GDT: 2023 World Junior Championship Thread (Clarke, Connors, Salin)

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
2dnk97.jpg

I got no time for an argument saying a 19 year old blue chip prospect is fine not playing games for months because he's getting to practice
You are 100% correct. It takes a tremendous amount of discipline for even a seasoned pro to hone his skills during practice. There is no way to match the intensity and speed of an AHL or major junior game in an NHL practice.

Reactions: Schrute farms

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
2dnk97.jpg

I got no time for an argument saying a 19 year old blue chip prospect is fine not playing games for months because he's getting to practice
"Who cares that he hasn't played any meaningful hockey in over 6 weeks despite being healthy. He got to practice!"

A 19 year-old essentially being healthy scratched in all levels of competition is a waste of a chunk of his season. You have to be deliberately obtuse to defend it.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
"Who cares that he hasn't played any meaningful hockey in over 6 weeks despite being healthy. He got to practice!"

A 19 year-old essentially being healthy scratched in all levels of competition is a waste of a chunk of his season. You have to be deliberately obtuse to defend it.
The only 2 things I can think off to even try and explain it other then inept management are:

Injury - something they didn’t want to get out to derail his team Canada chances

Or

Nutrition/ nurture - they wanted to try and bulk the kid up as he is scrawny and seems to get hit a lot. Try and pack in 5 to 10 over the course of a few months while having an extended chance to learn the system.

Ya, grasping at straws. Doesn’t make any sense.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The only 2 things I can think off to even try and explain it other then inept management are:

Injury - something they didn’t want to get out to derail his team Canada chances

Or

Nutrition/ nurture - they wanted to try and bulk the kid up as he is scrawny and seems to get hit a lot. Try and pack in 5 to 10 over the course of a few months while having an extended chance to learn the system.

Contract status, too.

Though you would think at some point his agent/PA would make some noise.

The issue is these guys constantly think they're the smartest dudes in the room and re-invent development for every top prospect, but this is by far the strangest I have ever seen for a top-10 pick.

And as it pertains to the WJC, he hasn't had game action in a month until now, so I'd expect him to be in full flight by the end of the tourney.

Reactions: funky

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
Contract status, too.

Though you would think at some point his agent/PA would make some noise.

The issue is these guys constantly think they're the smartest dudes in the room and re-invent development for every top prospect, but this is by far the strangest I have ever seen for a top-10 pick.

And as it pertains to the WJC, he hasn't had game action in a month until now, so I'd expect him to be in full flight by the end of the tourney.
Makes me wonder if there’s a maturity/attitude issue with him. We love the prospect and hate how he’s being handled but there are a few indicators (though they seem minor from the fan’s view) that MAY suggest he’s got issues other than hockey skill. He’s an elite high end D prospect and team Canada skipped over him more than once. There’s random speculation as to why, but all anyone says is “Team Canada is shady, they have a grudge against our guy!!”

Obviously I don’t know anything, and I have no issue believing the Kings are lousy at developing high end draft talent but both Team Canada AND the Kings are shelving this dude whenever they can. Maybe everyone is out to get Brandt, but there could be issues we don’t know about.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

Or

Or perhaps they had a trade or 2 in the works that unexpectedly broke down. I’m playing devils advocate because for whatever reason it’s less than an ideal scenario for our blue chip D prospect. No one will convince me he doesn’t warrant waiving Walker to get him games.

Reactions: funky

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Makes me wonder if there’s a maturity/attitude issue with him. We love the prospect and hate how he’s being handled but there are a few indicators (though they seem minor from the fan’s view) that MAY suggest he’s got issues other than hockey skill. He’s an elite high end D prospect and team Canada skipped over him more than once. There’s random speculation as to why, but all anyone says is “Team Canada is shady, they have a grudge against our guy!!”

Obviously I don’t know anything, and I have no issue believing the Kings are lousy at developing high end draft talent but both Team Canada AND the Kings are shelving this dude whenever they can. Maybe everyone is out to get Brandt, but there could be issues we don’t know about.

I'm pretty convinced he's got some sort of attitude but if the Kings interviewed him and still picked him and are now like "wait a minute" that's on them

Reactions: kinghock

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

I'm pretty convinced he's got some sort of attitude but if the Kings interviewed him and still picked him and are now like "wait a minute" that's on them
Eh, I suppose he could have some attitude problem. Not going to rule it out... but I have a hard time thinking that someone who helped bring the team together amidst a teammate's murder in AAA suddenly has some attitude issue.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Given how I've seen Clarke in interviews I can see how that might rub some teams the wrong way, but the skill and hockey IQ is evident every time he's out on the ice. But you know even after the loss last night, he's the one doing the postgame interview and not Wright who is the captain

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
FWIW, Drew Doughty was an 18 year old arrogant prick who didn’t think he needed to hit the gym. He toyed with the OHL his draft year because he was bored, and kinda under performed to his relative potential.

Once that got reigned in, we all know how the rest turned out. It’s a major reason why the culture brought about by guys like Greene and Stoll is so important to organizational success. It ain’t all points and highlight reel hits.

Sometimes, that arrogance is a good thing, when it can be controlled.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
You are 100% correct. It takes a tremendous amount of discipline for even a seasoned pro to hone his skills during practice. There is no way to match the intensity and speed of an AHL or major junior game in an NHL practice.
Not only that, the Kings compacted early season schedule has afforded them less time to practice as a team than usual.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
2dnk97.jpg

And I have no time for an argument that states OMG he isn't playing any hockey at all.....for MONTHS at a time.....which is clearly FALSE as f***.....and using that as a reason why development is bad.....

Try again....this time with actual f***ing honesty....

LOL holy shit....it takes a tremendous....discipline...to practi.......jesus christ, the only thing you got remotely true was practices can not match the intensity of an NHL game....that part is true, the rest is just unadulterated bullshit.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Or

Could be BOTH.....his 9 games up here, he was getting crunched, regularly......and he was small to begin with, don't know how hard he got hit in the AHL.....but he could have gotten injured, could be nursing it,

There could be a whole plethora of reasons......but....naw, shit like that never makes any sense, it's that Rob Blake and whomever, don't know f***all about the game......and are doing everything they can to ruin the kid....cuz that's what makes the most sense? Right? (not saying those are your words)

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Please don't take the above as if I'm knocking Clarke for any sort of attitude issue, perceived or real.

I'm knocking the Kings saying if there IS one and they STILL picked him and that attitude is why he's being used stupidly, that's their fault, not Clarke's.

Reactions: KINGS17

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
There could be a whole plethora of reasons......but....naw, shit like that never makes any sense, it's that Rob Blake and whomever, don't know f***all about the game......and are doing everything they can to ruin the kid....cuz that's what makes the most sense? Right? (not saying those are your words)
I can speak for the clown show….YES, that definitely makes the most sense. Spot on, brother.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Please don't take the above as if I'm knocking Clarke for any sort of attitude issue, perceived or real.

I'm knocking the Kings saying if there IS one and they STILL picked him and that attitude is why he's being used stupidly, that's their fault, not Clarke's.

100% agree with this.....if there is an attitude, they should have known about it before hand.....absolutely,

I still didn't get an answer from you though as far as what you think a good development process is.....

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
100% agree with this.....if there is an attitude, they should have known about it before hand.....absolutely,

I still didn't get an answer from you though as far as what you think a good development process is.....

I don't think there's a hard and fast rule, but as others have said, it's stupid as hell to game it around contract status by having him play 9 NHL games, send him to the ahl for a month, then have him sit around for ANOTHER month before the WJC.

Sure maybe he was nursing and injury or hitting the gym or whatever but its' like this organization is allergic to giving high skill players high skill/minute reps and they keep trying to reinvent the wheel, Clarke's is the weirdest I've seen maybe ever. Juniors to Europe back here to the NHL to the AHL to the WJC maybe back to juniors?

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I don't think there's a hard and fast rule, but as others have said, it's stupid as hell to game it around contract status by having him play 9 NHL games, send him to the ahl for a month, then have him sit around for ANOTHER month before the WJC.

Sure maybe he was nursing and injury or hitting the gym or whatever but its' like this organization is allergic to giving high skill players high skill/minute reps and they keep trying to reinvent the wheel, Clarke's is the weirdest I've seen maybe ever. Juniors to Europe back here to the NHL to the AHL to the WJC maybe back to juniors?

Definitely not conventional.....but you saw him his 9 games in the NHL, did you think he was ready for a full season in the NHL? I sure as hell didn't, you can see he has the skill.....but my god he was getting bulldozed like no one's business....kid would not have lasted a full season right now.....so what other choice do they have? Send him to the OHL...sure.....can't send him to the AHL unless they use the conditioning assignment....and then stick him with the WJC....seems like that was the best plan......when the tournament is done, they might keep him and rotate him in and out, and my god the bitching that will cause.....but is that's what best for him?

Reactions: lumbergh

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020

Don't feed the animals
Please Do Not Feed The Animals Sign - F7735

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

I know when I was that age I loved going to practice. I didn't look forward to playing in the games nearly as much as I looked forward to practice, conditioning, and the weight room. I didn't need to play in actual games in order to figure out all the hard work I was putting in was making me better.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I know when I was that age I loved going to practice. I didn't look forward to playing in the games nearly as much as I looked forward to practice, conditioning, and the weight room. I didn't need to play in actual games in order to figure out all the hard work I was putting in was making me better.

Just gonna put this out there, there's a HUGE difference between your Junior E fantasies....and the best pro league on the planet......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad