Draft 2024 NHL Draft Prospects & Undrafted Free Agents

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm not sure I see an NHL future for Bryce honestly. He's a good, not great college player who is somewhat undersized and doesn't play an overtly physical game. His style is very reminiscent to Johnny honestly. That's not to say he's a bad player, but I could see him getting an AHL deal somewhere and seeing where it goes.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
So... Collin Graf?

seems like a fair bit of smoke about him being a ranger. honestly, not expecting much but i'd love to be wrong. i haven't seen a ton of him, but i've just never seen a game that translates to the nhl level when i have. watching the recent tourny games, and i fully acknowledge 2 games do not define anyone, but as recent examples where more eyes got to see i just didn't see anything from him.

like if he made some big mistakes but was on the puck and driving play leading to them, or had been involved and noticeable in other ways that didn't translate to production ie on the forecheck, as a guy who established o zone possession, as a menace hounding pucks all over the ice etc...i wouldn't care what the numbers were. i just don't think i noticed him almost at all. for the entire weekend i think the one play he almost made an impact was getting a puck off a faceoff and getting a decent shot off quickly that was saved. for a touted free agent name, you'd really want to see more of an impact on the game. maybe those were just 2 horrible games at a bad time to have them, but i just did not notice a skillset be it in skating ability, iq, or puck skills, pace, or physicality that were differential in any way. i just didn't see anything that led me to believe he has the talent level or playing style that translates as either a top 6 nhl producer or that can be effective in a bottom 6 role. like i said, hope to be wrong. nothing wrong with bringing him in, roll the dice on some upside and worst case is add a bit of org depth.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
seems like a fair bit of smoke about him being a ranger. honestly, not expecting much but i'd love to be wrong. i haven't seen a ton of him, but i've just never seen a game that translates to the nhl level when i have. watching the recent tourny games, and i fully acknowledge 2 games do not define anyone, but as recent examples where more eyes got to see i just didn't see anything from him.

like if he made some big mistakes but was on the puck and driving play leading to them, or had been involved and noticeable in other ways that didn't translate to production ie on the forecheck, as a guy who established o zone possession, as a menace hounding pucks all over the ice etc...i wouldn't care what the numbers were. i just don't think i noticed him almost at all. for the entire weekend i think the one play he almost made an impact was getting a puck off a faceoff and getting a decent shot off quickly that was saved. for a touted free agent name, you'd really want to see more of an impact on the game. maybe those were just 2 horrible games at a bad time to have them, but i just did not notice a skillset be it in skating ability, iq, or puck skills, pace, or physicality that were differential in any way. i just didn't see anything that led me to believe he has the talent level or playing style that translates as either a top 6 nhl producer or that can be effective in a bottom 6 role. like i said, hope to be wrong. nothing wrong with bringing him in, roll the dice on some upside and worst case is add a bit of org depth.

It's pretty rare that a player, at 21 years old in the NCAA, who scores 109 points in his last (2) years in school doesn't come in and score at the NHL level. He has a pretty high end motor and really good skill. It would be a coup for the Rangers to sign him honestly.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
It's pretty rare that a player, at 21 years old in the NCAA, who scores 109 points in his last (2) years in school doesn't come in and score at the NHL level. He has a pretty high end motor and really good skill. It would be a coup for the Rangers to sign him honestly.

like i said, i hope i'm wrong, and i'm all for signing him. you can't be wrong taking a chance on a guy like that. i simply haven't seen anything that offers much in the way of expectations. nothing would make me happier than if he were to prove that very wrong. i haven't seen the motor which is a big reason for concern. as far as production, the numbers are great, but they can't be viewed in a vacuum. everything is situational, but as good as the numbers are, they also didn't improve from the prior year in pts/gm. quinnipiac is also a place that has never brought in elite talent, they built a great program on coaching and development, but they haven't seen many players succeed at the nhl level. i remember sam anas a few years ago who put up points and he never played an nhl game.

i'm not trying to put the kid down, i'd be happy to see him sign. i just don't think people's expectations should be set at top 6 nhl'er. it's more realistic to expect a brodzinsky type tweener and if he happens to exceed that...that's awesome.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Yeah, the UDFA signings haven't really worked out aside from Talbot, Pionk, Ortmeyer and Gilroy to a lesser degree.

Justin Richards
Patrick Khodorenko
Austin Rueschhoff
Ryan Haggerty
Vinni Lettieri
Bobby Trivigno
Mat Bodie
Conor Allen
Tommy Grant
Patrick Newell
Kyle Jean
Nick Jones
Adam Chapie
Lewis Zerter-Gossage
Ahti Oksanen
Jeff Malcolm
Chris Nell

Some of these were on AHL deals in Hartford but I remember all these participating in Ranger training camps.

The thing is, when it comes to UDFAs, the success-rate is low. Even lower than signing free agents who were actually drafted. UDFAs are a long-shot. And we've had our fair share or them, even from Europe with Ville Meskanen, Michael Lindqvist, Andres Ambühl, Malte Stromwall, Gustav Rydahl, Alexei Bereglazov etc.
True, but these are all free kicks at the can.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Isn’t that tweet referring to he’s deciding between signing with Arizona or going back to school?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Is this sarcasm?

Who have the Sharks or David Quinn developed in recent years? Or are you just saying this because it’s a fast path to the NHL?

It's not about playing for the Sharks.

It's about signing for the team that's willing to give you an ELC right away, rather than one that kicks in July 1st.

Collin Graf will get a signing bonus paid 3 times in the next 15 months, and will be RFA in 2026, rather than 2027.

The Rangers did the exact same thing with Ryan Haggerty as (I think) @cwede outlined earlier this week. The Flyers did this with Mike Vecchione.

When you have leverage as a college UDFA, you use that leverage. This is a smart move by Graf.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Now that Spartak's season is over I'm curious when/if we hear anything about Maxim Tsyplakov. I know we were possibly linked to him not too long ago. There will be tons of competition for spots, but at the very least his skillset could translate well to a 4th line role

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
The Rangers haven't signed any free agents other than Ryan Siedem signed by Hartford. There seems to be some frustration with the lack of action. There still are several free agents who are playing in the final four and others not yet signed including CHL and overseas agents as well as drafted players not signed.

I started following the free agent market more closely during the later 2010s when the Rangers were trading away draft picks and needed free agents to fill up Hartford's roster.

There are several reasons why a team may be able to sign a free agent. One is the type of contract that is offered. Another is a player wanting to play in a particular market -- home town, favorite team (Bobby Trivigno signing with the Rangers), favorite player. A player may only receive one NHL offer.

But pretty consistently what you hear is that most of the top players are looking for a situation that provides a clear path to the NHL. Molly Walker reported the Rangers were interested in Colin Graf but I was skeptical. There are number 1 and 2 drafted players already on right wing with two other first round picks (Othmann and Perrault) waiting in the wings.

The Athletic has a story about Graf's decision. There was one paragraph that I quote below that provides a very clear vision of the analysis that goes into a player making a choice. I think it will demonstrate why the Rangers, absent special circumstances, might have trouble being selected by free agents.

"Burning the first year of the deal was not Graf’s priority. He wanted to go to a team he could see himself playing for long-term, not just five or six games down the stretch. Along with agent Jerry Buckley, he went through every finalist with a fine-tooth comb to review depth charts, prospect pools, draft picks, coaching styles, management and which teams may have a dearth of right-shot forwards."

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Is this sarcasm?

Who have the Sharks or David Quinn developed in recent years? Or are you just saying this because it’s a fast path to the NHL?
Not only the fast path to the NHL, but David Quinn for better or worse gives his top guys time and opportunity and rides them. Be a top guy (not a huge lift on that team) and he'll get his opportunities and the chance to put up numbers.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
The Rangers haven't signed any free agents other than Ryan Siedem signed by Hartford. There seems to be some frustration with the lack of action. There still are several free agents who are playing in the final four and others not yet signed including CHL and overseas agents as well as drafted players not signed.

I started following the free agent market more closely during the later 2010s when the Rangers were trading away draft picks and needed free agents to fill up Hartford's roster.

There are several reasons why a team may be able to sign a free agent. One is the type of contract that is offered. Another is a player wanting to play in a particular market -- home town, favorite team (Bobby Trivigno signing with the Rangers), favorite player. A player may only receive one NHL offer.

But pretty consistently what you hear is that most of the top players are looking for a situation that provides a clear path to the NHL. Molly Walker reported the Rangers were interested in Colin Graf but I was skeptical. There are number 1 and 2 drafted players already on right wing with two other first round picks (Othmann and Perrault) waiting in the wings.

The Athletic has a story about Graf's decision. There was one paragraph that I quote below that provides a very clear vision of the analysis that goes into a player making a choice. I think it will demonstrate why the Rangers, absent special circumstances, might have trouble being selected by free agents.

"Burning the first year of the deal was not Graf’s priority. He wanted to go to a team he could see himself playing for long-term, not just five or six games down the stretch. Along with agent Jerry Buckley, he went through every finalist with a fine-tooth comb to review depth charts, prospect pools, draft picks, coaching styles, management and which teams may have a dearth of right-shot forwards."
If I’m reading capfriendly correctly, Drury has 45 players under contract for 24/25 already.
Gustafsson, Roslovic, Wennberg, Wheeler and Rulwedel all UFA’s.
3 of those 5 will need to be filled leaving 2 contracts.
Maybe Drury has earmarked those 3 NHL openings and the 2 AHL openings with pending UFA’s?

Reactions: tiggles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad