Proposal: 2024 1st overall Pick to Montréal

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
id make this one as a habs fan, but no one ever trades the 1st and while its probably an overpay the other teams wouldn’t take it

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
id keep the 1st overall. both habs picks probably end up in the 4-10 range which can mean the difference between landing and elite talent or not landing one.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
As a Habs fan it is an easy yes but for another team they will easily pass. You just have to think if Celebrini is a great talent. I think he will be a great player but maybe not a superstar. 90 point range top line center I think is where he falls.

To break the trade down:

Barron : let’s be real here. He needs to pass through waivers next year and he hasn’t proven to be a regular NHl defencemen yet. He is a tweener where he is good in the AHL and then hit and miss in the NHL. He can and very likely will still improve but he is far from a very valuable asset.

Habs first rounder - as of today pre lottery it is #5 overall. You will get a great player here but the Habs need a forward and everyone available here has question marks. Demidov… Russian factor and small. Lindstrom… injury concerns. Catton… small. Iginla… what is his ceiling. If a team needs a defenceman then this pick looks a lot more enticing.

Jets first rounder - they are currently 7th overall in the NHL. Even if they lose in the first round you are drafting #20 or later. This years draft I am not huge after pick 13 or so.

Next years 1st and 2nd - I expect the Habs to be better next year. Not playoffs better but better. Celebrini would help, Dach played three games this season and his return would help, young defence who could take a step forward, not carrying the three goalie tandem. Pearson, Edmundson and Alzner come off the books and that is around 6 million in cap space right there. If Montreal is drafting #5 this year I could see them drafting #10-12 next year. Also making their second rounder around #40-45.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Team X trade:
2024 1st pick overall

Montréal Trade:
Montréal 2024 1st pick
Winnipeg 2024 1st pick
Montréal 2025 1st pick
Montréal 2025 2nd pick
Justin Barron

Let's f***ing go

why are the habs giving up so much. The first overall pick this year is not a generational talent. Celebrini looks to be good but he stands out against a weak group

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Not a faire trade because there’s too much risk Habs are a bubble team next year. If you’s had a guarantee it’s a top 5 lottery pick next year might be close value wise, but even then, to get this done you need to overpay

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Team X trade:
2024 1st pick overall

Montréal Trade:
Montréal 2024 1st pick
Winnipeg 2024 1st pick
Montréal 2025 1st pick
Montréal 2025 2nd pick
Justin Barron

Let's f***ing go
Ill be honest; id cringe at that trade from the habs point of view (thats a lot of future there!), but it would not be enough.

Let's go on the basis that it is a certainty that Celebrini will have a solid career and be a superstar in the nhl that ends up deserving a 10/year+ contract in his future. Why would team X:
  • think that this package benefits team X more than this player? Those 1sts have way less certainty of making the nhl
  • sell on #1 overall for less than they would get off a hostile offer at his first real contract?
  • Accept the risk of picks? They would ask for known values; that means a guhle, hutson, etc.

Ledge And Dairy

why are the habs giving up so much. The first overall pick this year is not a generational talent. Celebrini looks to be good but he stands out against a weak group
Ignorance much? This draft class is only considered "weak" because of the drop off after pick ~25. Celebrini is putting up numbers similar to Eichel and Fantilli. His game is also extremely well-rounded like Barkov. He arguably would have gone 2nd OA last year. Also the defense in this years class are very good. The top of this years draft class is probably on par with 2019.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
If a team at #2 or #3 is wary about drafting Demidov I think that's the discussion worth having, 1st overalls don't move. If Anaheim remains in 3rd and it goes Celebrini-Levshunov, I could actually see that being a possibility just because I don't feel like Verbeek would be very interested in Demidov
I wouldn't trade this package from Montreal but also wouldn't be surprised if SJ or Chicago or whoever turned it down

He goes at latest 4th over Will Smith if he was in last year's draft, he's not Bedard but he can be a franchise centerpiece

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
lol i find the addition of Barron is hilarious here. It's like saying "ill buy that hockey card for 3 1000$ bills, a 100$ dollar bill...........and a dime

Maybe he can be useful for someone else lol
He's a rhd with a good pedigree, but he won't see Time with the Habs, with Reinbacher and Mailloux coming up

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Celebrini will be a franchise player , you can't buy that.
As a habs fan i would make that trade in a heart beat

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
What if we replace Montréal 2025 2nd by Calgary 2025 1st?

That would be 4 X 1rst round picks for Celebrini

Barron can be replaced by any prospect not named Roy, Mailloux, Reinbacher, Fowler and Hutson

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Team X trade:
2024 1st pick overall

Montréal Trade:
Montréal 2024 1st pick
Winnipeg 2024 1st pick
Montréal 2025 1st pick
Montréal 2025 2nd pick
Justin Barron

Let's f***ing go
Value wise... not bad. Not bad at all. I'd want to clarify the protections on the 2025 1st to be nothing more than top 4 protected, but otherwise... It's a strong offer.

Reactions: Doublechin

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
I hate the Habs, but not enough that they should ever make a deal as bad as that.
Celebrini is good, but, not special.

Reactions: Doublechin

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
#1 team easily says no.

However, I also think this would not be the best move for MTL. We already have what looks like a promising young 1st line so getting more picks to fill out the bottom 9, the D and the G positions with quality player might be a better bet. Of course, if we win the lottery we happily take it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad