2024 NHL Draft: Play with no weenie, for Celebrini

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
As of now we are picking 15th, which takes us out of the top talents, IMO.

I'm sure that there will be a talented NHL or three out of the 14-32 picks, but it gets really hard to determine who.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
As of now we are picking 15th, which takes us out of the top talents, IMO.

I'm sure that there will be a talented NHL or three out of the 14-32 picks, but it gets really hard to determine who.
This would be the range where I highly consider Sennecke.

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
A lot of guys could fall and one likely will but I think most people have Adam Jiricek around where the Wild could end up picking and thats a home run swing i could get behind.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
It feels like #11 is the last pick of a tier with good chance to be a core player whether its helenius, parekh, buium, or whoever that ends up there.

I dont think the Wild can get there realisitically. I think they're pretty well locked into this next group from #12 to #19 where there's players like greentree, brandsegg-nygaard, yakemchuk, ritchie, jiricek, iginla, connelly

it really is going to be the least surprising thing in the world when the Wild pick Brandsegg-Nygaard at #14 lol.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
It feels like #11 is the last pick of a tier with good chance to be a core player whether its helenius, parekh, buium, or whoever that ends up there.

I dont think the Wild can get there realisitically. I think they're pretty well locked into this next group from #12 to #19 where there's players like greentree, brandsegg-nygaard, yakemchuk, ritchie, jiricek, iginla, connelly

it really is going to be the least surprising thing in the world when the Wild pick Brandsegg-Nygaard at #14 lol.
Maybe I'm out to lunch, but I'll be surprised if either of Yakemchuk or Iginla are there still when the Wild pick. Which is too bad, because I'm high on both, and would take either of them around #10 (much less 13-15). I don't know enough about the others to be excited or disappointed, except Connelly, who I think 57special has successfully turned me off of.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Being at #14 certainly takes us out of the preferred options, unless a few teams picking prior to that go off the board. I think a big RHD like Yakemchuk will be attractive to GM's, and will be part of a top 6 D group.

Hard to say how i'd feel about a Jiricek pick....I mean what can you say about a guy who misses a complete year due to injury? You can feel sorry for him, but also wonder what you are getting.

Connelly...oof. Best he goes to a franchise where hockey is an afterthought, and the spotlight is not on him.

Greentree....he'd be my pick at #14. I also don't mind MBN.

Iginla will be gone, i think?

If we are at #14, I would contemplate moving back if the deal is good enough. I am sure there will be a couple/few difference makes available at #14, but it's anyone's guess who they will be. Could be a 2nd rounder, or a late 1st rounder, or, one of Jiricek/Connelly/Greentree/somerandomEuro.

Certainly was a lot more exciting contemplating our options at pick #8-9.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I’m so glad Guerin pushed all his chips in on this core and got us all the way to pick 14. Awesome work Billy big Balls

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Being at #14 certainly takes us out of the preferred options, unless a few teams picking prior to that go off the board. I think a big RHD like Yakemchuk will be attractive to GM's, and will be part of a top 6 D group.

Hard to say how i'd feel about a Jiricek pick....I mean what can you say about a guy who misses a complete year due to injury? You can feel sorry for him, but also wonder what you are getting.

Connelly...oof. Best he goes to a franchise where hockey is an afterthought, and the spotlight is not on him.

Greentree....he'd be my pick at #14. I also don't mind MBN.

Iginla will be gone, i think?

If we are at #14, I would contemplate moving back if the deal is good enough. I am sure there will be a couple/few difference makes available at #14, but it's anyone's guess who they will be. Could be a 2nd rounder, or a late 1st rounder, or, one of Jiricek/Connelly/Greentree/somerandomEuro.

Certainly was a lot more exciting contemplating our options at pick #8-9.
I did a little looking into Greentree today. He's an interesting one. I don't think he'll be a star, or even the best offensive guy on his line, but I think he'll be a player. For anyone who hasn't paid attention to him:
  • He has the size and production you'd want.
  • His shot looks good, his playmaking looks good too. Not an amazing pass, but he has an awareness of where to put it and when.
  • His skating left me feeling a little unsure. He looks like he has OHL-average speed, but is able to combine it with good acceleration, balance, and power to beat defenders.
    • In 1-on-1 situations, his speed was mostly matched by the defender's and it led to him relying on his power to beat them.
    • In tight, he was explosive enough to create separation.
    • He's not Andrew Brunette-bad at skating, but might be a young Mikko Koivu at it.
  • His offensive zone play was pretty smart. His tools are mostly just good, but he puts them to good use because he seems to know how and, more importantly, when to use them. He knows where to be, with and without the puck, and plays a simple, effective game.
  • In an interview I watched, he was humble and open about his game, his strengths, and his deficiencies. The term "coachable" comes to mind.
  • I was not able to get a feel for his defensive game.

Reactions: Sweetnut

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I did a little looking into Greentree today. He's an interesting one. I don't think he'll be a star, or even the best offensive guy on his line, but I think he'll be a player. For anyone who hasn't paid attention to him:
  • He has the size and production you'd want.
  • His shot looks good, his playmaking looks good too. Not an amazing pass, but he has an awareness of where to put it and when.
  • His skating left me feeling a little unsure. He looks like he has OHL-average speed, but is able to combine it with good acceleration, balance, and power to beat defenders.
    • In 1-on-1 situations, his speed was mostly matched by the defender's and it led to him relying on his power to beat them.
    • In tight, he was explosive enough to create separation.
    • He's not Andrew Brunette-bad at skating, but might be a young Mikko Koivu at it.
  • His offensive zone play was pretty smart. His tools are mostly just good, but he puts them to good use because he seems to know how and, more importantly, when to use them. He knows where to be, with and without the puck, and plays a simple, effective game.
  • In an interview I watched, he was humble and open about his game, his strengths, and his deficiencies. The term "coachable" comes to mind.
  • I was not able to get a feel for his defensive game.
The hope is that he is the next Jason Robertson. I see a lot of the same traits, though no one can expect that level of player. JR was a 2nd round pick because of his skating, but every time i saw him i saw a guy who always made the right play. Greetree has a bit of that, to me. His weakness is supposed to be his skating, just like Wood's was.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
im worried guerin will reach again for a big center like jecho, IF demidov falls to #11 i'd trade ALOT to get him. at #14 we should still pick an "ok" player.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
im worried guerin will reach again for a big center like jecho, IF demidov falls to #11 i'd trade ALOT to get him. at #14 we should still pick an "ok" player.
Demidov isn’t getting anywhere near 11 I don’t think.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
MBN does seem like a top-15(maybe 10) player for this team's board based on where they ranked Ohgren a couple years ago, I have him at 19 and would be upset if we took him over Greentree(13 for me, a tier higher), but it is something I would fully expect this group to do. After Greentree though I'm looking to trade down if a 1+2 this year is possible, don't care if its ~30 and 60, especially if we feel good about signing the Russians, there's 4 in the 14-33 range for me, and I dock them to the bottom of their tiers.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
MBN does seem like a top-15(maybe 10) player for this team's board based on where they ranked Ohgren a couple years ago, I have him at 19 and would be upset if we took him over Greentree(13 for me, a tier higher), but it is something I would fully expect this group to do. After Greentree though I'm looking to trade down if a 1+2 this year is possible, don't care if its ~30 and 60, especially if we feel good about signing the Russians, there's 4 in the 14-33 range for me, and I dock them to the bottom of their tiers.
Where do you have Iginla in your rankings?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I can definitely see BG wanting Greentree because of his size. I like MBN, and he is a good size, as well as Hemming and Jiricek, among others.

I won't complain if they take Jiricek, as 6'3" RHD who can skate and are skilled are hard to find, but it's hard to judge a guy who hasn't played for almost all of the season.

If we are picking we are going to be getting a guy with warts. The top talent is in the first 11-12. Unless we start losing a lot, or teams like CAL/BUF start winning, then we aren't going to be picking there. Picking at #14 we also don't get even a slim chance at Celebrini.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He grabbed Wallstedt and Yurov when they fell.
and Boldy. Same with Heidt. Stramel is the only WTF, F Jo type pick. Someone was obviously influenced by his size, position, and combine results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad