Post-Game Talk: 2023 WJC Medal Games (Jan. 5th): CAN wins GOLD! CZE Silver, USA Bronze

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Do people think Fantilli can, or should, play in the NHL next year?
If he simplifies his game (using his size and speed up and down the wing) as he did in the last two games of the WJC, Fantilli will play in the NHL next year, and play well. As I noted in an earlier post, this kid reminds me of Stephane Richer. It was interesting to watch the reaction of the Czech players once Fantilli got the puck. They went into full retreat mode as this kid started to bust up the ice. We won, so our coaches supposedly made all the right decisions. But I just can't understand why they didn't use Fantilli more. If they did, perhaps our victory may well have been much easier. Let us all hope ( pray) that we are in a position to draft this kid who projects to be a hugely impactful player in the NHL.

Last edited:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
If he simplifies his game (using his size and speed up and down the wing) as he did in the last two games of the WJC, Fantilli will play in the NHL next year, and play well. As I noted in an earlier post, this kid reminds me of Stephane Richer. It was interesting to watch the reaction of the Czech players once Fantilli got the puck. They went into full retreat mode as this kid started to bust up the ice. We won, so our coaches supposedly made all the right decisions. But I just can't understand why they didn't use Fantilli more. If they did, perhaps our victory may well have been much easier. Let us all hope ( pray) that we are in a position to draft this kid who projects to be a hugely impactful player in the NHL.
Seeing as God is busy and doesn't have much time, I'll reserve my prays for Bedard. Fantilli, Carlsson and even Michkov I'll let the fall of the dice decide.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Man, Jiricek was my favourite player in the 2022 draft and his play in this tournament just reinforced that feeling. So jealous of Jackets fans right now.

Reactions: SupRocket

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Do people think Fantilli can, or should, play in the NHL next year?

I hope he pulls a Matty Beniers & goes back for another year. Both are early fall birthdays, so Fantilli will be almost 19 at next year's NHL camp, and 20 if he puts it off year.

It gives him another year of growth and gives him more of a leadership role on 2024 Canada WJC team too.

No player has been hurt by staying a year or 2 more at NCAA.

Fantilli seems to be motivated to start his NHL career right away though.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Just one tournament.. I remember when Robertson was better than Caufield based on a WJC.
Absolutely, the only real notable point is Bystedt and Kulich are also having better regular seasons in tougher leagues. Robertson was never having a better year than Caufield despite Leafs fans pretending the OHL is comparable to the NCAA. Mesar still looks like one of the better picks of the second half of the first round, just unfortunate two of the guys looking better were drafted immediately following him.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Absolutely, the only real notable point is Bystedt and Kulich are also having better regular seasons in tougher leagues. Robertson was never having a better year than Caufield despite Leafs fans pretending the OHL is comparable to the NCAA. Mesar still looks like one of the better picks of the second half of the first round, just unfortunate two of the guys looking better were drafted immediately following him.

Lot of race track left.. nothing to be concerned about. Mesar looked really good as well.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad