Player Discussion: 2023 Vezina Finalist Connor Hellebuyck

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
4 x $11m would be tempting for both parties, I'd think. Helly yields on term to become the highest paid netminder, Jets overpay by $2m for four years.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I just saw today's media scrum with Helle.
I'm not sure if any Jets read hfboards but if they do, I've been a registered guide and outfitter for 29 seasons and will take any Winnipeg Jet out for walleye, catfish, smallmouth bass, ducks/geese over water and ruffed/spruce grouse (leaving tomorrow morning for 5 days of grouse hunting in the Nop) for free as long as they are a member of the Jets.
If you are a Jet and reading this and don't hunt/fish, tell Helle, KFC, Iafallo and any others on the team that are interested.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I just saw today's media scrum with Helle.
I'm not sure if any Jets read hfboards but if they do, I've been a registered guide and outfitter for 29 seasons and will take any Winnipeg Jet out for walleye, catfish, smallmouth bass, ducks/geese over water and ruffed/spruce grouse (leaving tomorrow morning for 5 days of grouse hunting in the Nop) for free as long as they are a member of the Jets.
If you are a Jet and reading this and don't hunt/fish, tell Helle, KFC, Iafallo and any others on the team that are interested.
You just told everyone you have the flu. Are you trying to sicken the whole team? :laugh:

Reactions: Inanna

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
4 x $11m would be tempting for both parties, I'd think. Helly yields on term to become the highest paid netminder, Jets overpay by $2m for four years.

Give Hellebuyck $9.5 million/year at the absolute max. It would not make sense paying him $11 million/year, since he is not the undisputed #1 goalie in the NHL for the past several years. I really cannot see the Jets only signing him for 4 years. Considering they signed Byfuglien and Wheeler to longer term deal at the same age, my guess is that the Jets will try to lockdown Helle for 6 years.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think the Jets should sit down before the regular season and give Hellebuyck a serious offer that shows they are going to take some risk on his continued high performance. It might be hard for Hellebuyck to give up that security. He must sense deep down that a so-so season and/or injury would quickly make a lucrative future contract evaporate quickly in this goalie market.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
I think the Jets should sit down before the regular season and give Hellebuyck a serious offer that shows they are going to take some risk on his continued high performance. It might be hard for Hellebuyck to give up that security. He must sense deep down that a so-so season and/or injury would quickly make a lucrative future contract evaporate quickly in this goalie market.
Do you really believe that both 37 & 55 have not been given really good offers? That makes no sense. If they wanted to sign they would already have.

Unless traded they are going to free agency.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson
Nov 24, 2006
Do you really believe that both 37 & 55 have not been given really good offers? That makes no sense. If they wanted to sign they would already have.

At the start of training camp, Scheifele said there was little to no contact between Chevy and his agent. I take that to mean no offer - good or bad - was made.

Not sure about Helle.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I'm sure they have, but maybe not the final offers.

Also, Hellebuyck and Scheifele might well be mulling the pros and cons, hoping for the Jets' best offer.

It's more about when to make the next push.

Reactions: Stumbledore

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
At the start of training camp, Scheifele said there was little to no contact between Chevy and his agent. I take that to mean no offer - good or bad - was made.

Not sure about Helle.
Darren Dreger reported on the day that 55 said that there was no talks that in fact have been talks between the Jets and 55s reps. They have also been trying to sign 37.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Darren Dreger reported on the day that 55 said that there was no talks that in fact have been talks between the Jets and 55s reps. They have also been trying to sign 37.

So Scheifele lied! :eek3:

That's one of the 10 big ones there, Mark. Thou shalt not bear false witness.

church-lady-shame.gif

:laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I still wonder if it's a bit of a domino... Hellebuyck is likely to be the higher priority and higher-paid, so the Jets might want to get his contract situation worked out first, if they can. That might set parameters for Scheifele's deal, both in terms of the salary cap situation and the internal team salary structure.

One thing that Chevy said recently is that they still have some uncertainties about the salary cap for next season (and beyond). If the cap rises by 4 million (as expected), the Jets will have cap space to give both Scheifele and Hellebuyck high cap-hit contracts (which they might need if they aren't giving them long term). But if the cap stays flat, or grows only by about 1M, the Jets could put themselves into a bad cap crunch if they give 55 and 37 high cap-hit deals.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Give Hellebuyck $9.5 million/year at the absolute max. It would not make sense paying him $11 million/year, since he is not the undisputed #1 goalie in the NHL for the past several years. I really cannot see the Jets only signing him for 4 years. Considering they signed Byfuglien and Wheeler to longer term deal at the same age, my guess is that the Jets will try to lockdown Helle for 6 years.
I don't know about going to $ 9.5 mil on Helle ? that's a big risk, and a lot of money against the Cap. When I see teams like Vegas winning with just an above average Goalie for around $ 4 mil,for Ayden Hill, I think I'd like to see the Jets pay him a maximum of $ 8.5 mil.

Scheifele to me is a little more important, as he scores goals and is a center, so if he's not causing problems on the club as rumoured, I think they should go $ 8.5 to $ 9 mil on Scheifele.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I still wonder if it's a bit of a domino... Hellebuyck is likely to be the higher priority and higher-paid, so the Jets might want to get his contract situation worked out first, if they can. That might set parameters for Scheifele's deal, both in terms of the salary cap situation and the internal team salary structure.

One thing that Chevy said recently is that they still have some uncertainties about the salary cap for next season (and beyond). If the cap rises by 4 million (as expected), the Jets will have cap space to give both Scheifele and Hellebuyck high cap-hit contracts (which they might need if they aren't giving them long term). But if the cap stays flat, or grows only by about 1M, the Jets could put themselves into a bad cap crunch if they give 55 and 37 high cap-hit deals.
I don't think it was your intention, but IMO you highlighted Chevy's biggest weakness as a GM. He never (or only very rarely) acts decisively with a bold vision of the future and makes things happen. Instead he sits back in a cautious stance and lets circumstances unfold and then he reacts to those circumstances as best as he can when his hand is forced.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I don't think it was your intention, but IMO you highlighted Chevy's biggest weakness as a GM. He never (or only very rarely) acts decisively with a bold vision of the future and makes things happen. Instead he sits back in a cautious stance and lets circumstances unfold and then he reacts to those circumstances as best as he can when his hand is forced.

Yep. Highly reactive. He's the Sodium GM

Tho from his various gnomic pronouncements over the summer it seems as if Chevy's bold vision of the future is to make the playoffs consistently.

The "how" of that bold vision, or its trajectory over various terms is less clear to me.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Yeah if he wants to bring them back then he needs to put his best hand on the table. He can figure out his cap later. That is what most of the other contenders do.

If he needs to pay someone to take a Pionk next summer then so be it.

Or if your worried about one or both killing your cap with a bad deal then you have your answer and don't even entertain bringing them back.

The flip side is it might be the players who want to see how the team looks this year before committing. If that is the case then he likely has to let things play out.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah if he wants to bring them back then he needs to put his best hand on the table. He can figure out his cap later. That is what most of the other contenders do.

If he needs to pay someone to take a Pionk next summer then so be it.

Or if your worried about one or both killing your cap with a bad deal then you have your answer and don't even entertain bringing them back.

The flip side is it might be the players who want to see how the team looks this year before committing. If that is the case then he likely has to let things play out.
But if this is the case Chevy has left himself in a position of weakness. No doubt the job isn't easy, but it is hard to have to always try and make the best of a situation with your back pressed firmly against the wall. I'll give Chevy some credit that he has pulled off some pretty decent deals in tough situations, it is just not the ideal position to always find yourself in.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
But if this is the case Chevy has left himself in a position of weakness. No doubt the job isn't easy, but it is hard to have to always try and make the best of a situation with your back pressed firmly against the wall. I'll give Chevy some credit that he has pulled off some pretty decent deals in tough situations, it is just not the ideal position to always find yourself in.

I don't disagree. I get wanting to work hard to keep talent here. It's likely not easy to acquire in this market but sometime you need to be proactive. The Laine trade would be an example of one such proactive move, but many are deadline driven. Who knows maybe that is when the value is highest for his players.

Reactions: KingBogo

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3