GDT: 2023 World Junior Championship Thread (Clarke, Connors, Salin)

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
I have zero concrete knowledge of it, but based off the unearthing of the last few years, the politics inside Hockey Canada must be a f***ing nightmare to navigate even for the chosen ones.

What a shit show of organizational culture.
Canada's starting goalie tonight has a .868 save percentage in the OHL this year in 22 games, yet he's starting because of his connections to Hockey Canada. The bullshit favoritism that goes on in these organizations is ridiculous

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Makes sense... also why Clarke isnt getting a fair shake.. doesnt 'know' anyone on the inside
I have zero concrete knowledge of it, but based off the unearthing of the last few years, the politics inside Hockey Canada must be a f***ing nightmare to navigate even for the chosen ones.

Just did some looking because I was curious.

Out of the OHL, the only member of the coaching staff is one of their equipment managers. Everyone else is WHL and one QMJHL coach.

Consequently, these are the OHL players on Team Canada (20 teams in the OHL):
Shane Wright
Brandt Clarke
Ethan Del Mastro
Brennan Othmann
Jake Matier
Benjamin Gaudreau

QMJHL players (18 teams):
Tyson Hinds
Nathan Gaucher
Joshua Roy
Zach Dean

WHL players (22 teams):
Thomas Milic
Nolan Allen
Kevin Korchinski
Olen Zellweger
Caeden Bankier
Connor Bedard
Colton Dach
Dylan Guenther
Zack Ostapchuk
Reid Schaefer
Logan Stankoven

NCAA:
Adam Fantilli

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Canada's starting goalie tonight has a .868 save percentage in the OHL this year in 22 games, yet he's starting because of his connections to Hockey Canada. The bullshit favoritism that goes on in these organizations is ridiculous
For the sake of all the teams in the tournament hope he starts all the games. Lol.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
At least he got the rush of scoring it... he acquitted himself well all game I thought. Hopefully he ends up on PP1 and top pair.

He had that real good chance in the 2nd , where he dragged the puck around and flipped it on goal. I've seen him score that type of goal before.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
He had that real good chance in the 2nd , where he dragged the puck around and flipped it on goal. I've seen him score that type of goal before.
I saw that, it was a nice toe drag in close quarters to get shot off if he couldve waited a bit might of gone in

Czechs played a team game, while Canada tried a bunch of heropuck bullshit. Canada deserved to lose
I agree - thats a reflection of the coaching/leadership

Reactions: King'sPawn

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Oh ffs, I just realized why Zellweger is getting all the ice time (especially on the powerplay). Team Canada's head coach is his junior coach in Everett.

And yes, I do know that Zellweger is a good d-man, but he has not played well. But the coach is hitching his wagon to his top player from Junior.
Clarke is much more creating comparing to Zellweger

Reactions: KapG

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Welcome to minor hockey EVERYWHERE.......

Reactions: Schmooley

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Seeing Canada misuse Clarke after two years of snubbing him just makes me more angry than i initially was that this is Blake's 'development plan.'

Just total 4d chess big brain bullshit

Glad Canada got f***ing stuffed though, f*** that organization

LOL dude, gonna pick on you a bit......tell me...what's a "good" development plan....since you seem to think that everyone in LA has BAD development......so show me good......what goes into it, what is that decision tree look like to you?

Reactions: Axl Rhoadz

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Clarke is much more creating comparing to Zellweger
I really don’t see what’s with the buzz about Zellweger.

He is a solid smallish PMD, but I don’t understand anointing him the savior of the D and awarding him all the prime minutes. Reminds me of a Left shot Spence.

Coaching favoritism is a motherf***er.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Seeing Canada misuse Clarke after two years of snubbing him just makes me more angry than i initially was that this is Blake's 'development plan.'

Just total 4d chess big brain bullshit

Glad Canada got f***ing stuffed though, f*** that organization
Yeah. I'm rooting for Clarke to do well, but for Canada to do poorly. I think they need to do a major overhaul for how they handle and do things (not just the nepotism/player selection); A poor showing may get them into trying to blow it up.

Reactions: Schrute farms

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Weird-looking standings after day 1.
Group A:
Sweden - 3 Pts
Czechia - 3 Pts
Canada - 0 Pts
Austria - 0 Pts
Germany - 0 Pts

Group B:
USA - 3 Pts
Switzerland - 2 Pts
Finland - 1 Pt
Latvia - 0 Pts
Slovakia - 0 Pts

Tomorrow's schedule:
Finland (Salin) vs Slovakia
Germany vs Sweden
Switzerland vs Latvia
Austria vs Czechia

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
LOL dude, gonna pick on you a bit......tell me...what's a "good" development plan....since you seem to think that everyone in LA has BAD development......so show me good......what goes into it, what is that decision tree look like to you?
This will be good...

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
For starters, playing a blue chip 19 year old prospect in 5 AHL games over two months because you are trying to be cute with ELC years is not what's best for his development. He's 19, he should be playing hockey, not twiddling his thumbs in the pressbox since November 1st. They should have spaced out his 9 games better, so he wasn't shelved for so long. Even if they wanted to get him those games in Ontario, that could have been accomplished without him sitting for so long. Instead the "plan" looks to be extreme start and stop with very long periods of no hockey being played. Common damn sense should tell you that's not ideal

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
For starters, playing a blue chip 19 year old prospect in 5 AHL games over two months because you are trying to be cute with ELC years is not what's best for his development. He's 19, he should be playing hockey, not twiddling his thumbs in the pressbox since November 1st. They should have spaced out his 9 games better, so he wasn't shelved for so long. Even if they wanted to get him those games in Ontario, that could have been accomplished without him sitting for so long. Instead the "plan" looks to be extreme start and stop with very long periods of no hockey being played. Common damn sense should tell you that's not ideal

So...he hasn't been practicing? At all? Ever?

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
2dnk97.jpg

I got no time for an argument saying a 19 year old blue chip prospect is fine not playing games for months because he's getting to practice

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes