will be picked). Chicago looks like a team that can draft him, but I think they will prefer to draft Lindstrom. Jackets hardly need in center, so its Catton or Lindstrom. Ottawa looks like a team that can draft him - they have good top 6. But defense is questionable, they close to lose Chychrun. Who knows may be they wanted Buium more, may be they will start to draft smaller Russians in the early first but I would not wait this.

So on my taste it is matter how lottery will go, if things will stay for SJ, Chicago and Ottawa looks like teams to draft Dickinson.
But you never know.
If things will not change, im waiting
Celebrini in SJ
Levshunov in ANA
Lindstrom in CHI
Catton in CBJ
Dickinson in OTT
Demidov in ARI
Stupid pick in MTL

Everything will change with changing positions.

Jakets hardly needs in center.
Arizona doesn't have good centers on the table after Lindstrom/Catton will gone, they are not afraid to draft Russians, Demidov said he wants to travel to NA as fast as he can.
I'm not a fan of mtl. So its more about what they are strangly thinking. They have Hutson, Guhle and Xjekai on the left and Reinbacher with Logan M on the right. They need center hard. It doesn't look like they really need defenseman with what they have. Would be great if they will draft Helenius or even Eiserman especially. Because I don't like him at all, would be great to not having him on the table.

It makes Silayev or/and Buium available. I like Buium little bit more in the moment. But Fitz can have his own view as he always had before. I hope he will draft more talented and more smarter player. Im afraid of Eiserman, Parekh and Yakemchuk pick. Yakemchuk could be drafted higher because he is big and productive RD.

Last edited:

HughesCorporation

in the box
Jan 27, 2023
I don't think he is Ducks pick - with Mintyukov and Zellweger they hardly need in right defenseman. They have huge top 6 and center depth with Zegras, Carlsson, McTavish, Gauthier. Someone will play on the wing, they don't need moore forward power in the top if the draft(of course Celebrini will be picked). Chicago looks like a team that can draft him, but I think they will prefer to draft Lindstrom. Jackets hardly need in center, so its Catton or Lindstrom. Ottawa looks like a team that can draft him - they have good top 6. But defense is questionable, they close to lose Chychrun. Who knows may be they wanted Buium more, may be they will start to draft smaller Russians in the early first but I would not wait this.

So on my taste it is matter how lottery will go, if things will stay for SJ, Chicago and Ottawa looks like teams to draft Dickinson.
But you never know.
If things will not change, im waiting
Celebrini in SJ
Levshunov in ANA
Lindstrom in CHI
Catton in CBJ
Dickinson in OTT
Demidov in ARI
Stupid pick in MTL

Everything will change with changing positions.

Jakets hardly needs in center.
Arizona doesn't have good centers on the table after Lindstrom/Catton will gone, they are not afraid to draft Russians, Demidov said he wants to travel to NA as fast as he can.
I'm not a fan of mtl. So its more about what they are strangly thinking. They have Hutson, Guhle and Xjekai on the left and Reinbacher with Logan M on the right. They need center hard. It doesn't look like they really need defenseman with what they have. Would be great if they will draft Helenius or even Eiserman especially. Because I don't like him at all, would be great to not having him on the table.

It makes Silayev or/and Buium available. I like Buium little bit more in the moment. But Fitz can have his own view as he always had before. I hope he will draft more talented and more smarter player. Im afraid of Eiserman, Parekh and Yakemchuk pick. Yakemchuk could be drafted higher because he is big and productive RD.
thanks G, I listened to this kids interviews and he sound mature for his age. not great and any one thing but solid across the board. big but not physical, good leverage and boxing out. long reach. didnt think hes top 5, was hoping 7 or 8

Reactions: Guadana

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
If the Devils win the lotto 1-2-3, would you be ok with (Saros, Markstrom) for said pick? Or would that be overpay?

Maybe a pick swap (1-2-3)+ Holtz for Saros + pick 22? (1-2–3)+ Holtz for Markstrom + pick 12.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad