Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I think at least one of Catton, Lindstrom, and Helenius will fall to where we will probably be picking (not because they're not good but because I think this draft is loaded with really good defenseman). I would be happy with any of them. They're all average to great skaters with real offensive potential.

Catton is the best skater and has the highest ceiling, I think, but is the smallest and least physical.

Lindstrom skates well and is a big boy, but I think is IQ is a little fringier.

Helenius is a merely ok skater, but has the most polished game. From my limited viewings, I think he's a Lenni type.

I think that is the order I'd rank them in a vacuum, but for the Devils, I think I'd roll the dice on Lindstrom's hockey sense, because he's just a type of guy the team could use and I don't think he's a significantly worse prospect.
I don’t think Catton has higher ceiling. Lindstorm has. He has true first line potential, in case of Catton there are much more questions. Even with his skates. For a smaller player he needs more ice for making his play, a lot of what he is doing will not work in NHL. His iq is great but mostly offensive, Lindstrom is as flashy and he is playing much more NHLer game, doing great on the slot(which is rare). He isn’t as good as a playmaker, but in his case it’s not a problem, there are much more perimeter playmaking wings than offensive dynamo two way centers. And more realistically Lindstrom will play center role in NHL, even if second line center, but he has potential to be the first line center more, than Catton has.
But I still like Catton and I think he should be very good pick.
In case of Helenius - very questionable. I prefer defensemen or Demidov or Iginla.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I don’t think Catton has higher ceiling. Lindstorm has. He has true first line potential, in case of Catton there are much more questions. Even with his skates. For a smaller player he needs more ice for making his play, a lot of what he is doing will not work in NHL. His iq is great but mostly offensive, Lindstrom is as flashy and he is playing much more NHLer game, doing great on the slot(which is rare). He isn’t as good as a playmaker, but in his case it’s not a problem, there are much more perimeter playmaking wings than offensive dynamo two way centers. And more realistically Lindstrom will play center role in NHL, even if second line center, but he has potential to be the first line center more, than Catton has.
But I still like Catton and I think he should be very good pick.
In case of Helenius - very questionable. I prefer defensemen or Demidov or Iginla.
Sounds like Lindstrom would be perfect for NJ who desperately need a second center to play behind Hughes and ahead of Hischier.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
So Lindstrom could be a great 2C, providing some hard-nosed hockey alongside skill. Catton looks like has skill, and that would be welcome too especially if he has speed.

Otherwise we probably have to go D to get BPA.

Unless we continue this tailspin and in which case we may have better players available, unfortunately. 3-8 since the stadium series game is not what I expected at all.

Reactions: Guadana

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Sounds like Lindstrom would be perfect for NJ who desperately need a second center to play behind Hughes and ahead of Hischier.
See now this is fueling my tinfoil hat theory that the team knew McLeod was going to get suspended indefinitely for being human trash, so they tanked the season on purpose to draft a 2LC😉

Last edited:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I hate this.
You have a right to not visit this topic. And pray for a trade.

So Lindstrom could be a great 2C, providing some hard-nosed hockey alongside skill. Catton looks like has skill, and that would be welcome too especially if he has speed.

Otherwise we probably have to go D to get BPA.

Unless we continue this tailspin and in which case we may have better players available, unfortunately. 3-8 since the stadium series game is not what I expected at all.
Lindstrom is fasterthan Catton. But Lindstrom is a top 3-5, Catton can be available later. Catton is some kind of… between Cooley and Cristall.
Lindstrom is a next candidate to be next potential “Tkachuk”. I think he is more skilled more faster and even more physical version of Cutter Gauthier.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Lindstrom is fasterthan Catton. But Lindstrom is a top 3-5, Catton can be available later. Catton is some kind of… between Cooley and Cristall.
Lindstrom is a next candidate to be next potential “Tkachuk”. I think he is more skilled more faster and even more physical version of Cutter Gauthier.
Ahh, thanks for that - that helps. Wow, I'd love Lindstrom but I bet a player like that could get drafted higher than the draft experts' positioning/ranking of him.

then again, who knows.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Ahh, thanks for that - that helps. Wow, I'd love Lindstrom but I bet a player like that could get drafted higher than the draft experts' positioning/ranking of him.

then again, who knows.
Yeah, the only thing that can “help” is his injury. I waited McTavish for Ducks and it was very high, and in today circumstances I’m waiting Lindstrom being picked high. May Ducks and Blackhawks will pick other players, but in case of Columbus or San Jose it would be great for both organizations to pick second line center with scoring touch, speed and physicality. The question is who will be the first to pick Celebrini.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, the only thing that can “help” is his injury. I waited McTavish for Ducks and it was very high, and in today circumstances I’m waiting Lindstrom being picked high. May Ducks and Blackhawks will pick other players, but in case of Columbus or San Jose it would be great for both organizations to pick second line center with scoring touch, speed and physicality. The question is who will be the first to pick Celebrini.

Yep. Celebrini seems a lock to be first. Would love him, but that's unlikely.

CalamityX23

May 2, 2023
I'm not that familiar with this class as I'm doing my first rd research...

to whom does Celebrini compare to? since he's been the unanimous #1 for awhile.

It would be OUR luck to win the lotto on anothe draft without have a gamechanger bonafide talent scorer if that's the case which feels like it.(Not a Bedard). Not dismissing Jack, he's worthy of #1 status.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
You have a right to not visit this topic. And pray for a trade.

Catton can very easily go before Lindstrom. Catton has been on an absolute tear since most of the midseason rankings were released.

Pronman just released his updated draft rankings and he has Catton #6 and Lindstrom #8.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC

It would be OUR luck to win the lotto on anothe draft without have a gamechanger bonafide talent scorer if that's the case which feels like it.(Not a Bedard). Not dismissing Jack, he's worthy of #1 status.

No, you're right. Hischier and Hughes were #1 picks but neither are "generational talent" like Bedard or McDavid are. But of the most recent 10 1st overalls, they're the only two generational picks. Celebrini is also not said to be generational, but more like Hughes.

Reactions: CalamityX23

evnted

Apr 14, 2016

in terms of play style, he reminds me of zibanejad. probably more clutch, and a bit more 200ft consistency, but visually theyre very similar on the ice

in terms of pedigree, i think hes right in the mix with carlsson and fantilli from last year, so an excellent franchise piece. celebrini's performance this year completely warrants his unanimous 1OA projection, but on top of that i dont think anyone behind him has truly made it an argument either, which is why its felt like a lock for so much of the season

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Catton can very easily go before Lindstrom. Catton has been on an absolute tear since most of the midseason rankings were released.

Pronman just released his updated draft rankings and he has Catton #6 and Lindstrom #8.
Pronman isnt very accurate. And writers and gms have different view. And you know what, gms are who draft. Reason why I think Lindstrom will be drafted higher/ As it was with McTavish, as it was with Slafkovsky, as it was with Gauthier. Even as it was with Karlsson. The only real red flag is injury, may be this effect on some gm.

And we are not even started to talk about big defensemen with good skating and vision/hands. Catton isnt look like a sure thing as top line center. Reason why he can drop. Even if I would prefer him over many(most) players if Lindstrom isnt available.

No, you're right. Hischier and Hughes were #1 picks but neither are "generational talent" like Bedard or McDavid are. But of the most recent 10 1st overalls, they're the only two generational picks. Celebrini is also not said to be generational, but more like Hughes.
I like Hughes more. I would say I like him much more.

He has less hair than Zibanejad.
Less hair, less eyes.

devilsfan950003

Jul 3, 2023
The Devil's first round draft pick in this years draft will most likely be traded. Hopefully for a number 1A goaltender.

CalamityX23

May 2, 2023
thank you! Kinda feels like how you described..... nothing wrong with another Jack Hughes am I right? lol

in terms of play style, he reminds me of zibanejad. probably more clutch, and a bit more 200ft consistency, but visually theyre very similar on the ice

in terms of pedigree, i think hes right in the mix with carlsson and fantilli from last year, so an excellent franchise piece. celebrini's performance this year completely warrants his unanimous 1OA projection, but on top of that i dont think anyone behind him has truly made it an argument either, which is why its felt like a lock for so much of the season
No Slafoskys to usurp his standing? That's unfortuante should we win top 3....

But interesting Zibanejad reference.... I like him too. but ooof despise his success against us.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
No Slafoskys to usurp his standing? That's unfortuante should we win top 3....
Its not Slafkovsky who usurped Wright's standings. Nemec and Cooley were drafted earlier too. It was Wright who was bad to be drafted later. And he should be drafted even later than he was. Celebrini is very good.

Reactions: My3Sons

CalamityX23

May 2, 2023
Its not Slafkovsky who usurped Wright's standings. Nemec and Cooley were drafted earlier too. It was Wright who was bad to be drafted later. And he should be drafted even later than he was. Celebrini is very good.
ahh ahh yes, forgot our own Nemec and Cooley going before Wright too....

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
1710367493255.png

Another ranking with Catton ahead of Lindstrom. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Catton go top 5.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
There are different rankings.
1710368093450.png

There is more proven guy with Lindstrom higher than Catton. And its not like any rank is effecting on something at all. Catton is producing, Lindstrom is injury. This is the ONLY real reason why Catton can be higher and even will be picked higher. Mostly without any virtual rankings reality is about top heavy guys with skating and hands are going higher than smaller guys. Catton is fun but he isnt as dynamic as Cooley, he isnt physical, he play junior league style of the game where his flashy moves will not work against tougher competition, because he is handling in from of the face, Lindstrom is separating and manipulating. With higher speed. And of course he is million times more physical, most of his shot are not going from the perimeter. Its not like Catton is perimeter only, but his passing is more NHL transladable, big part of his shooting ability needs to work to translate it on NHL level.

So if we will have Catton - hooray, still very very good player with brain, good skating, of course need more legs days, need to learn physical stuff, may be questionable as top-6 center, but still very dynamic as a two way compete player with great offensive abilities.
Lindstrom is on another level of what he is as a player, what we need in players, with higher ceiling. More realistically top-6 center or top line winger, may be even top line center. And you never have a player like him outside the draft or very-very pricy trade. Catton is more realistically very dynamic top-6 playmaking winger/second line center.

its about from their games, not from their rankings. If its question who is better between him - there are no questions. If its a question who will be picked higher - we never know but more realistically Lindstrom is a top-5 pick, Catton is in the next tier. If its question about availability - again we dont know. Personally I think both should be drafted in top-6. Both are way better players than Helenius. I hope we will draft D or Demidov if its a qestion between them and Helenius. Lindstrom and Catton both are great to draft. If we want center we should draft them, if we want winger between Demidov and Catton - there are more questions. If we want forward, we should not even think about Helenius and just pick defenseman. All of them are better players then Helenius. I would prefer Iginla over Helenius even with "lower ceiling".

Draft Parekh by 9th pick on this draft is just stupid. Thats all about this rankings. For both Cosentino and McKenzie.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Iginla please, if we pick high enough. Wouldn't mind Yakemchuk or Greentree either.
Tij Iginla is a guy I've watched a bunch this year. His father is probably my favorite non-Devils forward of all time (give or take Yzerman, but I'm old), so I've been uniquely intrigued by his development.

Despite his last name, Tij was pretty low on draft radars entering this season, and it's important to stress this was not his fault. Last year, he was buried as a depth F on an absolutely stacked Seattle WHL roster. This year, as a feature F on Kelowna, he's shown in spades his potential -- as a two-way, 30+ goal NHL forward who plays with the grinding, physical, two-way mentality of a 3rd liner.

Tij's strengths are plenty and his weaknesses almost non-existent. I'd say the foremost things to like about him are his extraordinary IQ, athleticism and physical strength which far exceed his 5'11-185 frame and an elite shooting combination of release/power. He's not an elite vision type player, but he's so smart he always knows how to get pucks into high danger areas. His incredible instincts for hockey are apparent on every shift, he always seems to be thinking two to three steps ahead of the opposition, which is a trait I have always always promoted -- this rare ability sees him open for more shooting attempts, it sees him extending offensive zone play, it essentially ups every one of his physical traits by a level or two.

Though I would be loathe to compare him technically to Dawson Mercer, we're talking a similar breed of player -- a smart hard-worker who can slot to center or wing, play all situations on the ice, and slot up and down the line-up seamlessly and be effective on a first line or a third line. The kid is a coaches dream.

Though we would be mistaken to envision Tij Iginla as a superstar-type prospect, I feel he's a can't miss NHLer who has 30+ goal, 70+ point pro potential, which certainly makes him a worthy candidate for the mid-to-late 1st round of the 2024 draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad