GDT: 2023 World Junior Championship Thread (Clarke, Connors, Salin)

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Thread to talk about the World Juniors. Only 3 Kings prospects involved this year after having years of having many prospects in the tournament.

Brandt Clarke (8th overall pick 2021) with Team Canada
Kenny Connors (103rd overall pick 2022) with Team USA
Otto Salin (148th overall pick 2022) with Team Finland.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Thread to talk about the World Juniors. Only 3 Kings prospects involved this year after having years of having many prospects in the tournament.

Brandt Clarke (8th overall pick 2021) with Team Canada
Kenny Connors (103rd overall pick 2022) with Team USA
Otto Salin (148th overall pick 2022) with Team Finland.
End of 1st between Finland and Switzerland. Low-event hockey, tied 0-0.

Salin barely noticeable out there... but same could be said for everyone.

Here's my preview article on MM: WJC Preview – LA Kings Prospects to Watch and Tournament Schedule

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It seems Finland is always that way. You don't notice them early on in tournaments and they are an afterthought to Canada, Russia, USA.....then at the end, there they are in the semi's.
True! They play a generally cohesive style where players don't stand out as much.

1-1 after 2. Both teams playing very disciplined and the goals have come from the rare defensive breakdown.

Salin not standing out, which isn't a complaint. He's largely been a non-factor offensively aside from a blocked shot attempt. Disciplined defensively, but also isn't tested much with Switzerland's talent level.

Reactions: kinghock

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
True! They play a generally cohesive style where players don't stand out as much.

1-1 after 2. Both teams playing very disciplined and the goals have come from the rare defensive breakdown.

Salin not standing out, which isn't a complaint. He's largely been a non-factor offensively aside from a blocked shot attempt. Disciplined defensively, but also isn't tested much with Switzerland's talent level.
Salin looks good to me.

He is good skater, physical and looks like 6”1 already.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
2-1 Switzerland. Salin was unable to control the puck leading to the scoring chance and subsequent rebound.

Not a good look for him, but even so, conclusions shouldn't be drawn from one play on one shift in one period in one game

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Switzerland with the early upset, topping Finland 3-2 in OT.

Edit: Salin had 16:40 TOI, 0 points, and was a minus-1.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
really disappointing period overall for the US. Cooley and Hughes trying to do everything , Latvia arguably with the better chances
Yeah. Latvia showing very good discipline and restraint. I still think the USA is able to out skill Latvia's discipline, but they won't be able to do so without more of a lunch pail attitude for the rest of the tournament.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Luke Hughes is really having a game to forget here, can’t keep the puck on his stick or stay on his feet.

Going to need a lot more from him if the US wants a medal here.

OFC he scores the minute I post this.

Last edited:
Reactions: King'sPawn

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Clarke has, as expected, looked dangerous in the offensive zone. He pinches confidently, knowing another forward will cover for him. Consequently, he has created a lot of chances.

Reactions: KapG and kinghock

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Watch how linesmen handle faceoffs in WJC.. do u see any 30 seconds of bullshit with guys getting kicked out etc?

JJDrums

Oct 27, 2015
Cambridge, Ontario
Watching Clarke with Team Canada I see Jack Johnson. A roamer who makes me extremely nervous defensively. Hope he can tighten up the Defense going forward.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
On bedard's michigan attempt he hit goalie in the mask with his stick. is that not high sticking?
Typically, shots ruled as "follow thru" are exempt from high sticking, though I don't see anything specific in the rulebook.

Czechia up 2-1 after 1. Clarke got a minus for the first goal, but it wasn't his fault. He was covering his man well, and his partner just let his mark get by him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad