2024 NHL Draft prospects

czech

Feb 23, 2009
Other Czech names:
Badinka's twins: Dominik & Daniel.
Dominik: 17pts in the last 5 games (Czech-U17), 3pts in the last 3 games (Czech-U20) (!).
Daniel: 15pts in the last 5 games (Czech-U17), 2pts in the last 2 games (Czech-U20).

Reactions: Goodman68

czech

Feb 23, 2009
2024 mock...
2024.jpg

Last edited:

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I see in an earlier post back in February a ranking that shows Macklin at #3, Tomas at #28 and Dryden at #48.

I haven't seen them recently, and I am curious about the relative rankings. Is it simply a matter of size, Dryden being noticeably smaller?

The reason I ask is that I thought while Macklin stayed with NSWC minor hockey in his bantam years, Dryden I thought was with BWC academy, Tomas always with Delta academy. Then when Dryden was BCHL, Macklin was USHL and I don't know how to compare the two leagues or the U18 academy since a lot of kids move on to BCHL/WHL.

Is there a good basis from spring hockey here in the lower mainland where the three (along with Jordan) would have been going head to head? Have their development curves taken slightly different paths?

Is it like I asked above, Macklin is simply bigger?

Or is it both, development and size?

Would be curious to hear from someone who has watched them closely the past couple years and what their development paths currently look like. I mean, I know how big all of them are.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I see in an earlier post back in February a ranking that shows Macklin at #3, Tomas at #28 and Dryden at #48.

I haven't seen them recently, and I am curious about the relative rankings. Is it simply a matter of size, Dryden being noticeably smaller?

The reason I ask is that I thought while Macklin stayed with NSWC minor hockey in his bantam years, Dryden I thought was with BWC academy, Tomas always with Delta academy. Then when Dryden was BCHL, Macklin was USHL and I don't know how to compare the two leagues or the U18 academy since a lot of kids move on to BCHL/WHL.

Is there a good basis from spring hockey here in the lower mainland where the three (along with Jordan) would have been going head to head? Have their development curves taken slightly different paths?

Is it like I asked above, Macklin is simply bigger?

Or is it both, development and size?

Would be curious to hear from someone who has watched them closely the past couple years and what their development paths currently look like. I mean, I know how big all of them are.

Celebrini had a remarkable year for his age at one of the world's premier hockey factories. I posted this in the Mack Celebrini thread:

SSM has some serious talent up front this year at the U18 and U16 levels but Mack(lin)'s 15 year-old season with the U18 team (2.13 ppg) is pretty unprecedented in recent times. Crosby's 162 points in 57 games for the U18's as a 15 year-old is pretty untouchable. But I believe Mack's season is the best 15 year-old season at the U18 level since then. Toews put up 118 in 70 (1.68 ppg). Clayton Keller put up 77 in 51 games (1.50 ppg) his 15 year-old season - which is roughly also what Eiserman has done this year. MacKinnon was still with the U16 team his 15 year-old season, granted he was younger / later birthdate.

Obviously stats at this level aren't always apples to apples comparisons especially when talking over two decades of time. But it's not hard to see Celebrini (and Eiserman) eventually joining the ranks of SSM-grad stars at the college/junior and perhaps eventually NHL level. What they did this year was rarified air and I think that is going to become more and more clear as they progress moving forward.

Mrsic and Kuramoto are really talented but of course their size is going to factor in a list of "NHL projections". And a lot can happen between now and 2024...Catton is obviously an elite talent as well and then you have McQueen, Gavin, etc as late '06's (2025 draft). But Celebrini's combination of development at SSM, physical tools and smarts and continued rave reviews at the TC U17 camp make him an early favorite.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Celebrini had a remarkable year for his age at one of the world's premier hockey factories. I posted this in the Mack Celebrini thread:

SSM has some serious talent up front this year at the U18 and U16 levels but Mack(lin)'s 15 year-old season with the U18 team (2.13 ppg) is pretty unprecedented in recent times. Crosby's 162 points in 57 games for the U18's as a 15 year-old is pretty untouchable. But I believe Mack's season is the best 15 year-old season at the U18 level since then. Toews put up 118 in 70 (1.68 ppg). Clayton Keller put up 77 in 51 games (1.50 ppg) his 15 year-old season - which is roughly also what Eiserman has done this year. MacKinnon was still with the U16 team his 15 year-old season, granted he was younger / later birthdate.

Obviously stats at this level aren't always apples to apples comparisons especially when talking over two decades of time. But it's not hard to see Celebrini (and Eiserman) eventually joining the ranks of SSM-grad stars at the college/junior and perhaps eventually NHL level. What they did this year was rarified air and I think that is going to become more and more clear as they progress moving forward.

Mrsic and Kuramoto are really talented but of course their size is going to factor in a list of "NHL projections". And a lot can happen between now and 2024...Catton is obviously an elite talent as well and then you have McQueen, Gavin, etc as late '06's (2025 draft). But Celebrini's combination of development at SSM, physical tools and smarts and continued rave reviews at the TC U17 camp make him an early favorite.
Thanks.

To clarify, i was wondering about a couple things:

How does SSM (USHL?) league compare to BCHL? I have no idea about USHL, so genuinely curious.

And are you going off reports and stats of Macklin at SSM, or are you able to watch Macklin develop over the season with them (live or streamed)?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Thanks.

To clarify, i was wondering about a couple things:

How does SSM (USHL?) league compare to BCHL? I have no idea about USHL, so genuinely curious.

And are you going off reports and stats of Macklin at SSM, or are you able to watch Macklin develop over the season with them (live or streamed)?
Purely stats and Twitter footage - that’s why I preface it all with the usual disclaimers. I have seen Eiserman though and he’s among the best Americans in his age cohort and another kid who is an *early* contender for the top of this draft class. And Celebrini thoroughly outproduced him.

SSM is not the USHL it plays multiple age levels of prep hockey so it is more analogous to the CSSHL prep programs and the USHL is junior hockey more analogous to the BCHL or WHL (in terms of age). Mack got drafted by the premier USHL program, the Chicago Steel, this summer just as he was drafted by the T-Birds in the WHL US draft. He’ll be playing in Chicago next year and just committed to one of the premier NCAA programs, the BU Terriers, where he will likely start play as a freshman in the fall of 2024.

Reactions: I am toxic

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Thanks. You mentioned the TCu17 camp, am curious if Dryden (and Jesse as goalie) was even invited, the scouts all appear to be from out East.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The American hierarchy is very dubious with players failing the USDP selection in the 1st round but good attempt.
I don't think not making the NTDP means you aren't good though. Aidan Park at 7 is probably not going to be the 7th highest player drafted in 2024, but I think he could be a first rounder. He's probably better than many players that made the NTDP.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
You guys are quoting a post from February - might as well be 5 years ago in the development of a prospect at this age. I appreciate the original list a lot as a “watch list” but it strains credulity that somebody can actually rank hundreds of 15 year-olds across the globe with much accuracy or authority outside of placing a few of the real phenoms at the top.

I’d put much more stock in the progress these kids have made at the end of last season, through international tournaments and national youth camps and junior drafts this summer and their starting levels right now than a list from February. I’m sure if the original poster of the list re-did it now it would look completely different - that’s just the nature of ranking 15-16 year-olds.

Ovechkin962

Aug 25, 2010
Way too early top 32 for the 2024 draft:
1. Macklin Celebrini
2. Cole Eiserman
3. Ivan Demidov
4. Konsta Helenius
5. Adam Jiricek
6. Berkly Catton
7. Zayne Parekh
8. Maxim Massé
9. Beckett Sennecke
10. Carter Yakemchuk
11. Sam Dickinson
12. Cayden Lindstrom
13. Aron Kiviharju
14. Michael Hage
15. Michael Brandsegg-Nygard
16. Artyom Levshunov
17. Brodie Ziemer
18. Henry Mews
19. Anthony Cristoforo
20. Kamil Bednarik
21. Ryder Ritchie
22. Liam Greentree
23. Cole Hutson
24. Simon Zether
25. Igor Chernyshov
26. Gabriel Frasca
27. Tanner Howe
28. Andrew Basha
29. Alexander Zetterberg
30. Christian Humphreys
31. Kristian Epperson
32. Mac Swanson

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Kiviharju is a prodigy, who has historic season after historic season and is playing way above his age. There are flaws, but to rate him at #13? Doesn't make any sense. Seems that lately there is a trend of bashing on Kiviharju for whatever reason, people trying to be "edgy" with their takes or smth.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Way too early top 32 for the 2024 draft:
1. Macklin Celebrini
2. Cole Eiserman
3. Ivan Demidov
4. Konsta Helenius
5. Adam Jiricek
6. Berkly Catton
7. Zayne Parekh
8. Maxim Massé
9. Beckett Sennecke
10. Carter Yakemchuk
11. Sam Dickinson
12. Cayden Lindstrom
13. Aron Kiviharju
14. Michael Hage
15. Michael Brandsegg-Nygard
16. Artyom Levshunov
17. Brodie Ziemer
18. Henry Mews
19. Anthony Cristoforo
20. Kamil Bednarik
21. Ryder Ritchie
22. Liam Greentree
23. Cole Hutson
24. Simon Zether
25. Igor Chernyshov
26. Gabriel Frasca
27. Tanner Howe
28. Andrew Basha
29. Alexander Zetterberg
30. Christian Humphreys
31. Kristian Epperson
32. Mac Swanson
Lots of Canadian kids. Disappointed Howe is so low.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
This thread was made when a bunch of them were 6th graders :laugh:

My goodness it’s incredible at least a couple of them have kept up with their “draft stock” for the past 6-7 years lol.

Reactions: bh53

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
This thread was made when a bunch of them were 6th graders :laugh:

My goodness it’s incredible at least a couple of them have kept up with their “draft stock” for the past 6-7 years lol.
Some of them don’t even have an EliteProspects page though, so either they quit hockey and asked for their profile to be deleted or they never existed in the first place. :D

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Kiviharju is a prodigy, who has historic season after historic season and is playing way above his age. There are flaws, but to rate him at #13? Doesn't make any sense. Seems that lately there is a trend of bashing on Kiviharju for whatever reason, people trying to be "edgy" with their takes or smth.

Sounds like you have a dog in the race here more than anything else.

Historic for their age seasons doesn't mean as much to scouts as projection to the NHL, those flaws that you speak of size/skating not being elite can make the difference between a top 3 spot and 13th and players progress at different rates as well.

To me there is a "Big 3" right now with Macklin Celebrini, Cole Eiserman, Ivan Demidov and then other guys vying for the second tier and we will know much more in 6 or 7 months than right now as some guys are going to rise and others will slip or even fall.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Sounds like you have a dog in the race here more than anything else.

Historic for their age seasons doesn't mean as much to scouts as projection to the NHL, those flaws that you speak of size/skating not being elite can make the difference between a top 3 spot and 13th and players progress at different rates as well.

To me there is a "Big 3" right now with Macklin Celebrini, Cole Eiserman, Ivan Demidov and then other guys vying for the second tier and we will know much more in 6 or 7 months than right now as some guys are going to rise and others will slip or even fall.

It is interesting that size/skating is a good argument to push Kiviharju to 13 despite all the evidence that speaks for him, but Michkov comes without a scratch and "how dare you" is used when you point out his flaws, even though, I would not push Michkov outside of TOP 5 in such strong draft as 2023.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad