Player Discussion: 2023 Vezina Finalist Connor Hellebuyck

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Good Helle being back just gives the team such a better floor. You know he's going to keep you in almost every game and steal a few, so if the boys don't show up for a full 60 we can keep stealing points.

yeah ive always maintained over the years with the Jets top-6 and Helle they should always be a good floor team. helle is to good to ever make this team suck super badly.

imo there's only a handful of elite goalies in the NHL, there's goalies capable of having elite seasons but the consistency and reliability of the small few is the main differentiator in categorizing the elite vs non-elite.

Using GA vs xGA as a criteria

over the last 3 full seasons: Helle, Saros, Shesterkin, Sorokin and Vas are the only ones to appear in the top-10 in GA vs xGA each season. this year so far it's Helle and Shesterkin w/ Sorokin is 11th (both Boston goalies are top 10). you'll have goalies that are capable of having fantastic years (ie: Demko, Talbot, Georgiev, Oettinger, Jarry, MAF) but the consistency might not be there of the aforementioned goaltenders. Over the years, Boston i think b/c of their defensive acumen is a team you can basically throw an above-average goalie in and get great results, but idk how many teams have a team like Boston.

in my view - since there's only very few consistent goalies, 20+ teams will probably be dealing with the inconsistencies, or chasing journeyman goalies or no-name guys. and the teams who have the super reliable goalie probably are not trading them.

Reactions: hn777

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
I still recall the Pavelec years, and how goaltending was a problem for the team. Being impressed by guys like Montoya and Hutchinson, wanting them to replace Pavs at times. We have been spoiled with Helle. So glad we resigned him.
I do not miss the Pavelec years. So nice not to worry about goaltending going into the season.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

League save % excluding the Jets during that same period is 0.899 LOL

And now, for something completely negative...

The takeaway: Since the 1986-87 season, the first NHL season to include four best-of-seven rounds in the playoffs, only three goalies went on to win the Stanley Cup during the same season in which they won the Vezina Trophy.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

The takeaway: Since the 1986-87 season, the first NHL season to include four best-of-seven rounds in the playoffs, only three goalies went on to win the Stanley Cup during the same season in which they won the Vezina Trophy.

Honestly, that's what I call a cool story bro. Such a riveting tale, I honestly copy and pasted it to word, saved on my hard drive, backed it up on a jump drive, drove to the bank, put the jump drive in the safe deposit box, and will leave it there until my kids turn about 12 (when they can actually state their age, and ask what it is I'm showing them), when I will pick it up, put it in an old USB drive reader and relay this cool story to them and tell them, "kids, this is what a cool story should look and sound like...not like the stories your generation tells.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

Arguing goaltender performance and basing it on a GAA-related stat = instant, irredeemable failure. At least the guy corrected it afterwards.

On a somewhat related note, the best thing the NHL has ever achieved is convincing fans that playoff performance has something to do with measuring skill and talent. They offer fans 82 games a year to pretty reliably determine who the best teams and players are, yet most of them actually believe that it's the set of four incredibly small sample sizes after those 82 games that actually matters. And thus we look for playoff performers, who often are either a) already good players, or b) lucky as f*** in one year. Oh well.

Reactions: MardyBum

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Arguing goaltender performance and basing it on a GAA-related stat = instant, irredeemable failure. At least the guy corrected it afterwards.

On a somewhat related note, the best thing the NHL has ever achieved is convincing fans that playoff performance has something to do with measuring skill and talent. They offer fans 82 games a year to pretty reliably determine who the best teams and players are, yet most of them actually believe that it's the set of four incredibly small sample sizes after those 82 games that actually matters. And thus we look for playoff performers, who often are either a) already good players, or b) lucky as f*** in one year. Oh well.
What's wrong with playoff performers?
I'd put Lowry Pionk Scheif in that category and from what I've heard, Iafallo and Volare up their games in the post-season. I can put up with Pionk's regular season if he keeps stepping up in the playoffs.
As far as Lowry goes, I think he has been our most consistent playoff performer since we started making the playoffs. If he goes into a funk, I don't care. I know he ups his game in the playoffs.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
What's wrong with playoff performers?
I'd put Lowry Pionk Scheif in that category and from what I've heard, Iafallo and Volare up their games in the post-season. I can put up with Pionk's regular season if he keeps stepping up in the playoffs.
As far as Lowry goes, I think he has been our most consistent playoff performer since we started making the playoffs. If he goes into a funk, I don't care. I know he ups his game in the playoffs.
People mistake players who had a lucky playoff run for players who somehow consistently improve in the postseason. They take a small sample size of what is one playoff series at worst, get enamoured with it, and stop thinking straight. Crazy. It would be fine if it was just fans doing it, fans aren't meant to get nearly everything, but there are GMs who also think this way.

Be a good regular season team, get to the playoffs a lot, hope and pray that one year, you don't run into a scorching hot goaltender + your goalie doesn't shit the bed. It's literally that simple.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
People mistake players who had a lucky playoff run for players who somehow consistently improve in the postseason. They take a small sample size of what is one playoff series at worst, get enamoured with it, and stop thinking straight. Crazy. It would be fine if it was just fans doing it, fans aren't meant to get nearly everything, but there are GMs who also think this way.

Be a good regular season team, get to the playoffs a lot, hope and pray that one year, you don't run into a scorching hot goaltender + your goalie doesn't shit the bed. It's literally that simple.
I misinterpreted you?

Gordon112358

Nov 1, 2022
Since the Art Ross is not a runaway winner like it often is with McDavid I think the Hart is up for grabs. I will state that if Hellebuyck has a similar (or at least close to similar) second half he will definitely get some serious consideration.
Unfortunately the Hart seems to go to the Art Ross winner or someone way up in the scoring leaders. While this is one criteria to use I think it needs to be looked at more broadly.
It's hard to ignore when McDavid puts up 150 points. But this season I think the top scorer will be lower so Hellebuyck I think will have a decent shot at winning the Hart.
It will be hard to ignore if his stats sheet looks something like this.
2.20 .930 40-14-6.

Reactions: hn777 and DRW204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Since the Art Ross is not a runaway winner like it often is with McDavid I think the Hart is up for grabs. I will state that if Hellebuyck has a similar (or at least close to similar) second half he will definitely get some serious consideration.
Unfortunately the Hart seems to go to the Art Ross winner or someone way up in the scoring leaders. While this is one criteria to use I think it needs to be looked at more broadly.
It's hard to ignore when McDavid puts up 150 points. But this season I think the top scorer will be lower so Hellebuyck I think will have a decent shot at winning the Hart.
It will be hard to ignore if his stats sheet looks something like this.
2.20 .930 40-14-6.
i do think he should be in consideration. probably him or Mackinnon would be my first half MVP. however it probably would take a "down" year from the Fwds to prop him up more in the eyes of the voters i feel. ie: Price in 14-15 won it w/ the highest Fwd scoring 87 pts.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
That, but also that Chevy got players who were ready to step in and help a team win, not a rebuild trade like picks and prospects. Masterful trade by Chevy.
Ya there is a good chance had Chevy traded Dubois just for picks that we would have lost Helly and Scheifele as well and maybe for absolutely nothing as they were free agents . We would have been starting all over again and who knows how long before we MAYBE hit on all of our draft picks and become competitive again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad