Proposal: 2024 1st overall Pick to Montréal

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Even when you blame Mike Matheson for the PP struggles, it's still not okay to blame Mike Matheson.

Lmao.

The Habs PP sucks, everyone is to blame. The sharks power play is QB'd by Calen Addison and still manages to convert at 20%.

Somehow you manage to blame nobody lmao
Why would i blame an individual(s) when the issue is that the Habs have missing pieces? Perhaps Calen Addison would have been a huge help to the Habs if he was a Hab. I bet he would. Mike Matheson is not a PP QB. I'm not blaming him. That's like blaming Holtz for not having high-level offensive talent. Its not his fault.

Somehow you still don't understand how a PP works. You blame individuals but don't understand that the Habs PP is missing a key piece (QB) and a shooter on the point (potentially Reinbacher or Mailloux in the future).

There is a reason the Habs sucked this season. The young, inexperienced D corps was a major part of it plus a lack of a 2nd line.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I could see it next draft but the only surefire center in the top 5 is Lindstrom who has back issues and if I'm you guys I'd stay away it could be nothing but if it isn't that's essentially a wasted pick after him is catton who would definitely make a great wingman for Bedard but if I'm Chicago I'm looking at hagens, McQueen, Misa, frondell and ryabkin you guys are probably going to be drafting top 10 in 26 still since it's a barebones rebuild and I imagine you guys start to structure your roster to exit the rebuild when CB98 gets his contract
I think the Habs would be happy with Demidov / Iginla / Eiserman or Catton. Doesn't have to be a C. Habs have committed to Dach and he demonstrated he is capable of 2C production. Just injuries shutdownhis season.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Why would i blame an individual(s) when the issue is that the Habs have a missing piece. Perhaps Calen Addison would have been a huge help to the Habs if he was a Hab. I bet he would. Mike Matheson is not a PP QB. I'm not blaming him. That's like blaming Holtz for not having high-level offensive talent. Its not his fault.

Somehow you still don't understand how a PP works. You blame individuals but don't understand that the Habs PP is missing a key piece (QB) and a shooter on the point (potentially Reinbacher in the future).

There is a reason the Habs sucked this season. The young, inexperienced D corps was a major part of it plus a lack of a 2nd line.

So you believe the habs are missing 2/5 pieces of a successful power play, but will give credit to the guys on the team who fill those roles ineffectively for doing said job ineffectively?

Sounds like your GM should have done his job better and traded for Addison when he was available for basically free this year since it was so clear a PP QB was needed

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
I think the Habs would be happy with Demidov / Iginla / Eiserman or Catton. Doesn't have to be a C. Habs have committed to Dach and he demonstrated he is capable of 2C production. Just injuries shutdownhis season.
Oops thought you were a hawks fan either way you guys have a good top 6 in slaf, Suzuki, and cc catton would be perfect for you guys demimedov as well could drive the 2nd line with dach

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
So you believe the habs are missing 2/5 pieces of a successful power play, but will give credit to the guys on the team who fill those roles ineffectively for doing said job ineffectively?
I don't understand your premise. Habs are missing key pieces to the PP and as a result were below average. Those key pieces are hopefully in the pipeline (Mailloux / Hutson / Reinbacher). The PP will improve with time and development.

There is nothing more to say on that topic. Credit to guys on the PP is irrelevant. Unless you have an agenda to attempt to smear a player. Then go knock yourself out. It only highlights your agenda which is comical and pathetic.

Oops thought you were a hawks fan either way you guys have a good top 6 in slaf, Suzuki, and cc catton would be perfect for you guys demimedov as well could drive the 2nd line with dach
I like Catton, but i have really taken to Tij Iginla. Maybe because i have seen a lot more of his games. I just see Tij being a piece that would raise his game in the playoffs. If the Habs picked Catton, i would be happy. I would be thrilled more for Demidov. I would be concerned if they picked Lindstrom. He looks plodding and lacks a dynamic element to his game. And of course injuries.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me to see them pick Lev if they think he's the next Makar.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I don't understand your premise. Habs are missing key pieces to the PP and as a result were below average. Those key pieces are hopefully in the pipeline (Mailloux / Hutson / Reinbacher). The PP will improve with time and development.

There is nothing more to say on that topic. Credit to guys on the PP is irrelevant. Unless you have an agenda to attempt to smear a player. Then go knock yourself out. It only highlights your agenda which is comical.
I very much like Juraj Slafkovsky. If you'd bothered to read instead of viewing any evaluation of his play other than "wow he's the next wayne gretzky" as a slight, you'd have seen that.

19 year olds have flaws in their game. That's the way it is.

Juraj Slafkovsky is an excellent future, and has been excellent this past year.

However:

As of right now he is still more of a passenger than a driver (this is okay, very few 19 year olds can be true drivers, and he shows very very good signs and flashes of quality play driving, I have no doubts that he will become an excellent play driver)
As of right now he has a significant problem with penalties
As of right now he is still not yet a difference maker on special teams
As of right now he still has defensive deficiencies

All of the above are simply looking at a player and being realistic about his strengths and limitations.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
The 2nd line is the issue. Dach appears to be 2C-ready. Newhook has shown potential to provide 2C level production from the wing. But there's a gap. Demidov / Catton / Iginla could be the missing piece there. Even a talent like Eiserman. This draft should be good for forwards up to ~8th pick.

Yes, Celebrini is imo better than Smith due to his strong 2-way game but the difference is not 2 OA
Celebrini is night and day better than Smith offensively and defensively. Even so, i still take Smith + SJ 2nd over all. You can plug a lot of holes with Smith + 2OA.

Reactions: Faceboner

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Let’s not mince words here..the 1st overall this year with Mack is a big deal. There are other talented players. But this is the Celebrini draft.

The best way for Montreal to get him is to win the lottery. It’s not great odds. But it’s not zero odds.

You luck out and you’ve got a franchise center etc on the way. You miss out and you add another probably high end pick and the rebuild continues on course.

There’s very little chance you’ll end up with Celebrini any other way.

Reactions: viceroy and pth2

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Habs fans: "We want a 1st overall pick."
Habs moms: "We have a 1st overall pick at home."

The 1st overall pick at home:
Juraj-Slafkovsky-taunts-Josh-Brown.jpg

Ledge And Dairy

The 2nd line is the issue. Dach appears to be 2C-ready. Newhook has shown potential to provide 2C level production from the wing. But there's a gap. Demidov / Catton / Iginla could be the missing piece there. Even a talent like Eiserman. This draft should be good for forwards up to ~8th pick.

Celebrini is night and day better than Smith offensively and defensively. Even so, i still take Smith + SJ 2nd over all. You can plug a lot of holes with Smith + 2OA.
It's not night and day. They are the same age and Smith is clearly outproducing him, albeit on a better team. Again I take Celebrini over Smith but they really aren't that far apart

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
No Bouboumaster that's a bad bad boy! Bad boy you Boubou, you stop that right now!

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Roy - Celebrini - Dach
Armia - Newhook - Gallagher
Who cares - Evans - Whatever

Is a solid line-up IMO

On defense, we have already have everything we want, we just have to wait a little bit

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Roy - Celebrini - Dach
Armia - Newhook - Gallagher
Who cares - Evans - Whatever

Is a solid line-up IMO

On defense, we have already have everything we want, we just have to wait a little bit
I feel bad for Anderson, though if "Who cares" and "Whatever" out played him for the spot then it's his fault.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Habs have a bunch of extra picks this year. They probably offer them all to move up on Jets pick to select somebody they like who slid in draft. From 23 to 15 or so.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
And so just to be clear, assuming Lane Hutson takes over PP1 next year, with the same rest of the unit.

If the unit remains a bad unit, you will not credit Hutson for any counting stats PP points he may rack up on a bad unit?
Unit won’t remain the same. Dach will be back. Slaf only really started to produce mid December and Newhook was out ~3 months.

The extra year of development, maturity and experience will help this unit. When you think about it, at the start of the season, they were still a very young unit;

Slafkovsky (19), Caufield (22), Dach (22), Suzuki (24) and Matheson (29).

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Hypothetically if I’m the leafs and somehow had the 1st overall pick I’d take that in a heartbeat that’d completely rebuild our Barron prospect pool. I’d just take Celibrini if I’m Buffalo tho

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If it was Anaheim with 1st overall would have to be
Reinbacher + Canadians 1st

Anything less and I’ll comfortably take celebrini

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

That would get Anaheim two top 4 defenseman.

If is was Carlsson or Fantilli, I would do that trade. Celebrini? I'm not sold on that he's a NHL level 1C. Definatly not at those two level.

I don't think past Celebrini there is high quality top 6 so if the forwards are taken, I can see Hughes picking ANOTHER defenseman we don't need. On the other hand, picking on need is asking for a Kokameini repeat.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I feel bad for Anderson, though if "Who cares" and "Whatever" out played him for the spot then it's his fault.

I avoided talking shit about Anderson because I felt like he was bringing things other than scoring to the team, until recently.

I'm done with him. What I'd hope is that St-Louis send him to the Rocket, where he could rediscover himself there, like Armia

Armia is playing really, really well since he was sent down. He probably needed this kick in the butt to wake him up. Now he's invested in all facets of the game, and also put points.

I wish the same happen with Anderson. But right now, Anderson is absolutly f***ing useless

Habs pass on Mitchkov to get Reinbacher, so we can safely say that Reinbacher ain't going nowhere

Would there be anything else that could be done? I thought that Anaheim was loaded with d prospects anyway?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad