2024 NHL Draft: Play with no weenie, for Celebrini

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Where do you have Iginla in your rankings?

12. I'll post finals when I'm there, but Artamonov is #14 and I feel good about him in that tier, that's the guy I'm mostly banking on being available in the late 1st. I'm definitely low on Parekh and Jiricek.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
typical poster always critical but never offers their opinion , what are your thoughts so one of us can rip your post to shreds.
I have no opinions because I haven’t seen either of them play nor have done any reading on either player. You asked why someone would rate Player A higher than Player B. I gave the most logical answer.

Also, what are you talking about? I offer my opinions all the time.

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
At this point, who is in the range that Minnesota is going to pick? Mid teens?
After what seems to be the consensus top 10, the next 8 seems to be:

Parekh (RD)
Yakemchuk (RD)
Iginla (F)
Greentree (RW)
Connelly (LW)
Brandsegg-Nygard (RW)
Chernyshov (LW)
Jiricek (RD)

In some order.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
why would you pick artamonov over chernyshov???
I'd like to give your post an answer. If looking at production alone a person would prefer Artamonov, as his points-per-game in the KHL is significantly higher. I'd like to dig a bit deeper, though.

Chernyshov:
  • Big kid, 6'2" 190lbs.
  • Good skating. He looks like he was trained by someone who knows how to skate properly, maybe a figure skater. Good acceleration, NHL-average to above average top speed, lots of crossovers.
  • Shot is ok, good release but won't beat NHL goalies.
  • His playmaking is strong. His passes aren't special, but they are quick, accurate, and to the open man's tape.
  • Does not possess flashy skill, he's a north-south player.
  • Intensity appears a bit low. Engages in the play and crashes the net when he has the puck, not so much the rest of the time. He reminds me of Charlie Coyle in that he's big, strong, skates well, and CAN do some special things, but he always leaves me wanting more.
  • Stands around in the defensive zone, not picking up his man and not getting in lanes. I'm not sure if it's a lack of desire or a lack of knowledge of his defensive responsibilities. Does he just not know where to be, or does he not care?
  • Big and fast is a great combination of tools, but he also appears smart in the offensive zone and dumb in the defensive zone. I fear that I see a long-term KHLer, not an NHLer.
Artamonov:
  • Pretty medium sized, can get pushed around a bit, needs to get stronger.
  • Skating is good, not great. He's got decent speed and uses it, but lacks the balance and the polish of Chernyshov's skating.
  • His shot looks quick. I don't know that he'll be a major goal scorer, but it looks better than Chernyshov's right now.
  • Passing... I didn't get a great read on it, but it looked pretty good. At times his passes are very direct and to the tape, other times his passes seem uncertain, and therefore slow, and don't make it to their intended target.
  • I wouldn't quite say he attacks the net, but he does get in front of it, and causes traffic and deflections. He's not afraid of physical play, even if he's not strong enough yet. With the puck he takes the space that's there before making his shot or pass. Shows confidence with the puck.
  • Intensity is good, this kid's willing to compete with and without the puck, and in all zones. Gets in lanes, with an active stick and keeps his feet moving. I'd go so far as to say this (his "motor") is his greatest strength, at least from what I saw.
  • Can make some bad passes during defensive zone breakouts, but is engaged there and helps break up plays. Active stick, active feet, in lanes, pins guys on the wall.
  • Due to his responsible nature and good-enough tools, I think he'll be an NHLer. I think I see him as a 3rd liner there, but maybe he has more skill than I noticed in the single game I saw.
My biggest takeaway after wataching both players is that Chernyshov has better physical tools but uses them inconsistently, while Artamonov is able to do more with less due to his engagement in the play, correct positioning, and constant movement.

If I had to choose one just off of what I've seen today, I'd pick Artamonov. But this was just off watching their shifts in a single game, so take it with a grain of salt. Overall, I think they're in the same tier, if I were making a draft list.

Reactions: Sweetnut

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
Anybody have a good read on Heidt's teammate/linemate?
Parascak? I havent watched since the beginning of the year but he didnt seem too special. He's sorta clever, can make a pass, and decent shot but doesnt drive play or skate particularly well. I guess if the Wild somehow end up with a late 1st he's fine where he's mocked but tbh I think he's more a mid to late 2nd round talent to me. Like if I compare him to Bankier, I prefer Bankier.

There's has to be some discounting happening when talking about PG players. Chase Wheatcroft was undrafted, goes to PG last year, puts up big numbers, gets a contract with Dallas. Zac Funk this year is more or less the same story. Ondrej Becher went undrafted and still is unsigned by any NHL team but put up almost 100 this year. Hudson Thornton undrafted 20yr old defensemen at over a ppg. Parascak walks on to the team this year and drops over a 100 pts.

Prince George is just bigger, older, smarter than other teams. They generate a ton of odd man rushes which is the main way they score. I would guess they probably they cheat forwards behind defenseman more to do so but idk.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
I'd actually be able to cheer for him. Can't do that if he's a Blackhawk, you know.

If everyone calling the hawks getting bedard wasn't enough, if it happens again you know this stupid game is on some level is rigged.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
baghead thx for your honest review. most posters lack any kind of opinion. cheers. i want posters to say what they would do if they were the wild gm. ps i think the wild lack some size currently.

Reactions: BagHead

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
So I’m hoping that we go 4-6 like we’re supposed to. That should land us the 13th pick and if there is even 1 surprise in the top 10 then someone good should fall to us. Buttons last draft ranking has Catton as the faller. That would be the steal of the draft at 13

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
So I’m hoping that we go 4-6 like we’re supposed to. That should land us the 13th pick and if there is even 1 surprise in the top 10 then someone good should fall to us. Buttons last draft ranking has Catton as the faller. That would be the steal of the draft at 13
3-7 is possible!

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00