Post-Game Talk: 2023 WJC Medal Games (Jan. 5th): CAN wins GOLD! CZE Silver, USA Bronze

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
This might be the year with the highest number of Habs prospects playing in the tourney.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Team USA - Huston (lock)
Team Finland - Kapanen (lock)
Team Austria - Rohrer (lock)
Team Canada - Roy, Beck (locks), Kidney (maybe)
Team Slovakia - Mesar (lock), I don't think they send Slaf
Team Sweden - Engstrom (I assume he makes it)
Is this the most prospects we’ve ever sent?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Not sending Slafkovsky would be a huge mistake. Top line minutes in the best tournament in the world over playing 4th line minutes would be a huge loss in his development. I’d get it if he was a top 6 player, but at this stage, let him dominate and get some confidence to ride when he’s back for the back half of the season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Last one, he was cut, and they think it was because of his size.

Likely cut due to his age/maturity vs his size. He's still eligible to play his age 18 and 19 WJC tournaments.

Got to look at the US D core and how they built it up over the last few years. Hutson will surely be part of the next D core they want to assemble.

Canada is usually very deep at C, hence I'm not sure that Beck is a lock. Wright will probably play in this tourney.

Beck likely makes it and if they are really deep with older players at center, centers can play wing remember? Canada does this all the time.

Beck has a great 200' game and skates well. They will want him to be there and line him up for his age 19 season as well.

Got to look at how Canada is building there Age 18/19 core and how they give experience so they are ready for the age 19 season.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
If this should go in another thread, please feel free to say so.

What is there to do in Halifax in the downtown area?

I'll be on site for the WJC for the holiday season. Other than going to see games at Scotiabank Arena, what should I look forward to?

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
Not sending Slafkovsky would be a huge mistake. Top line minutes in the best tournament in the world over playing 4th line minutes would be a huge loss in his development. I’d get it if he was a top 6 player, but at this stage, let him dominate and get some confidence to ride when he’s back for the back half of the season.
Best tournament in the world? No way.

Plus he's already playing in the best league in the world, against the best teams in the world (Anaheim would destroy the kids, wouldn't even be fun to watch), what's the point of having him play in the WJC?

And I say this is as a huge team Slovakia fan.

I get the feeling that some Habs fans just want to have an elite level prospect play in this tourney, but they don't realize their prospect has already done something much better - become an NHL player.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Best tournament in the world? No way.

Plus he's already playing in the best league in the world, against the best teams in the world (Anaheim would destroy the kids, wouldn't even be fun to watch), what's the point of having him play in the WJC?

And I say this is as a huge team Slovakia fan.

I get the feeling that some Habs fans just want to have an elite level prospect play in this tourney, but they don't realize their prospect has already done something much better - become an NHL player.
If he stays in the 2nd line and gets to have some good touches in the o-zone then I’m all for keeping him here but if we’re going to relegate him down to the 4th line with less than 11min a game of playing time then I’m all For sending him to play more meaningful minutes the the 66min he’ll play in the NHL during the 6 games that we’ll play over during the tourney

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018

I'll be on site for the WJC for the holiday season. Other than going to see games at Scotiabank Arena, what should I look forward to?
Waterfront boardwalk, lots of bars and restaurants close to the arena

JT3

May 27, 2013

As others have mentioned, there's tons of restaurants and bars around downtown. I'm sure they'll be lively throughout the tournament. Head down for a walk along the waterfront boardwalk. Take the ferry across the harbour and take a walk around downtown Dartmouth. The library is worth checking out, pretty neat architecture and usually have things going on there. If you venture down to the south end Point Pleasant Park has plenty of trails for hiking and good views of the Atlantic. Plus some old WW2 structures to take a look at. You can visit the citadel as well, I believe they do tours there, and the cannon goes off each day at noon. Also if you are able to rent a car you can take a quick trip down to Peggy's Cove. Lots to do in Halifax, I can't imagine you'll get too bored. If all else fails, there's always somewhere to get drunk with the locals haha.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad