HF Habs: 2024 Draft- Who do you pick?

Who do you pick at 6th overall?

• Total voters

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
Sorry but it's going to take a lot more than not failing on a 1st OA to make me confident with our scouting/development team. We can't solely depend on top 5 picks either. Fortunately, guys like Hutson and Fowler look promising.
That's fair, I do think our biggest problem has always been our 1st and 2nd rounders not panning out the way we'd hoped. I feel our late round picks have had quite a bit of success relative to other clubs (but I don't have any stats to back me up here so I can be wrong).

Evans, Gallagher, RHP, Roy, Pezzetta, and Primeau. I know Roy, Primeau, and RHP are still young but all have already outperformed what they were projected to be by virtue of where they were drafted.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Should be at 5th now! And, I think Lindstrom is there. Injury concerns is going to drop him. Demidov could be there as well, same as Michkov. One thing is for sure....we have no idea how this could shake out.

It sounds crazy, but I have yet to see anyone on this site, correctly predict all top 10 picks. There are risers and there are fallers.

Random tankathon....

1. Cgy - Macklin
2. San Jose - Levshunov
3. Chicago - Iginla (perfect pairing for Bedard)
4. Ducks - Parekh
5. Jackets - Eiserman
6. Habs - Demidov/Lindstrom
7. Arizona - Lindstrom/Demidov
8. Sens - Dickinson
9. Buffalo - Silayev
10. Jersey - Catton

I wouldn't bet the farm on this happening....but it wouldn't surprise me.
Haven't done it this year

Here's mine

1. BUF - Celebrini
2. CHI - Levshunov
3. SJ - Demidov
4. ANA - Dickinson
5. CBJ - Lindstrom
6. MTL - Iginla
7. ARI - Parekh
8. OTT - Silyaev
9. CGY - Buium
10. NJD - Helenius

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
If Tig Iginla performs well against this Cougars team in the next series, his stock is going to skyrocket to top 6, he's up against a great team

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
It's usually as it goes. Theres a very low failure rate in the top 10-15.

21 had Boucher, because he was an egregious reach. From 29 to 10.
'20 looks to have his first bust at 27. If Barron can at least carve out a career as a journeyman.
'19 looks to have 4 bust inside the top 10
'18 looks to have 3.
'17 has none in the first 13 picks, with Patrick retiring because of injuries, but clearly being good enough to play in the NHL.

Scouting is becoming better and better as the years go by.
Scouting is getting better, but it's a little early to judge. You wouldn't consider our own Lias Andersson a bust in 2017? He got some NHL games in, and he's a serviceable AHL player, but he's not looking good for a top 10 pick at 25. He can't crack the lineup of a bottom 5 team that's thin on forwards.

What do you consider a bust? No NHL games played? Not top 6/top4/starter? I'd give very different answers for top 10 or top 15 picks vs second round or later. Andersson would be a fine second or third round pick, but he makes the group who took him at 7 look a little rough.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I'd also massively question a San Jose group that hasn't picked a defenseman forever that would willingly go out of their rebuild with a forward group of Smith, Eklund and Demidov.

That's so soft.
Makes sense

But

Having two high IQ offensive wizards on one line can also just go bonkers

Think Point and Kucherov as an example

I'd also think of the possibility of Demidov playing with Bedard, the potential for constant magic is insane enough to say f*** it, let's get D or grit next year or via free agency

I would hate it if Buffalo won Celebrini.
To be fair my first random was Habs winning, don't wanna look biased lol

Reactions: waitin425

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Has Iginla moved so much, to be considered above Lindstrom, Eisernan or Demidov, and even in the top 10?

Is there a possibility where Montreal could pick Catton at 6-7ish, and then trade two first-round picks (Winnipeg and Calgary) to move to 12-14th and pick Iginla as well if he is available, assuming Winnipeg is in the low 20?
For me, in order....Demidov, Iginla, Lindstrom and Eiserman. Having said...I don't believe in dropping Eiserman after the top 10. I won't do it.

My biggest problem right now.....where I put Catton. I had Catton top 3 in my last top 15. I didn't like his playoffs as short as they were. Would the U -18 help me? We will see. But chances are, he drops. And I could make room for Iginla as high as top 3. Celebrini-Demidov-Iginla.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Scouting is getting better, but it's a little early to judge. You wouldn't consider our own Lias Andersson a bust in 2017? He got some NHL games in, and he's a serviceable AHL player, but he's not looking good for a top 10 pick at 25. He can't crack the lineup of a bottom 5 team that's thin on forwards.

What do you consider a bust? No NHL games played? Not top 6/top4/starter? I'd give very different answers for top 10 or top 15 picks vs second round or later. Andersson would be a fine second or third round pick, but he makes the group who took him at 7 look a little rough.
No, I missed Andersson thats for sure. So that makes one in 17. Id say anything that isn't NHL regular for 400ish games is a bust.

Reactions: dcyhabs

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
No, I missed Andersson thats for sure. So that makes one in 17. Id say anything that isn't NHL regular for 400ish games is a bust.
You're right, though. Drafting is way, way better than 20 years ago. Shows I'm getting old, I still think of drafts in '90s terms when half the (edit: top 10) guys would bust.

Kotkaniemi wasn't a great pick but missing Zadina was a good thing. Plus/minus is suspect but he was -44 with 23 points, worst on the team and I doubt he was getting tough minutes. San Jose did OK with Bystedt.

I think Silayev is a fit for the habs, even with all the D. Both other D could be interesting as well, they really tore up their leagues. Eiserman is polarizing and I haven't decided on a pole. Catton and Iginla look good so far, and I don't know enough about either to compare. I wouldn't be upset if they take a D this year. The habs should have some cap space to sign a middle six or two by the time they expect to compete. Helenius is fine, but maybe not an ideal fit.

Last edited:

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Lindstrom - Dach - Roy

So if Dach gets injured, we have the option of playing Lindstrom 2C and moving up Newhook. I think a center line of Suzuki, Dach / Lindstrom, Beck, Xhekaj is a wet dream. We've been so weak at center for SO long.
That works, 100%.

Reactions: Habs13

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Here's mine

1. BUF - Celebrini

5. CBJ - Lindstrom
6. MTL - Iginla
If we draft 5th, there is a chance that Lindstrom is on the board. And in case he’s gone before the Habs pick, then Iginla.

Lindstrom is exactly the type of profile most teams value. It will depend on how many earlier drafting teams opt for a D.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
1712605036876.png

Reactions: MasterMatt25

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
For me, in order....Demidov, Iginla, Lindstrom and Eiserman. Having said...I don't believe in dropping Eiserman after the top 10. I won't do it.

My biggest problem right now.....where I put Catton. I had Catton top 3 in my last top 15. I didn't like his playoffs as short as they were. Would the U -18 help me? We will see. But chances are, he drops. And I could make room for Iginla as high as top 3. Celebrini-Demidov-Iginla.
There's imo no reality where no dmen goes top 3. That would be a huge surprise.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Anything that is not at least a good top 6 player should be considered a bust in the top 5 and then i'd say anything that is not a quality top 9 should be a bust in the top 15 or so (6 to 15).

If we go by that and we do 2010 to 2015 we subjectively get :

2010 : 4 bust in the top 15
2011 : 3 bust in the top 15
2012 : 7 bust in the top 15 (the Galchenyuk year one of the worst draft in modern hockey probably)
2013 : 2 bust in the top 15
2014 : 6 bust in the top 15
2015 : 3 bust in the top 15

I think lot of our fans undervalue how valuable top 15 picks are. The chance for a quality NHL player are very good specially in a good draft year like this year. I'd suspect no more than 3-4 players will bust in the top 15 this year. It's a very good top 15.

Reactions: dcyhabs

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
I'm wondering to others who would know better than I , why Eiserman is dropping down peoples lists? He seems like he could be the best pure goal scorer in the draft and has pretty good size, what's exactly the issue?

I'm not advocating we take him if available, but am curious as to why he's falling out of favour on many fans lists.

Last edited:

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I'm wondering to others who would know better than I , why Eiserman is dropping down peoples lists? He seems like he could be the best pure goal scorer in the draft and has pretty good size, what's exactly the issue?

Mainly due to him being one dimensional, his effort is not always being there and he often floats around, plus he hasn't shown much willingness to improve defensively.

He could very well improve with the right coach and end up being a more complete player and make a lot of teams look stupid for passing on him, however right now he looks a lot like a Mike Hoffman who has an excellent shot but provides not much else.

• Wow
Reactions: HabbyGuy

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

I'm not advocating we take him if available, but am curious as to why he's falling out of favour on many fans lists.

Asking the question is answering it, kind of.

If he is an Elite goal scorer but he is falling, it means that people question every other part of his game. No desire, no intensity, perimeter player, not much other part that translate well other than his goalscoring ability.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
For some reason I thought Zayne Parekh was smaller than he is. His hi-light reals are pretty impressive. I love watching Cale Makar and if he tops out at the same level.....:nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad