GDT: 2023 World Junior Championship Thread (Clarke, Connors, Salin)

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
I'm not an anti Michigan guy, but two attempts in one period kinda rubs me the wrong way. Bedard in particular was very flashy but unstructured that period. Canada has more than enough skill, but needs to tighten things up

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Canadian forwards are a dumpster fire defensively, just out of position all over the place. They are just hoping to out-skill the Czech's

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Canadian forwards are a dumpster fire defensively, just out of position all over the place. They are just hoping to out-skill the Czech's
They really have no idea what to do in the defensive zone. Only time they fall back is if a defenseman pinches.

Dean should get the hook for that headshot. These are junior-aged players, for goodness sake.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
They really have no idea what to do in the defensive zone. Only time they fall back is if a defenseman pinches.

Dean should get the hook for that headshot. These are junior-aged players, for goodness sake.
Yeah, that was a pretty obvious call by IIHF rules, but of course you will have those whining about hockey getting soft.

Reactions: King'sPawn

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
5-2 Czechia during the ensuing 5-minute powerplay. Gaudreau has been awful. Zellweger steps up during the penalty kill and allowed an outnumbered attack.

Canada just looks bad.

Clarke looks okay - all things considered. He was sometimes standing in no-man's land when he was killing the penalty, but ultimately I wouldn't attribute any of the goals to things HE did wrong (I think he's only been on the ice for one of them).

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Earlier today, Craig Button said this Canada team could be "as great as" the 2005 team. You know, the team that had:
Crosby
Bergeron
Getzlaf
Perry
Phaneuf
Weber
Richards
Carter

among others

I'm thinking he's going to reconsider those words very quickly, if he hasn't already.

Also, though - looks like Clarke's been moved up to Zellweger's partner and is now, at least, on the top pairing.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Earlier today, Craig Button said this Canada team could be "as great as" the 2005 team. You know, the team that had:
Crosby
Bergeron
Getzlaf
Perry
Phaneuf
Weber
Richards
Carter

among others

I'm thinking he's going to reconsider those words very quickly, if he hasn't already.

Also, though - looks like Clarke's been moved up to Zellweger's partner and is now, at least, on the top pairing.
Button is an idiot.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Clarke back off the top pairing.

I'll also add that it was not a good look for James Duthie who basically accused the Czechia player of embellishing bleeding.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Oh ffs, I just realized why Zellweger is getting all the ice time (especially on the powerplay). Team Canada's head coach is his junior coach in Everett.

And yes, I do know that Zellweger is a good d-man, but he has not played well. But the coach is hitching his wagon to his top player from Junior.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00